Page 91 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Hi, i had the same problems and i fixed like this.

this is my sftab file

Code:
    //23.11.74.90/Media 	/mnt/media 	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    //23.11.74.90/Document	/mnt/document 	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    //23.11.74.90/Files	/mnt/files	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    I hope this help you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by pajarraco View Post
    Hi, i had the same problems and i fixed like this.

this is my sftab file

Code:
    //23.11.74.90/Media 	/mnt/media 	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    //23.11.74.90/Document	/mnt/document 	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    //23.11.74.90/Files	/mnt/files	smbfs iocharset=utf8,username=MyUsername,password=MyPassword,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0
    I hope this help you

Thank you so much (to everyone). This, finally worked for me.

NOTE: Even though in 9.04, the problem loggin out is present and you have to umount your cifs units before shutdown, otherwise, a pretty freeze is shown.

Best regards!
    Pepe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@dmizer - Thanks for the guide, I was able to resolve issues I was having with my EeePC seeing my Samba shares correctly by following the pre-work steps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    @dmizer - Thanks for the guide, I was able to resolve issues I was having with my EeePC seeing my Samba shares correctly by following the pre-work steps.
    My pleasure.

I also posted a condensed version of the fix in that thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I'm a new Ubuntu user, and dmizer, the "nounix" option worked for me. What does that option actually do?
    Thanks for the guide..

Beans

Thank you for this post it was very helpful to me. Something that might be helpful to other is that I had to unmount the share, and remount the share in order for the change to take effect. Using mount -a didn't make a difference in the effectivness of the iocharset variable. A umount, then a mount works perfect. Thanks again.

Beans

Hi dmizer:
    This is my first post on this forum.
    I am at the end of my first week learning ubuntu-
    I am trying to set up a samba pdc and I might say the progress is noticeable.
    My only problem is that I cannot make other admin group users see and edit files on a samba server share, from a winXP machine. Only the root account has been allowed to do that. It is of course a clear case of permissions. How can I change the permissions on those shares so that the files can be accessed by other people than myself (root)?
    I have tried to apply your remedy but Iºm a afraid that is too difficult for me at this stage. Basically I have found my UID and GID but I donºt know how to insert them in the fstab file. What do you mean by netbiosname/sharename and media/sharename? And how exactly should I edit the fstab file?
    Please help me. My PDC is almost up and running.
    Many thanks in advance.

Quote:
    Files owned by root. If you can view but not change, delete, or add new files to your Samba share, try this fix:

1) Find your uid and gid (normally both are 1000, but double check):
    Code:

cat /etc/passwd | grep ubuntu-username

The output will look something like this (my uid and gid are marked in red):
    Code:

$ cat /etc/passwd | grep dmizer
    dmizer:1000:1000:dmizer,,,:/home/dmizer:/bin/bash

2) Add gid, uid, and nounix options to your fstab line like so:
    Code:

//netbiosname/sharename /media/sharename cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,gid=1000,uid=1000,n ounix,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0 (end of quote)

Beans

Thank you immensely. After fighting a network storage drive for a day the first post on this thread hooked me right up perfect. Its there through a reboot and everything. SHWEEEEEEEEEET!

Beans

Welllllllll I aint quite outta the woods yet. I can access the drive fine but I tried to start moving some data over there and it says I don't have the permission to do that.

I think it is only a tiny fix but not sure where to go. Could I have a pointer? Please?

Thanks

Beans

Is this a problem with my Ubuntu box or with the network storage drive?

Page 91 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast