Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alt character codes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

alt character codes

hi.. i'm new in linux and often need to use french accents in documents (for example in OO) like ... in windows, there are codes you can use on your keyboard like ALT + 130 to produce the symbol... i've noticed in linux, the alt codes do not work. is there any plans for support of this feature? im sure it would be quite appreciated by a lot of people.. it's a common annoyonance.. umm.. for now i'm using kcharselect, but it's time consuming and i'm so used to the alt codes in ms word... manually copying each accent to the clipboard and then pasting it is so un-natural when your typing a document.. is anybody aware of any plans to impliment or any shorter ways i can set it up to accept alt codes in ubuntu ?? thanks !!!
    "It was all so different before everything changed."

Beans

Re: alt character codes

I can input special characters by holding ctrl + shift and then typing a four digit hex value (0-9, a-f). It can't be ascii (only two hex digits) it must be unicode codes or something, but I think you can get those from kcharselect or something similar.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by markster23 View Post
    hi.. i'm new in linux and often need to use french accents in documents (for example in OO) like ... in windows, there are codes you can use on your keyboard like ALT + 130 to produce the symbol... i've noticed in linux, the alt codes do not work. is there any plans for support of this feature? im sure it would be quite appreciated by a lot of people.. it's a common annoyonance.. umm.. for now i'm using kcharselect, but it's time consuming and i'm so used to the alt codes in ms word... manually copying each accent to the clipboard and then pasting it is so un-natural when your typing a document.. is anybody aware of any plans to impliment or any shorter ways i can set it up to accept alt codes in ubuntu ?? thanks !!!
    the keycodes are in hex, not ASCII; you should be able to enter them with CTRL + ALT + keycode in hex.

There should be a character map with keycodes on it to help you. Also, you could try changing the default language on your keyboard. GNOME makes this pretty easy--I have mine set to change between EN-US/ EN-GB and ES

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

that doesn't work for some reason.. ctrl + alt + E9, for example is supposed to give me .. but it doesn't work, it actually switches windows, like alt + tab... strange

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    the keycodes are in hex, not ASCII; you should be able to enter them with CTRL + ALT + keycode in hex.

There should be a character map with keycodes on it to help you. Also, you could try changing the default language on your keyboard. GNOME makes this pretty easy--I have mine set to change between EN-US/ EN-GB and ES
    "It was all so different before everything changed."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You can enter the special characters with Ctrl + Shift + U, and then enter the code while still holding Ctrl + Shift

There's a thread about this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=at+character

Beans

you saved my day! Installed 9.04 with a strange letter in the password. Not so smart because when I booted I got only english keyboard in the login promt for some reason
    ctrl + shift + u ftw

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edd07 View Post
    You can enter the special characters with Ctrl + Shift + U, and then enter the code while still holding Ctrl + Shift

There's a thread about this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=at+character
    Nice. I was looking for something like this 2 years ago. Where can I get a list of the character codes?
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans

You can find all unicode charts here, so you can get all characters you want now!
    Keep in mind that most fonts only support parts of unicode. The and stuff are common of course. You can check font-unicode compatability here; it is sorted by unicode charts and tells you what fonts support it.

For etc I would say using dead keys is best (set your keyboard layout). Also try right-alt combo's. For me for example, right-alt+w gives and shift+right-alt+0 gives . It depends on what key you have set as compose key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've tried using alt-shift-u on facebook, with no joy, I get as far as the Chinese looking character with I think numbers in the bottom right corners. I'm using ubuntu version 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Are you sure you're entering the right code? Keep in mind it's Unicode, not ASCII.

Or maybe the font used to render that text doesn't include thar character. Could you post a screenshot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast