Page 105 of 137 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotta View Post
    Fair enough. I use wicd. IMHO, network should be independent of the GUI, but if that's how they did it, then that's how they did it.
    Actually, since I have a lot of server side experience, I agree that network should be independent of the GUI. However, I can see the security advantage for an end user desktop focused distribution like Ubuntu and it's easy enough to remove network-manager and install gnome-network-admin instead.

In either case, with Gnome becoming reliant on network-manager, I think that my howto will become fairly useless over the next release or two so I've been playing with autofs just in case.

Looks like I have some reading to do. Thank you.

Beans

My network is comprised of the following components...

Desktop - jaunty
    Desktop -vista 64
    Laptop - Hardy heron
    Laptop - XP pro
    NAS storage x 2 (FAT32)
    Netgear DGNB2100 router (wired & wireless)

My aim is to mount the 2 NAS drives permanently when booting the desktop with Jaunty on.

The situation is, at the moment I can browse to both NAS drives from all machines except the jaunty one through network places on hardy laptop and from both windows machines.If I try this from the jaunty machine I get the following error

Unable to mount location Failed to retrieve share list from server
    however if I type the path into the nautilus window
    smb://lan-disk1/store1/
    It goes there straight away (i had the same result with hardy on the same machine)

I have tried both of your tutorials the one "Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs" and the one "Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues" both very comprehensive but I'm still no further forward.

The error message I get when I try mounting using cifs is
    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    Being a windows convert where network browsing was so easy I find this infuriating, please can you help?

Beans
    Distro

corkscrew,

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    corkscrew,

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -L
    Here you go
    cem@m3n78:/media$ sudo iptables -L
    [sudo] password for cem:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Beans
    Distro

Ok, that looks good. Do you have any firewalls enabled on the Windows machines? If so, are the results different if you disable the Windows firewall?]

Also, please post your current /etc/fstab line.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Ok, that looks good. Do you have any firewalls enabled on the Windows machines? If so, are the results different if you disable the Windows firewall?]

Also, please post your current /etc/fstab line.
    here's my fstab

HTML Code:
    proc                                       /proc              proc         defaults                    0  0  
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=e092cfc2-fb77-47b0-9756-da91ede67294  /                  ext3         relatime,errors=remount-ro  0  1  
    # /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=2f84e334-9ad2-46d3-a098-b7f32fca4b38  /home              ext3         relatime                    0  2  
    # swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
    UUID=6ffbcd91-988f-4549-97e1-8bad61e73b35  none               swap         sw                          0  0  
    /dev/scd0                                  /media/cdrom0      udf,iso9660  user,noauto,exec,utf8       0  0  
    /dev/fd0                                   /media/floppy0     auto         rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8    0  0  
    #/dev/sda7
    UUID=05ab0423-09f8-468c-9503-2fdb65697046  /data              ext3         relatime                    0  2  
    /dev/sdb1                                  /media/SATA2-data  ntfs         defaults                    0  0 
    I do have zonealarm on one laptop but i have no problem browsing to the shares on that machine from the jaunty desktop. Its only the 2 NAS drives which i cant get to properly.
    thanks for your help by the way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i seem to have a weird problem. i have all these windows ntfs smb shares that I have ensured I have gone into sharing/security and set them to full control (rwx by everyone, as well as my username (daniel) as well as the administrator account). next I go into ubuntu and have the following lines in /etc/fstab

you can see that windows firewall is allowing the share to be written to. i don't actually even use a software firewall on windows or ubuntu because I have a hardware firewall built into the router connected to my broadband modem.

//192.168.0.4/My\040Pictures /var/lib/mythtv/pictures cifs auto,noexec,users,nounix,uid=12345,gid=12345,crede ntials=/etc/samba/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

(NOTE: i noticed that after I finish the post, there's a space in the word credentials in the fstab entry but when I try to edit the post, there is no space. not to mention i checked the real fstab and there is no space there either.)

uid 12345 and ghid 12345 are mythtv:mythtv and I am in that group. see here:

daniel@dell:~$ groups
    daniel adm dialout cdrom video plugdev lpadmin sambashare admin mythtv

the /var/lib/mythtv/pictures/ folder prior to mounting is owned by mythtv:mythtv and rwx by all. after I mount the share, it's still owned by mythtv:mythtv but the permissions are shown below:

dr-xr-xr-x 1 mythtv mythtv 0 2009-08-01 15:54 pictures

the mount command shows this:

//192.168.0.4/My Pictures on /var/lib/mythtv/pictures type cifs (rw,mand,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

it says it's rw?

when I try to write to it, i get this:

daniel@dell:~$ touch /var/lib/mythtv/pictures/test.txt
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lib/mythtv/pictures/test.txt': Permission denied

i thought dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 would allow the mythtv user and actually all to rwx on it? any help please? i can't seem to write to it?
    Last edited by dannyboy79; August 6th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
    here's my fstab

HTML Code:
    proc                                       /proc              proc         defaults                    0  0  
    UUID=e092cfc2-fb77-47b0-9756-da91ede67294  /                  ext3         relatime,errors=remount-ro  0  1  
    UUID=2f84e334-9ad2-46d3-a098-b7f32fca4b38  /home              ext3         relatime                    0  2  
    UUID=6ffbcd91-988f-4549-97e1-8bad61e73b35  none               swap         sw                          0  0  
    /dev/scd0                                  /media/cdrom0      udf,iso9660  user,noauto,exec,utf8       0  0  
    /dev/fd0                                   /media/floppy0     auto         rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8    0  0  
    #/dev/sda7
    UUID=05ab0423-09f8-468c-9503-2fdb65697046  /data              ext3         relatime                    0  2  
    /dev/sdb1                                  /media/SATA2-data  ntfs         defaults                    0  0 
    I do have zonealarm on one laptop but i have no problem browsing to the shares on that machine from the jaunty desktop. Its only the 2 NAS drives which i cant get to properly.
    this forum post topic is about mounting samba shares. i don't even see anything about cifs in your /etc/fstab. can you please re-read the post. you should be able to straighten things out if you follow the directions. if you merely asking about a mounting a usb drive then there are other forum post that help with that also. ah heck, i guess I'll post what you need to fix.

i am assuming your line that reads

/dev/sdb1 /media/SATA2-data ntfs defaults 0 0

is the one that is suppose to be mounting the NAS box. for your specifying it be mounted as ntfs filesystem. linux can't work with ntfs directly, there a module that is used I believe which is called ntfs-3g but you don't want to do that because you said NAS box. NETWORK attached storage. SO you needs to use smbfs but that's deprecated so you need to use cifs as the guide says. your line would be something like this:

//servernamehere/sharenamehere /media/SATA2-data cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,uni code 0 0

where uid and gid are the username id and groupid for the user that will be mounting the share. normally in ubuntu 1000, is the first user. keep in mind that this all matters whether the NAS box is being shared with a password or not. I am showing you an example of non-password protected share, if it's protected as i said before, you need to actually read the first page. or you can see this wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

good luck

Beans
    Distro

canyone help with post #1049. it's a very strange problem and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have followed all wiki's and forum post's regarding this subject but it still won't mount writable. i actually have another share like this as well tyhat I hope to fix soon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
    here's my fstab

HTML Code:
    #/dev/sda7
    What is the exact command you're using to mount the share?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    canyone help with post #1049. it's a very strange problem and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have followed all wiki's and forum post's regarding this subject but it still won't mount writable. i actually have another share like this as well tyhat I hope to fix soon
    Sorry, I've been out on a business trip and have only had sporadic internet connections.

I think you should probably mount the share as danny's numeric uid (if you want to use it as danny) and gid 12345. I think that will give you the results you're after.

Edit:
    Also, regarding the space in the mount line, you should always use [code] bbc markup because the code tags retain original formating. If you just post a single block of text, the forum will wrap the text to retain the CSS style.
    Last edited by dmizer; August 7th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Page 105 of 137 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast