Page 110 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

  1. #1091
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    I'm having a similar problem:

    my timecapsule has a guest account and I mount it using this one but I cannot see what's inside the storage but files are there because cd works fine and I can even read files if I use the appropriate sw (e.g. mplayer for .mp3) but ls doesn't show anything on the device and even nautilus behaves the same.

    EDIT:

    user=guest doesn't do the job
    What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo ls -la /media/sharename
    Replace sharename with the actual name of the folder you mounted the timecapsule in.

  2. #1092
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    near Milan, Italy
    Beans
    35
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo ls -la /media/sharename
    Replace sharename with the actual name of the folder you mounted the timecapsule in.
    Code:
    $ sudo ls -la /media/timecapsule/
    totale 4
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root    0 2009-09-23 14:42 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2009-10-16 12:55 ..
    That's it, I told that ls wasn't working well..

    but I'm still able to navigate the mount if I know what to look for

    Code:
    $ getfacl /media/timecapsule/Musica
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: media/timecapsule/Musica
    # owner: root
    # group: root
    user::rwx
    group::r-x
    other::r-x

  3. #1093
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    Code:
    $ sudo ls -la /media/timecapsule/
    totale 4
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root    0 2009-09-23 14:42 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2009-10-16 12:55 ..
    That's it, I told that ls wasn't working well..

    but I'm still able to navigate the mount if I know what to look for

    Code:
    $ getfacl /media/timecapsule/Musica
    getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
    # file: media/timecapsule/Musica
    # owner: root
    # group: root
    user::rwx
    group::r-x
    other::r-x
    Under Troubleshooting, try the fix labeled: Files owned by root / "The folder contents could not be displayed"

  4. #1094
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    near Milan, Italy
    Beans
    35
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Under Troubleshooting, try the fix labeled: Files owned by root / "The folder contents could not be displayed"

    I already have specified my uid and gid in /etc/fstab but that doesn't seem to work.

    This is the line in my fstab:
    Code:
    #Time capsule
    //Time-capsule.local/Disco\040Airport	/media/timecapsule	cifs	users,password=***,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,nounix,nobrl	0	0

  5. #1095
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    I already have specified my uid and gid in /etc/fstab but that doesn't seem to work.

    This is the line in my fstab:
    Code:
    #Time capsule
    //Time-capsule.local/Disco\040Airport	/media/timecapsule	cifs	users,password=***,uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,nounix,nobrl	0	0
    In this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1090 you indicate that your time capsule has a guest account. If that's the case, why are you mounting with a password? Also, if you're mounting with a password, why are you not including a username?

  6. #1096
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    62
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    now "only root can mount" the drive



    Don't have time to do digging, will check back when I get back in

  7. #1097
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    near Milan, Italy
    Beans
    35
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    In this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1090 you indicate that your time capsule has a guest account. If that's the case, why are you mounting with a password? Also, if you're mounting with a password, why are you not including a username?
    The share has an option that works like that: every user that logs to the share specifying the right password can read/write on the drive.

    In other words there's no need to specify an user. I mounted my Timecapsule with those options for years and everything worked (more or less) perfectly.

  8. #1098
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by swatsbiz View Post
    now "only root can mount" the drive



    Don't have time to do digging, will check back when I get back in
    Only root can mount the drive unless you add the "users" option to the mount line. This is expected behavior. That's why you need to type "sudo" in the line: "sudo mount -a" as outlined in the tutorial.

    Try rebooting and see if the share is mounted correctly upon reboot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    The share has an option that works like that: every user that logs to the share specifying the right password can read/write on the drive.

    In other words there's no need to specify an user. I mounted my Timecapsule with those options for years and everything worked (more or less) perfectly.
    There's no need to specify a user when you mount the share with Windows because Windows sends the username by default. Try adding: user=your-ubuntu-username as an option. Have you checked to make sure there's no firewall interfering?

    Either way, your files are clearly mounting as root rather than your user and that's what's causing your problem.
    Last edited by dmizer; October 16th, 2009 at 06:58 PM.

  9. #1099
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    near Milan, Italy
    Beans
    35
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    There's no need to specify a user when you mount the share with Windows. Try adding: user=your-ubuntu-username as an option. Have you checked to make sure there's no firewall interfering?

    Either way, your files are clearly mounting as root rather than your user and that's what's causing your problem.
    I added user=myubuntuusername and nothing changed, no firewall anyway...

    I'm starting to worry...

  10. #1100
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    I added user=myubuntuusername and nothing changed, no firewall anyway...

    I'm starting to worry...
    What's the model number of your time capsule? Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for it? NAS devices with old firmware and/or old Samba support have been the single biggest headache for me in this thread ... lol.

    Edit:
    Are there any Windows Vista or Win7 machines that access this Timecapsule device?
    Last edited by dmizer; October 16th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Page 110 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •