Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FlightGear 0.9.10

Beans

Re: FlightGear 0.9.10

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89 View Post
    I didn't know that. You'd think if it was the most realistic sim out there I would have heard of it before you posted about it today. But even if you have the most realistic flight sim in the world it won't it wouldn't matter if you were still using a keyboard & mouse to control your plane. You'd need a setup similar to this to take full advantage of it. Which would probably be a huge pain to setup with Linux.

I first heard about it 2 years ago.Not many do and me as a non-pilot / aviation engineer probably would not realise it either. But you give it to a pilot and he/she will know it. Besides the controls it's all about how the plane behaves/reacts in various conditions, how it interacts with the forces of nature and the physics behind it all. If you can do it in X-plane it can be done in real live & vice versa.

Dunno how hard it would be to get the controls working in linux but have heard of guys having the yoke/stick & pedals working in linux. I think the DVD contains all three versions (Win/Mac/Linux) if I'm not mistaken but I stand to be corrected.

Have you seen the nutters that take this to the extreme ? They will actually take a real cockpit or build a mock-up of the real thing with real gauges, switches etc. Wire it to something like an EPIC board which then connects to a PC to interact with the flight sim software. http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/simpit_links.htm

Have you seen the FAA & other approvals X-Plane has, http://x-plane.com/FTD.html

A nice 3 part review, http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_140a.html
    http://www.simhq.com/_air/air.html#reviews

X-plane is the way to go if you want a real simulator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodycoach2 View Post
    I've loaded Flightgear on my Dapper install. No link to it in the application folder, so I go in command line, type "fgfs", it starts to load, then quits after a few seconds. Never really loads all the way.

Any ideas what's up with that?
    Yeah - it was unstable for me too (on Fedora 5)...I was getting a segmentation fault, I think due to a new version of FreeGLUT which FG didn't like. Tried a bunch of stuff, even compiling, but no dice, so gave up on it...not quite ready for prime time, sadly!

Beans

Exclamation Re: FlightGear 0.9.10

I am going to revive this thread by saying that there is a livecd version of it. Does anybody know what is included with that. I am going to try it out now!

EDIT: no one has any info on the livecd??
    Last edited by TheRingmaster; January 18th, 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Workers of the world unite! Do not go unheard!! soviet-empire.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheRingmaster View Post
    I am going to revive this thread by saying that there is a livecd version of it. Does anybody know what is included with that. I am going to try it out now!

EDIT: no one has any info on the livecd??
    0.9.10-2 is in the repositories, why not install it instead of looking for a entire livecd ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    0.9.10-2 is in the repositories, why not install it instead of looking for a entire livecd ?

I always have problems with the installed version. I don't know why (EDIT: I just remembered that I used to get "segmentation error" all the time). But that was with dapper. I will try it now with edgy. Is that version the latest available?

I already downloaded and tried out the livecd. Didn't spend too much time with it. (bed time)
    Last edited by TheRingmaster; January 18th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Beans

yes I still am getting errors with the installed version. The livecd has all I need.

petey@petey-desktop:~$ fgfs
    Error reading properties:
    Failed to open file
    at /home/petey/.fgfs/autosave.xml
    (reported by SimGear XML Parser)
    Model Author: Unknown
    Creation Date: 2002-01-01
    Version: $Id: c172p.xml,v 1.17 2006-03-13 15:27:14 ehofman Exp $
    Description: Cessna C-172
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    petey@petey-desktop:~$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

FlightGear is a package in Edgy! All you have to do is type: sudo apt-get install flightgear

Optionally, you can also install "fgrun" which is the launch wizard. Much easier than command line.

Go to viciouslime and it is already compiled: http://www.viciouslime.co.uk/index.p...gid=2&Itemid=2

I would like to give credit to the person who created it, but I forgot his name.

I have not used M$ FSX, but I can say for the price FlightGear is pretty good.

Beans

wow, only a year late. BTW flight gear ver 1.0 is out.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Have you loaded it on Ubuntu? I played it on Windows, but not Linux yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12