Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOWTO: Get USB Gamepads to Work in Hoary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOWTO: Get USB Gamepads to Work in Hoary

How exactly do you tell "joystick" to load at boot?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm having the exact same problem... I have an HP Compaq v2565us and a Logitech Dual Action controller, and the d-pad/joystick don't work right. I've tried plugging it into both USB ports and the one USB 2.0 port, but it didn't work on any of them. On USB 2.0, it was as though the right d-pad was constantly being pressed; if I hit left on the d-pad, it cancelled it out. I've tried running games as sudo; didn't work. What could be causing this problem?

Oh, bloody hell. This was in Hoary... looks like I ought to make a new post.
    Last edited by Tonren; September 17th, 2006 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Didn't realize this was in Hoary

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tonren View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem... I have an HP Compaq v2565us and a Logitech Dual Action controller, and the d-pad/joystick don't work right. I've tried plugging it into both USB ports and the one USB 2.0 port, but it didn't work on any of them. On USB 2.0, it was as though the right d-pad was constantly being pressed; if I hit left on the d-pad, it cancelled it out. I've tried running games as sudo; didn't work. What could be causing this problem?

Oh, bloody hell. This was in Hoary... looks like I ought to make a new post.
    actually it'd be nice if someone could update this for dapper. I've been searching through the forums but no luck so far. Are the instructions in this thread still applicaple in dapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by argash View Post
    actually it'd be nice if someone could update this for dapper. I've been searching through the forums but no luck so far. Are the instructions in this thread still applicaple in dapper?
    I searched thru the dapper forums, no luck so far, although i never go by which release the post is in. I've found all forums to be helpful.

I am having the SAME problem. D-pad is not working. jscalibrator detects it, d-pad works fine.

I got the d-pad to work in zsnes by
    Code:
    sudo zsnes
    and the d-pad works. A lot of people have had the same issue, the d-pad requires root privelages??

I've even changed the permissions of the file (chmod 666 /dev/input/js0) and I still have to run zsnes as root.

Any solutions?
    -----------------------------
    I ubuntu, therefore I am.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get USB Gamepads to Work in Dapper

I am having this same problem as well. I am completely new to Ubuntu. So far I love it, although it's been a bit of a steep learning curve. I am using a RedOctane Ignition Pad 3.0. All of the buttons are recognized, but the joypad doesn't do anything. I tried running jscal and jscalibrator, and neither one seems to help with this problem. Has anyone out there figured out a solution?

Thanks!!
    Adam

Beans

Red face Re: HOWTO: Get USB Gamepads to Work in Hoary

Hey I have the smartJoy Plus adapter and I need some help, jstest reports the name and tells me I it has 6 axis, then throws a segmentation fault. .. jscal works fine and so does jcalibrate but cedega seems to use jstest..... I can't get this working!! any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have a problem with an SNES controller rewired to USB. 4 of the buttons don't work, at all. I've done

Code:
    cat /dev/input/js0
    and get symbols back on every button, but all the utilities like jstest, jscal, and jscalibrate proclaim that there are only 4 buttons instead of the 8 I should have. (I'm missing B, Y, Start, and Select). I don't think joy2key will work if the driver doesn't recognise the 4 missing buttons. I have tried all this as root and with permissions on the device set to 666.

The worst thing is, it used to work just fine under Dapper (I think it was Dapper). I hadn't pulled it out in a while and was just sitting down for some nice Chronotrigger only to find out that those 4 buttons didn't work.

One last note: obviously, the pad is detected, but here's dmesg:

Code:
    [271299.476000] usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    [271299.648000] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [271299.676000] input: RetroUSB.com RetroPad as /class/input/input12
    [271299.676000] input: USB HID v1.00 Gamepad [RetroUSB.com RetroPad] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1
    Anyone who says you're too old to play with toys, has the wrong toys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345