Page 77 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

dmizer,

I'm not sure what language encoding my bajoerg shares are. How would I find out?

I'm also not sure what an AD network is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by artio View Post
    dmizer,

I'm not sure what language encoding my bajoerg shares are. How would I find out?
    Well, they do not appear to be in utf8, so what language are the file names written in? There may only be one option for your language, but if not, it will essentially come down to trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by artio View Post
    I'm also not sure what an AD network is.
    AD means "Active Directory". You may have to contact the network administrator to find out for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Question Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

I am mounting folders from a NAS. I can manage files on the drive no problem but when I use a program like gedit or bluefish to edit a file they cannot save the file.

mount command used: sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.141/Volume_1/docs /media/docs -o username=uname,password=pass,iocharset=utf8,file_m ode=0777,dir_mode=0777

gedit error is "Unexpected error: Not a directory" and bluefish just says "Cannot write file".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by reets View Post
    I am mounting folders from a NAS. I can manage files on the drive no problem but when I use a program like gedit or bluefish to edit a file they cannot save the file.
    [snip]
    gedit error is "Unexpected error: Not a directory" and bluefish just says "Cannot write file".
    I discuss this issue in the howto:
    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    A bug (described here) in gedit prevents gedit from saving to files located on CIFS mounted shares. If you need to use gedit, you should explore other share options. This is not a bug with Samba or CIFS, so other text editors will work fine. Thank you MountainX for reporting this very helpful information. *Update* Possible workaround for this error is located here. Please post if this fixes your gedit problem.

Beans
    Distro

http://chrisnicholls.ca/2008/03/22/u...being-annoyed/

that link no longer exists for the possible gedit fix. i tried bluefish and nano to edit the same file and both gave a similar error as gedit.

OpenOffice gives a possibly better error. "The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights." Keep in mind i am able to add, move, and delete files on the drives so i don't think it's a permissions issue.

Beans
    Distro

http://chrisnicholls.ca/2008/03/22/u...being-annoyed/

that link no longer exists for the possible gedit fix.
    Well that's not good news.

i tried bluefish and nano to edit the same file and both gave a similar error as gedit.

OpenOffice gives a possibly better error. "The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights." Keep in mind i am able to add, move, and delete files on the drives so i don't think it's a permissions issue.
    There is also a note about this under the troubleshooting section. You may be able to resolve this issue by adding the nobrl option like so:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.141/Volume_1/docs /media/docs -o username=uname,password=pass,iocharset=utf8,nobrl,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Beans
    Distro

tried the nobrl and nounix options (seperately by umounting and then remounting with the other option) and same error message. i also get this error on folders on the drive that are not protected with a user/pass combo.

not sure if this matters but mounting the same docs folder in windows vista and editing the same files works fine.
    Last edited by reets; November 21st, 2008 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

tried the nobrl and nounix options (seperately by umounting and then remounting with the other option) and same error message. i also get this error on folders on the drive that are not protected with a user/pass combo.

not sure if this matters but mounting the same docs folder in windows vista and editing the same files works fine.
    Try mounting via fstab. You'll need to add the winbind options for name resolution as outlined under the prework. Then you'll need to edit /etc/fstab and add this line:

Code:
    //netbiosname/Volume_1/docs /media/docs cifs username=uname,password=pass,iocharset=utf8,nobrl,nounix,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    You'll need to change netbiosname to the actual netbios name of your Windows computer. For more information on that, see post #2 in this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi there again

I'm having uses unmounting my CIFS shares on shut down.
    HTML Code:
    CIFS VFS: Server not responding
    Takes about 5 mins to get past a number of errors like this.

Any ideas? Have upgraded to 8.10 now.

Scoopy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
    Hi there again

I'm having uses unmounting my CIFS shares on shut down.
    HTML Code:
    CIFS VFS: Server not responding
    Takes about 5 mins to get past a number of errors like this.

Any ideas? Have upgraded to 8.10 now.

Scoopy
    This thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293513 is linked under my "Troubleshooting" section with the title "CIFS VFS error on shutdown"

Page 77 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast