Page 26 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    fantastic! glad to hear you got it working.

    as far as security goes. obviously the problem here is that anyone who can connect to your network (wireless?) could potentially connect to your nfs shares. however, keep in mind of course that windows computers won't be able to connect to nfs shares.

    and frankly ... i use the same nfs configuration for my network shares.

  2. #252
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    8

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    fantastic! glad to hear you got it working.

    as far as security goes. obviously the problem here is that anyone who can connect to your network (wireless?) could potentially connect to your nfs shares. however, keep in mind of course that windows computers won't be able to connect to nfs shares.

    and frankly ... i use the same nfs configuration for my network shares.
    Good to hear! And once again, thanks a lot!

  3. #253
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    I'm using Kubuntu 7.04 connected to a WesternDigital MyBook World Edition NAS.

    It mounts, but I get problems with writing to the NAS.
    If I do a smbfs mount, I get full access, but it is too slow to use.

    fstab line:
    \\192.168.0.99\public /media/pub cifs credentials=/etc/fstab_smb_credentials_1,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0 777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

    I get rw-access to files and directories in the root (not user root) /media/pub, but not to the subobjects.

    For /media/pub:
    drwxrwxr-x 8 root www-data 0 2007-05-12 11:29 pub
    And for ALL subobjects to /media/pub
    drwxr-xr-x 7 www-data www-data 0 2007-05-05 11:29 music

    I have added myself to the group www-data, but that only gave me rw to the first level of /media/pub.

    I've tried some chmod and chowns, as sudo, but the result is things like this:
    chown: changing ownership of `music': Permission denied

    Anyone?

  4. #254
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brisbane AU
    Beans
    1
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    thank you all, great guide.
    Works for me except for the following error messae:

    [18.312000] CIFS VFS: Server not responding
    [18.312000] No response for cmd 5 mid 8

    displayed at the end of shutdown process. Hangs around on screen for several seconds befor switch off.
    Any ideas what is causing it and how to get rid of it?

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by trixon View Post
    I'm using Kubuntu 7.04 connected to a WesternDigital MyBook World Edition NAS.

    It mounts, but I get problems with writing to the NAS.
    If I do a smbfs mount, I get full access, but it is too slow to use.

    fstab line:
    \\192.168.0.99\public /media/pub cifs credentials=/etc/fstab_smb_credentials_1,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0 777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

    I get rw-access to files and directories in the root (not user root) /media/pub, but not to the subobjects.

    For /media/pub:
    drwxrwxr-x 8 root www-data 0 2007-05-12 11:29 pub
    And for ALL subobjects to /media/pub
    drwxr-xr-x 7 www-data www-data 0 2007-05-05 11:29 music

    I have added myself to the group www-data, but that only gave me rw to the first level of /media/pub.

    I've tried some chmod and chowns, as sudo, but the result is things like this:
    chown: changing ownership of `music': Permission denied

    Anyone?
    i'm afraid i found zero information on your nas device. i did find lots of information with people having folder permission problems in windows. also, your device doesn't work with mac, and it doesn't work in vista yet.

    was the www-data folder created with mionet? if so, you may not be able to get access to it under cifs.

    Quote Originally Posted by v4ebp View Post
    thank you all, great guide.
    Works for me except for the following error messae:

    [18.312000] CIFS VFS: Server not responding
    [18.312000] No response for cmd 5 mid 8

    displayed at the end of shutdown process. Hangs around on screen for several seconds befor switch off.
    Any ideas what is causing it and how to get rid of it?
    i'm still working on this one. i'll post again if i come up with an answer for you.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    was the www-data folder created with mionet? if so, you may not be able to get access to it under cifs.
    www-data is not a folder on my nas, it is a auto created group and a user on my kubuntu system.
    I do not use mionet.

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    45
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by v4ebp View Post
    thank you all, great guide.
    Works for me except for the following error messae:

    [18.312000] CIFS VFS: Server not responding
    [18.312000] No response for cmd 5 mid 8

    displayed at the end of shutdown process. Hangs around on screen for several seconds befor switch off.
    Any ideas what is causing it and how to get rid of it?
    Me too, but hangs around for more than a few seconds for me. Would love to know what's causing it.

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    are either of you using vmware?

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Beans
    45
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    I did have it installed, but not anymore. I reinstalled 7.04 over my '/' partition, leaving my '/home' untouched - could be there's some remnants of vmware hanging around?

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by trixon View Post
    www-data is not a folder on my nas, it is a auto created group and a user on my kubuntu system.
    I do not use mionet.
    i'm really sorry to say ... but nas devices have been particularly troublesome. from experience in this thread, i'd say that probably about 50% work with no trouble. probably 15-20% will work with a firmware upgrade, and the rest are hopeless. from what i've been reading about your device, i'd place it squarely in the latter category.

    you should probably keep your eye open for a firmware update which will likely be released soon so the device can work with vista. beyond that i'm sincerely sorry to report that i have nothing else to offer you.

Page 26 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •