Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallpaper program

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Wallpaper program

It's just a matter of learning by example. Anytime I find that an installed program is actually a script, I tear it apart to see how it works. Most of the tricky bits in those scripts were what I got from fbsetbg. Now I guess I'm going to have to finally break down and read "Dive Into Python" to see how to handle reading from plain text files. The little Python I know, came from fixing/enhancing desklets from Adesklets. (and a lot of that was trial and error )

Beans
    Distro

Well I did some research and installed SPE for a Python IDE. Very nice I must say. It sure makes browsing through Python code much easier. Since the only part of my scripts that I need to change for Gnome/Nautilus is the actual command to set the selected wallpaer, I'm going to gut your Python code so that it only does that (based on passed parameters). In the past, I tried calling the gconf command line editor to adjust the settings, but it was very inconsistent about actually applying them to the desktop. (even though the new wallpaper showed up correctly in the backgrounds list...) I think that the commit_change_set() call your code uses will make all the difference. Thanks again for providing your program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not sure, if you want to add new backgrounds to the backgrounds list you should add more settings to the xml document and save back to ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml

the gconf will only set the current background.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro

That's just it, I don't want to add 50,000 odd backgrounds to the list. (that would be monumentally stupid of me ) What I have done is to add ~/.current-wallpaper.jpg to the list and selected it. Then the rotate script copies the new image to that name and overlays the filename on the image. I ended up figuring out how to get gconftool to force an update of the gnome desktop, so I'm only using bash scripts now. (It was good to see your python code though, thanks.) I had some trouble with cron though. The crontab mechanism used by Ubuntu appears to be the old style where you can't specify the home directory or the path in the crontab file. (Why isn't vixie-cron in the repositories anywhere?) I had to hack my scripts so that they are specific to my user's home directory. It doesn't really matter, since I'm the only user of the system, but I would have preferred a more generic approach.

Beans

This is starting to sound messy, I think I'll just stick with kde

Beans

lol have you been reading? It's only "starting to sound messy" because yabbadabbadont is a coding expert and is having fun taking parts of Martin's script to create his own hybrid background changer.

If you use martin's script with the original instructions given, you won't have any problems. So don't make judgemental statements like that just to promote kde.

PS: I love kde too.

Beans

ok I see whats going now, another question do I have to manually right in all the wallpapers or can I point it to a directory and it'll pick from that.

Beans

not sure, i don't use gnome. i'm no coder, but from the code, it looks like it takes the pictures from ~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml. I'm guessing that's a list that's generated by whatever the default desktop management program is. So what I would try is, open the desktop manager, and using that, add all the pictures that you want to be included in this. and then using Schedula, add the changer program and tell it to run every minute or however often you want it to switch the wallpaper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

darkhatter, we use the gnome desktop wallpapers settings because a wallpaper is more than just an image. it contains options, formating, primary and secomdary colours even trasparency if anyone would create the opens for it in gnome.

Not that I could get a directory working either, let me know and I'll add it as a feature.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    lol have you been reading? It's only "starting to sound messy" because yabbadabbadont is a coding expert and is having fun taking parts of Martin's script to create his own hybrid background changer.

If you use martin's script with the original instructions given, you won't have any problems. So don't make judgemental statements like that just to promote kde.

PS: I love kde too.
    I apologize for taking the thread offtopic there for a bit. Won't happen again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast