Page 99 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsly View Post
    Do I still use the same commands you wrote underneath to fix this, even though my set up is slightly different than mounting shares directly on a server/partition?
    I keep the howto current. What you see in the first post is the very latest information. There is a fix for all versions up to Ibex, as well as a Jaunty specific fix for that error.

The error you get is actually a client side error, so it doesn't matter how your servers are set up.
    Last edited by dmizer; June 18th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh, ok.... gotcha...

And nice work for keeping this thread active for 2 years +

Thanks very much mate...
    Last edited by Ginsly; June 18th, 2009 at 12:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello all,

First of all gratz for the great guide. I have an issue on mount using cifs:

When I mount the shared folder, I have full read-write perm. But when i create a subfolder for example, this folder is ro to me! I cannot write anything...I have faced the same issue on that at the past but I googled it and found it.If I remember correctly, it's an issue with file_mode and dir_mode but cannot remember what...Anyone can help me on that?

My mount line in fstab:
    //server/share /mnt/folder cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=07 77 0 0

I want full read-write perm to everyone (shame on me )
    Last edited by NexusGS; June 28th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

I have followed your tutorial rigourously and complete all the Pre-work, but when I try to mount my XP sharename, it tells me "mount error(112): Host is down." Can you help?

FWIW, I'm new at Ubuntu/Linux so it really needs to kept simple (beginnger level) for me.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: [8.10] I did sumpin bad, now it won't see Winboxes

I'm back, after travel and illness. Okay. I've set up fstab et al so the Xubuntu box will see network machines that are up when it boots.

Now I am ready to try to dynamically connect.
    Last edited by billswan; June 27th, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Recovered the forgotten command.

Beans

Read: "browse"

smbtree output:
    E-----N
    \\XUBUNTU-B xubuntu-b server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    \\XUBUNTU-B\DESKJET-660C DESKJET-660C
    \\XUBUNTU-B\HP5150 HP5150
    \\XUBUNTU-B\IPC$ IPC Service (xubuntu-b server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    \\XUBUNTU-B\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\DELL-C600 An Innea

xubuntu-b is this machine. DELL-C600 has an open share (for now) but is rarely on so I'd like to browse it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello all,

First of all gratz for the great guide. I have an issue on mount using cifs:

When I mount the shared folder, I have full read-write perm. But when i create a subfolder for example, this folder is ro to me! I cannot write anything...I have faced the same issue on that at the past but I googled it and found it.If I remember correctly, it's an issue with file_mode and dir_mode but cannot remember what...Anyone can help me on that?

My mount line in fstab:
    //server/share /mnt/folder cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=07 77 0 0

I want full read-write perm to everyone (shame on me )
    I have to inform you that I found out what was the problem:

There is a bug in Samba that only appears on mount shares on Unix system (that's what I found at Internet) and you can just fix it by adding the "noperm" in fstab or in mount command, for example:

//server/share /mnt/folder cifs guest,noperm,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=07 77 0 0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by billswan View Post
    I'm back, after travel and illness. Okay. I've set up fstab et al so the Xubuntu box will see network machines that are up when it boots.

Now I am ready to try to dynamically connect.
    Well, your time away has given me the time to write a tutorial for your exact problem. See the 6th link in my sig

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by juliet charley View Post
    I have followed your tutorial rigourously and complete all the Pre-work, but when I try to mount my XP sharename, it tells me "mount error(112): Host is down." Can you help?

FWIW, I'm new at Ubuntu/Linux so it really needs to kept simple (beginnger level) for me.

Thanks.
    Please post the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree
    And post your current /etc/fstab line (or mount command)

Beans

It seems my reply got lost. Thought I was there for a bit but backtracking in Thunar produced a "Transport endpoint is not connected" error. Reading through on a search on that message it appears some module is not thread-safe and a reversion to an earlier one worked for somebody. Naturally, the link to what that person used (for xubuntu 8.10, same as me) is dead.
    <p>
    And very shortly I will be away from this machine for nearly a month, both business and vacation travel. Oh well, will try to pick it up when I'm back.

Page 99 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast