Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

  1. #1201
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    37

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Linux is not Windows, so it doesn't matter if Windows works or not, it could still be a firewall problem. Try without it.
    To make sure it wasn't a firewall problem, I had my router forward port 445 to the correct computer, and I opened up port 445 in the Windows Firewall.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Does the share mount if you run this command?
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    No, it still hangs with the same error displayed in dmesg.

    Here is the output:

    Code:
    tylergreen@singularity:~$ sudo mount -v -a
    mount: proc already mounted on /proc
    mount: UUID=9647ecf0-850e-4afd-96ee-a23c0ea4c988 already mounted on /boot
    
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: unc=//$IP_ADDRESS\SharedDocs,ip=$IP_ADDRESS,user=root,ver=1,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Is your computer connecting wirelessly?
    Yes, it is.

  2. #1202
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Fisrt of all, disable the port forwarding ASAP. Port forwarding in your router is only for forwarding web traffic to a server, so you are currently forwarding port 445 from the web to your Windows box. By firewall, I am talking about local software firewalls on your individual machines.

    If you're connecting wirelessly, are you positive that you are connected to your own wireless network?

  3. #1203
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by DownTown22 View Post
    So, when I'm away from my home network (thus, not connecting to my NAS drive) my computer shuts down in about 5 seconds...max.

    However, when I am on my home network (and connecting to my NAS drive) my computer tends to take forever to shut down. Is there a way to speed this up? Also during shutdown, no error messages appear (that I can remember).

    And the following commands have also been ran:

    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc0.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    ln -s /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh /etc/rc6.d/K15umountnfs.sh
    My fstab entry below:

    Code:
    //192.168.0.101/Volume_1 /home/aaron/DNS-323 cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,nounix,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    P.S. I actually won't be able to test anything suggested here for another couple weeks.
    There are two fixes posted for the hang during shutdown. Try the second one as well.

  4. #1204
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    37

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Fisrt of all, disable the port forwarding ASAP. Port forwarding in your router is only for forwarding web traffic to a server, so you are currently forwarding port 445 from the web to your Windows box. By firewall, I am talking about local software firewalls on your individual machines.

    If you're connecting wirelessly, are you positive that you are connected to your own wireless network?
    Ya, I realized that it didn't make sense to forward the port, but I thought that is what you were talking about.

    I don't have any other firewalls configured, and I am connected to my own wireless network.

  5. #1205
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by pmdkh View Post
    I don't have any other firewalls configured, and I am connected to my own wireless network.
    Just to be sure, please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    Can you ping the server? If you've not tried it yet, do you get improved results if you use the NetBIOS name instead of and IP address?

  6. #1206
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    37

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Just to be sure, please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    Code:
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Can you ping the server? If you've not tried it yet, do you get improved results if you use the NetBIOS name instead of and IP address?
    I can ping the server. When I use the NetBios name, the name doesn't resolve. I did follow what the guide said about editing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

    Code:
    sudo mount -v -t cifs //DESKTOP/Shareddocs /media/home-smb -o guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    
    mount error: could not find target server. TCP name DESKTOP/Shareddocs not found
    No ip address specified and hostname not found
    Last edited by pmdkh; March 20th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

  7. #1207
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by pmdkh View Post
    Code:
    removed by request
    That is a firewall. Go to system > administration > Firewall configuration and uncheck "enabled".

    If there is no "Firewall configuration" in the administration menu, then open a terminal and run this command:
    Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    Then try this
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    See if you get connected to your share then.
    Last edited by dmizer; March 20th, 2010 at 05:29 AM.

  8. #1208
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    37

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    That is a firewall. Go to system > administration > Firewall configuration and uncheck "enabled".

    If there is no "Firewall configuration" in the administration menu, then open a terminal and run this command:
    Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    Then try this
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    See if you get connected to your share then.
    Sorry about the misinformation concerning the firewall. I hadn't thought about that. I ran the "ufw disable" command and that fixed the problem. I can now mount the share.

    Now the question is, how do I modify the iptables rules to allow this service to run? I'm going to start trying to figure that out, but if you (or anyone) would happen to know, I'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks, dmizer, for your help.

  9. #1209
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by pmdkh View Post
    Sorry about the misinformation concerning the firewall. I hadn't thought about that. I ran the "ufw disable" command and that fixed the problem. I can now mount the share.

    Now the question is, how do I modify the iptables rules to allow this service to run? I'm going to start trying to figure that out, but if you (or anyone) would happen to know, I'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks, dmizer, for your help.
    Are you positive you need a local firewall? Since you have a firewalled gateway, odds are that you probably don't.

  10. #1210
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Beans
    37

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Are you positive you need a local firewall? Since you have a firewalled gateway, odds are that you probably don't.
    I have thought about that but I'm doing this on a work computer, so I don't think I should disable the firewall that was installed by default.

    I came across your thread here, where you mention how to fix the firewall problem. I tried those things, but I am still only able to connect by completely disabling the firewall. I'll give you some more detailed information the next time I get a chance to.

Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •