Page 108 of 137 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

  1. #1071
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by HyugaRicdeau View Post
    I'm trying to mount a few Windows XP shares, but when I perform the mount, the permissions on the mount point itself become "dr-xr-xr-x" no matter what I try.
    It may be a firewall interfering.

    Please post the output of the following from both the server and the client:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L

    Quote Originally Posted by HyugaRicdeau View Post
    Could this have something to do with AppArmor? I'm not very familiar with it...
    I doubt it, unless you've played with apparmor's configuration.

  2. #1072
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    When I add this to the Fstab
    Code:
    //compac/External%20(j)/    /media/sharename        cifs    guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    and run sudo mount -a i get this
    Code:
    david@nx9010:~$ sudo mount -a
    retrying with upper case share name
    mount error(6): No such device or address
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    but I know it exists because I copy and pasted it from the smbtree.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Burky; October 3rd, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

  3. #1073
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    Code:
    //compac/External%20(j)/    /media/sharename        cifs    guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Your mount line should probably look like this:
    Code:
    //compac/External/    /media/sharename        cifs    guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    When looking at smbtree, you will see both the share name as well as the comment. In your case, the (j) is a comment meaning what drive letter. This is not needed in your mount command.

    If you are still unsuccessful, you will probably have to rename the share on the Windows machine so that it does not contain the parentheses.

  4. #1074
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Your mount line should probably look like this:
    Code:
    //compac/External/    /media/sharename        cifs    guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    When looking at smbtree, you will see both the share name as well as the comment. In your case, the (j) is a comment meaning what drive letter. This is not needed in your mount command.

    If you are still unsuccessful, you will probably have to rename the share on the Windows machine so that it does not contain the parentheses.
    I was unable to get it to work with
    Code:
    //compac/External/    /media/sharename        cifs    guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    So I got on the Compac, went to "My Network Places" found the External drive, and renamed it just "External". When I went into that machine over the network on my Ubuntu machine, it was still called "External (J)" and I still could get it to work the way you told me.

    Anything I'm doing wrong? Any Suggestions?

  5. #1075
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    So I got on the Compac, went to "My Network Places" found the External drive, and renamed it just "External". When I went into that machine over the network on my Ubuntu machine, it was still called "External (J)" and I still could get it to work the way you told me.
    I think you changed the share name in the wrong place.

    Open "My Computer", right click on the J drive and select "Sharing and Security", then click on the "Sharing" tab. You may see a warning that says "If you understand the risk ... click here". This is where you should change the share name.

    You should probably reboot the Windows computer after making this change.

  6. #1076
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Open "My Computer", right click on the J drive and select "Sharing and Security", then click on the "Sharing" tab. You may see a warning that says "If you understand the risk ... click here". This is where you should change the share name.
    Where it says "Share Name: EXTERNAL (J)" the box is grey and won't let me type in it.

  7. #1077
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    Where it says "Share Name: EXTERNAL (J)" the box is grey and won't let me type in it.
    This is probably a stupid question on my part, but you never know so ...

    Are you sure that there's a checkmark in the "Share this folder on the network" box?

    Otherwise, you're probably not signed in with a username that has the correct permissions to change the share name. You'll have to log in as an Administrator. If you don't know how, either refer to your computer's user manual, or post your computer's make and model number here.

    Edit:
    One final thought. You may be able to un-share the folder and recreate the share under a different name. Be sure to remove the (J) automatically placed on the end of the share name for a full drive share.
    Last edited by dmizer; October 4th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

  8. #1078
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    My account does have Administrative privileges, it's just not the owner? And my computer is a Compaq Presorio sr1503wm.

  9. #1079
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    My account does have Administrative privileges, it's just not the owner? And my computer is a Compaq Presorio sr1503wm.
    Did you set up the external drive on a different computer perhaps? Can you unshare the share? Can you create a new folder on the drive? If so, can you share the newly created folder? If so, I HIGHLY suggest moving all the content into that folder so you have something like:

    Code:
    J:/Shared-content
                     /Music
                     /Video
                     /Documents
                     /Other-data
    Where "Shared-content" is the actual shared folder rather than sharing the whole drive (which even Windows strongly suggests not doing).

    If this is not satisfactory, I'll do some digging on your specific model. But I think the above will be the easiest solution.

  10. #1080
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Beans
    136
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Thanks a lot Dmizer! I got it to work, I forgot I had to unshare the folder first before I could change the name.

Page 108 of 137 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •