Page 82 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Stupid question --

If CIFS is the client, and you are mounting windows shares -- what is the server? What is Windows running that functions as the server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    The more often you visit those directories, the less time it will take to load them. For directories with huge numbers of files, the more you visit them the less time it will take to load (providing that there is not frequent and significant changes to the directory content).
    It's always same waiting time to parse the content. Btw, those folders are in production enviroment, so 50 ppl are continuosly accesing their content.

Just to make sure I point the problem to the right direction, .thumbnails on client side is feeding with png's awright, so yes, it takes faster every time to show up preview icons in nautilus, but unfortenatly I have to always wait arround 30 seconds every time I click the shared cifs resource with arround 4000 files to parse, in the mean time, all mounted media disapear from desktop, there is system "flash" during reading process.

Your LAN performance will also effect this. For example, if you are mounting the folders over wireless, you're going to notice a slowdown as the content loads. If you are connected via cat5, I suggest you look into your network throughput.
    Thought about that too. Since my Office has mingled clients half are Windows XP, half Ubuntu 25/25. Windows XP clients do not have this problem, they parse content in a blink of second (even with 4000 files in the folder) so I ruled out LAN throughput. I use cat5 cabling.

The reason for this, is that with fstab, you are physically mounting the content on your local drive. The advantage to this is that you get improved performance for file transfers, but one disadvantage is that large directories with lots of files will take time to cache the first several times through.
    How do you suggest to mount them then (automaticly) to excape this annoying problem?

Code:
    # CIFS Bring windows shares to LBox

//einstein/Gotovi /home/VECERPRES/bojan/Gotovi cifs exec,credentials=/etc/cifspw 0 0
    //paladin/Foto\ arhiva /home/VECERPRES/bojan/Foto cifs exec,credentials=/etc/cifspw 0 0
    //paladin/Rabotni /home/VECERPRES/bojan/Rabotni cifs exec,credentials=/etc/cifspwRW 0 0

# NFS Resursi on Ubuntu Server

Sylvanas:/home/Bojan /home/VECERPRES/bojan/Documents nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192
    This is my actual Fstab.
    Last edited by moTaro; January 2nd, 2009 at 12:55 AM.
    =----- God is a Machine -----=
    ....... powered by Linux .......

Beans
    Hidden!

Great! I have a D-Link DNS-323 and using your instructions it was a breeze. Thanks a lot!

Domo arigato gozaimasu!
    Last edited by hashimoto; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
    BR
    Hashimoto

Ubuntu user since 4.10.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Stupid question --

If CIFS is the client, and you are mounting windows shares -- what is the server? What is Windows running that functions as the server?
    Not so stupid at all, I had to do some digging to find the answer, which is also not so simple. It depends on what version of Windows you are using. XP pro relies on "classic" file sharing which is based on the closed source version of SMB (Server Message Block). Home versions of XP use "Simple File Sharing UI", and I was unable to determine what that was based on, but it is compatible with both the closed and open source versions of SMB and CIFS.

Quote Originally Posted by moTaro View Post
    It's always same waiting time to parse the content. Btw, those folders are in production enviroment, so 50 ppl are continuosly accesing their content.

Just to make sure I point the problem to the right direction, .thumbnails on client side is feeding with png's awright, so yes, it takes faster every time to show up preview icons in nautilus, but unfortenatly I have to always wait arround 30 seconds every time I click the shared cifs resource with arround 4000 files to parse, in the mean time, all mounted media disapear from desktop, there is system "flash" during reading process.[snip]
    I've been looking for a possible solution for this problem, but I have not been very successful.

Does the problem persist if you disable thumbnail preview? Thumbnail preview in Ubuntu is significantly more sophisticated than in Windows, and this could be a possible explanation for the difference in speed.

Quote Originally Posted by hashimoto View Post
    Great! I have a D-Link DNS-323 and using your instructions it was a breeze. Thanks a lot!

Domo arigato gozaimasu!
    どういたしまして (^-^)
    Last edited by dmizer; January 5th, 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Beans

Ah ha, I missed your edit. CIFS does not like spaces before and after the equal sign. Try removing them and see if that fixes your problem.
    That did the trick, thanks a lot for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Does the problem persist if you disable thumbnail preview? Thumbnail preview in Ubuntu is significantly more sophisticated than in Windows, and this could be a possible explanation for the difference in speed.
    There is slight difference in performance that way, but still I need the preview icon display.

Interesting this might seem to be Gnome & Nautilus issue after all, not Cifs it self. I will try Kubuntu, I hate KDE but when resolving a problem I am willing to try every radical possible solutions, Will see if KDE performes same way.

I will update.

Beans
    Distro

There is slight difference in performance that way, but still I need the preview icon display.

Interesting this might seem to be Gnome & Nautilus issue after all, not Cifs it self. I will try Kubuntu, I hate KDE but when resolving a problem I am willing to try every radical possible solutions, Will see if KDE performes same way.

I will update.
    I might also suggest trying Thunnar in Gnome. Thunnar isn't as sophisticated as Nautilus, but you may find it more speedy and still may be able to serve your needs. That or a just try Xubuntu (much closer to Gnome in look and feel, and uses Thunnar rather than Nautilus). This should get you thumbnails without quite as much overhead.

Beans
    Distro

@dmizer, thank you very much for your feedback.

For the record, I tried KDE's dolphin it's even slower regarding that issue (thank god, I just cant do Kde, just can't). I will now switch back to gnome and try Thunnar as suggested and will also try xubuntu as last step.

Thank you for your responses once again, you've been great, and you have earned my respect!

P.S. Edited... Xubuntu's Thunar Kicks ***. Very Acceptable performance!
    Last edited by moTaro; January 7th, 2009 at 12:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

P.S. Edited... Xubuntu's Thunar Kicks ***. Very Acceptable performance!
    Sweet! That's music to my ears.

Beans

Angry Mounting the DFS root for a perticular server not implemented yet

I want linux command/shell script similar to ‘net use’ (windows)
    I feel mount is one of the ways to get access of network drives on linux.
    I need help regarding the mounting network device with ubuntu. The scenario is as follow.
    I am using mount.cifs. It is working when I give some shared dir with servername but what we want is mounting with only host name
    i.e.:
    mount.cifs //servername/shared /mydir/mountpoint -o user=username password=mypassword domain=mydomain
    is working fine ,but
    mount.cifs //servername /mydir/mountpoint -o user=username password=mypassword domain=mydomain
    is not working.
    If any other way or approach can help to achieve the same than plz let me know.

Page 82 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast