Page 76 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by lviggiani View Post
    Well, "Places > Connect to Server" I knew and it works both as FTP and CIFS.
    My problem is that I need to mount the share in my file system because I also have programs running with wine that need to access that remote folder.
    Double check the permissions on the NAS itself. Does it have any way of verifying the uid and gid of the nas user?

What line did you use when you tried to mount the NAS with NFS?

Quote Originally Posted by fcigoi View Post
    Hi Dmizer,

I have set up the connection between an Intel NAS and my machines using your how-to, and it worked very well.
    However, I have bumped into a problem once I tried to set up other users on such machines to access only certain shares on the NAS.
    Having set up the mounts in fstab, whatever user logs on to a specific machine, it will get the same shares as me....NO GOOD.
    I'm sure there's a way to allow the other users to access only their share, and me to access all, but I don't think fstab is the way to go. What's the suggested alternatives ?
    It is significantly more difficult. You'll need to set up mounts with autofs as discussed in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959123

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Double check the permissions on the NAS itself. Does it have any way of verifying the uid and gid of the nas user?

What line did you use when you tried to mount the NAS with NFS?

It is significantly more difficult. You'll need to set up mounts with autofs as discussed in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=959123
    Good question!
    I tried but when try so, (afer some seconds) I get an error (internal error) and the mount fails. Since I didn't find any help on that (and again since cifs was working in Hardy) at the end a gave up...

Beans

Mmhhh this is me being thick, but I had a look at that thread you mentioned, and also at that referenced in there, but could not find anything that looked useful for my needs.
    What I need is something to allow mounting of shares A,B and C to user 1, B to user 2 and C to user 3. How can I achieve that with Autofs ? Can you give me an example ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lviggiani View Post
    Good question!
    I tried but when try so, (afer some seconds) I get an error (internal error) and the mount fails. Since I didn't find any help on that (and again since cifs was working in Hardy) at the end a gave up...
    I really think NFS will be your long term answer to this problem. Try NFS again, and if you are unsuccessful, post a thread in the networking & wireless forum, and send me a pm with a link to the thread.

Alternatively, see if your NAS has any firmware updates available. That may fix your problem as well.

Beans
    Distro

Mmhhh this is me being thick, but I had a look at that thread you mentioned, and also at that referenced in there, but could not find anything that looked useful for my needs.
    What I need is something to allow mounting of shares A,B and C to user 1, B to user 2 and C to user 3. How can I achieve that with Autofs ? Can you give me an example ?
    You're not thick, I linked the wrong thread ...

Take a look here instead: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=961624

Beans

I keep feeling thick. I read through the new link, but it appears to be more suited to a need to mount different shares, with different usernames and password to the same machine for everyone's use than to mount each share to a different user.

Beans
    Distro

I keep feeling thick. I read through the new link, but it appears to be more suited to a need to mount different shares, with different usernames and password to the same machine for everyone's use than to mount each share to a different user.
    Nope, that link is what you need. The main part of autofs is in auto.master file where all the shares are mapped, but the only way the auto.master file can be triggered is by the /home/user/.auto.smb file in each respective users's home directory.

So, auto.master has the maps for all the shares (A B and C), but none are mounted on boot. When user 1 logs in and clicks on the directory mapped in the auto.master file, the users custom /home/user1/.auto.smb triggers the mount for share B. So user 1 cannot see A or C because they are not even mounted.

That's the sum total of my knowledge of autofs. It's difficult for me to explain it well, because I have only used it once.

Beans

Ok, I start seeing some light now. I'll give it a try tonight....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Amazing help that's been given on this thread, dmizer!

I have a similar problem as lviggiani. On xubuntu 8.04.1, after connecting to my university via vpnc, I use

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs -o user=bajoerg,domain=d.ethz.ch //hes-server/pepe-home$/users/b/bajoerg /home/joerg/bajoerg
    in an xterm, the mounted directory shows in red and ls -l says:

?????????? ? ? ? ? ? bajoerg

information that might help eliminate some possible causes:
    - mounting the department's public folder, as opposed to my private folder, works ok (mount -t cifs -o user=bajoerg,domain=d.ethz.ch //hes-server/pepe$ /home/joerg/pepe)
    - mounting my private folder with the same vpnc configuration/connection and mount command on an ubuntu 8.10 box works (vpnc version is 0.5.1 on both boxes; smbfs on xubuntu 8.04.1 is 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.7, smbfs on ubuntu 8.10 is 2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3)
    - I've tried different -o additions, such as _netdev,file_mod=0777,dir_mode=0777, iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000 in different combinations, but nothing works

I still get a "mounted" folder that is inaccessible, i.e.
    Code:
    ls bajoerg
    gives
    Code:
    ls: cannot access bajoerg: No such file or directory
    When I umount it, I get it back as
    drwxr-xr-x 2 joerg joerg 6 2008-11-16 11:01 bajoerg

Any ideas? Thanks in advance?

Beans
    Distro

artio, what language encoding are the bajoerg shares? Are you attemting to connect to shares on an AD network?

Page 76 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast