Page 103 of 137 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

  1. #1021
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    810

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Thank you, this worked perfectly and on the first try. Great tutorial

  2. #1022
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    20

    Cool Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    I've been using this tutorial for a few years now w/o fail, it just works. It's that good. However, in the last few weeks I've found my NAS drive is not mounting after rebooting Ubuntu 9.04. It mounts fine when using "sudo mount -a" from a terminal. This has not been a problem with U9.04 before, just recently. Have you any thoughts on a fix?

  3. #1023
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by jwillar View Post
    I've been using this tutorial for a few years now w/o fail, it just works. It's that good. However, in the last few weeks I've found my NAS drive is not mounting after rebooting Ubuntu 9.04. It mounts fine when using "sudo mount -a" from a terminal. This has not been a problem with U9.04 before, just recently. Have you any thoughts on a fix?
    I've run into this problem since Jaunty started depending on network-manager for 100% of network connections. It doesn't mesh well with the CLI tools like /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/fstab.

    Try editing /etc/rc.local and add "mount -a" to the file like so:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.
    
    mount -a
    exit 0

  4. #1024
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Beans
    77
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Dear DMIZER thank you for your exellent tutorial. It's great.

    However, I ran into one problem. I use this way of connecting to my freecom networkdrive. I can make the connection. I can read files, I can write files but I cannot replace files with another (newer) version and I cannot delete directories when these directories have files still in it.
    This is very annoying when using backup software like Synkron.
    Of course a windows xp machine will do the trick flawlessly, but I want my ubuntu machine to do the job!

    The FSTAB line I used is:
    #//192.168.2.11/public /media/netwerkdrive cifs guest,rw,nounix,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=8 50 0 0
    The suggested lines in your tutorial would read:
    //192.168.2.11/public /media/netwerkdrive cifs guest,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0
    But I have to add the nounix word to prevent an errormessage.
    In both cases the same happens. I can read, write and cannot overwrite or multi delete.

    The share is not password protected. That's something I deal with when this is working.

    Do you have any suggestions for this problem?

    thanks
    Last edited by adonet; July 27th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

  5. #1025
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    20

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    I've tried adding "mount -a" to /etc/rc.local as you suggested, rebooted and still no NAS drive. By the way, here is the line I've used in my 'fstab' file.

    //192.168.0.9/Volume_1 /media/NAS-Shared cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

    I have two other systems on my home network and the NAS drive mounts correctly (also running the latest updates for Ubuntu 9.04).

    I've begun looking for other solutions and believe 'GvFS' looks promising. Thanks for your quick response and help with this. From what I understand from research, others are having this problem as well.

  6. #1026
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by adonet View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for this problem?

    thanks
    Try this /etc/fstab line:
    Code:
    //192.168.2.11/public /media/netwerkdrive cifs guest,rw,nounix,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    If that doesn't work, what error do you get if you don't use the "nounix" option?

    Quote Originally Posted by jwillar View Post
    I've tried adding "mount -a" to /etc/rc.local as you suggested, rebooted and still no NAS drive. By the way, here is the line I've used in my 'fstab' file.

    //192.168.0.9/Volume_1 /media/NAS-Shared cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_ mode=0777 0 0

    I have two other systems on my home network and the NAS drive mounts correctly (also running the latest updates for Ubuntu 9.04).

    I've begun looking for other solutions and believe 'GvFS' looks promising. Thanks for your quick response and help with this. From what I understand from research, others are having this problem as well.
    There is an open bug report on this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...it/+bug/275451

    There are several potential workarounds listed, but the one that fixes the problem most of the time involves /etc/network/interfaces. Please post the contents of this file.

  7. #1027
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    20

    Talking Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Success! I took your advise and read the BUG report. It mentioned more than once that the Network Manager could be affecting this problem. Hmm could it be that simple? I switched back to 'NetworkManager' from to 'Wicd', re-booted and now my NAs drive mounts automatically! Thanks for your help in resolving this problem, your 'Linux-Foo' is strong.

  8. #1028
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Beans
    77
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Try this /etc/fstab line:
    Code:
    //192.168.2.11/public /media/netwerkdrive cifs guest,rw,nounix,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    If that doesn't work, what error do you get if you don't use the "nounix" option?
    When I don't use the "nounix" option I get this error message:

    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

    If I use the fstab line that you suggested, I get the same problem, not being able to overwrite an excisting file with another version of it, nor
    being able to delete a directory with something in it from nautilus or thunar. (these programs sometimes don't respond anymore)

  9. #1029
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kitakyushu Japan
    Beans
    9,361
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by adonet View Post
    When I don't use the "nounix" option I get this error message:

    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

    If I use the fstab line that you suggested, I get the same problem, not being able to overwrite an excisting file with another version of it, nor
    being able to delete a directory with something in it from nautilus or thunar. (these programs sometimes don't respond anymore)
    Since you're having this problem both with GVFS and CIFS, I highly suggest that you take a very close look at permissions on your NAS. Possibly look for firmware updates as well.

    What is the output of:
    Code:
    ls -la /media/netwerkdrive

  10. #1030
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Beans
    77
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

    Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Since you're having this problem both with GVFS and CIFS, I highly suggest that you take a very close look at permissions on your NAS. Possibly look for firmware updates as well.

    What is the output of:
    Code:
    ls -la /media/netwerkdrive
    The output is:

    totaal 4
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-09 04:23 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2009-07-30 20:56 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-30 01:19 Afbeeldingen
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-08 18:44 Documenten
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-08 19:39 Download
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-08 18:50 Foto
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-08 20:11 Telefoon
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-07-30 00:59 test
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-07-27 23:11 .Trash-0
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-07-06 12:50 .Trash-1000
    drwxrwxrwx 1 mint7 mint7 0 2009-05-31 00:16 video-onderzoek

Page 103 of 137 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •