Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surprised in Ubuntu interest

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Surprised in Ubuntu interest

My girlfriend had pretty much refused to use Linux until recently and then she will only use it as a duel boot..

She is an accountant and I convinced her that learning Linux was a good career move.. Not only for a possible company change but possible for promotional opportunities.

It can never hurt to put on an application that you are proficient in ******* and linux
    Registered Linux User: 433263
    Registered Ubuntu User: 9010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by roderikk View Post
    I have been around now for a few months and have read all the warnings of 'trying to convert people'. I have therefore never tried to convert anyone, however, in the last 2 weeks two of my housemates (as I live here with 4 people that is 50%...) came to me asking for guidance as they wanted to try out this Linux thing. After giving them a lot of warning that learning Linux is like taking up a new language, so making them expect a lot of hardship to come (they have heard me swearing quite a few times ) they still want to try it out.
    People will come when they are ready, as long as we are ready to help the people...
    This is the most sensible thing I've read on conversions.

I've gone with the "forced conversions" method for my family, though. It's met with mixed success. My younger brother is a dual-booter by default now. His observation: "Linux lets me get work done. But Windows plays everything."

Beans

I've noticed that regular people are interested in Linux lately, but will still not switch to it because it misses an app or two, or because it's not compatible with some specific piece of hardware. I believe this is quickly changing. The biggest change will be in the next release of Windows (Vista+1), that will most likely break backwards compatibility.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by IYY View Post
    I've noticed that regular people are interested in Linux lately, but will still not switch to it because it misses an app or two, or because it's not compatible with some specific piece of hardware. I believe this is quickly changing. The biggest change will be in the next release of Windows (Vista+1), that will most likely break backwards compatibility.
    . . . which means that users will simply stay with WinXP or 2k until their computer is "too old," whereupon they will just eat the cost of upgrading hardware and buying new licenses.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Hm, well, at the current rate Vista+1 is at least 3 to 5 years away. When I remember my first (and very brief) experience with Linux 5 years ago a lót has changed! With the increasing adoptation of Linux by 'regular' people it will most certainly gain momentum, whether microsoft will be able to stop that is a question. Of course they will not sit still either, but it will be an interesting competition...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post

Colour me cynical, but most "interest" that starts with eyecandy evaporates as soon as they realise Ubuntu isn't just a tricked-out version of Windows.
    unfortunately, that seems to be quite true. most people who don't have any interest in computers or gadgets just want to stick with what they are used to....unless they contiinually have bad experiences with what they are used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12