Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

Hello!

I can't say I'm an Ubuntu CE user. Mostly because I've only been an Ubuntu user for a few months. I do use BibleWorks 6. And I'm currently running it in Dapper using Wine. It's installed under a Windows partition, so I run it straight from there.

I do that because I haven't been able to get it to install. Running the installer under Wine always hangs on 100% because of some 'network' thing (I can't now remember exactly).

I wondered if anyone else had managed to install Bible Works straight onto Ubuntu... I looked on the Wine compatibility list, and I was the only contributor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Re: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

I have noticed that wine has a lot of problems with installing and running things. I have only gotten one thing to install under it so far. Unless there is something you want or need in Bible Works, you could try GnomeSword (part of Ubuntu CE) or Bible Time (availible in Ichthux and probably Synaptic), they are both for Linux, so they will work much better in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Re: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

Gnomesword and Bibletime are ok, however if you are used to using something better, you probably will not be impressed by them. If you can't get Bible Works to work under wine try downloading E-Sword available at www.e-sword.net and installing it under wine. It is a very sharp program. For me it runs a little too slow under wine, but it still a very good program. One other option I have installed The Word - available at www.theword.gr It also runs under wine, and runs much smoother, however it is lacking the extra study aids. Version 3 will include more study aids, but I have not been able to install version 3 beta via wine, I keep getting errors about glx or something. It has to do with visual settings. The Word does run much faster though. That is my 2 cents worth.

Shane

Beans
    Hidden!

Has anyone tried running Win4Lin under ubuntu? I have heard it is like wine in that in runs and emulates windows in linux but have not seen or tested it... UBUNTU ROCKS!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedos3 View Post
    Has anyone tried running Win4Lin under ubuntu? I have heard it is like wine in that in runs and emulates windows in linux but have not seen or tested it... UBUNTU ROCKS!
    Yes, I have tried Win4Lin pro under Ubuntu and it was nice. The only drawback to me was that there wasn't a fullscreen mode. I prefer to use Vmware. You can download Vmware server from free and create a windows virtual machine. I use it for my testing and such.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

But none of those solutions are really ideal. I'm still running BibleWorks in wine from a Windows XP installation. Later this week, I'm going to try and manually copy over all the BibleWorks files from my Windows partition and see if they run from my wine c virtual folder.

BibleWorks works fine in wine... it's just the installer. I've continued submitting bug reports to winehq.

If you are learning Greek - I am a full time church worker - then BibleWorks is simply AWESOME... I haven't found any software like it. If anyone knows of some open source software that allows you to search for a particular grammatical expression in the Greek, of almost infinite complexity... let me know!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amiga_os View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

But none of those solutions are really ideal. I'm still running BibleWorks in wine from a Windows XP installation. Later this week, I'm going to try and manually copy over all the BibleWorks files from my Windows partition and see if they run from my wine c virtual folder.

BibleWorks works fine in wine... it's just the installer. I've continued submitting bug reports to winehq.

If you are learning Greek - I am a full time church worker - then BibleWorks is simply AWESOME... I haven't found any software like it. If anyone knows of some open source software that allows you to search for a particular grammatical expression in the Greek, of almost infinite complexity... let me know!
    Being a Seminary student who cannot afford Bibleworks (even at the student price of $250), I have found some other ways you can get advanced grammatical analysis.
    The first is the Interlinear Scripture Analyzer, www.scripture4all.org. It installs and runs perfectly under wine. It has a few problems:
    • Greek uncials (capitals) only
    • No breathing/accent marks
    • Uses old KJV-Strongs translations
    • Unvocalized Hebrew text

However, it does parse all of your words perfectly and give at least a ballpark word for the meaning. Having already taken quite a bit of Greek, it gives me enough cheats to deal with pesky participles and infinitives.

I balance that with my Reader's Greek NT (which gives glosses for words that appear less than 500 times), Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis (a great little cheat book) and a quick draw on the BDAG lexicon. When I am doing a syntactical display and I want to copy/paste the greek text, I go to greekbible.com and copy it from there. Honestly, about 95% of the time all I need is the ISA.

As far as Hebrew goes... ISA has it, but I find it too difficult to read an unvocalized text.

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Haven't tried Bible Works.
    E-sword with wine is great. Runs faster than native. I use it because it's quick search engine. The install is quick and easy, except for the library files. They need to be extracted, you can not install them with wine. I've posted a howto in the wine appdb site. They come with some weird installer. Have tried contacting the author several times asking for at least the libraries in zip or tar formats but no response. Maybe some input from the rest of the *nix users would help.
    Win4lin is a must, at least for me.
    I use Logos, Gramcord, and ISA (freeware) all these are windows only, wine can not handle them at all. Well haven't tried installing ISA under wine yet.
    I also use it for Adobe Professional and a few other windows only programs. There is a very minimal performance loss and if I upgraded my ram that probably wouldn't even there, but it's so minimal I'll save my money for other things. You can do a 15 day free trial so check it out. Setting it to full screen is easy it's all in the user manual. I run it at 800x600 in it's own window so I can keep it open while running other *nix programs on the same desktop. At full screen I did allot of desktop switching ans was annoying, at least for me.
    A good site for Greek is http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...dex?lang=greek
    OK tried ISA install with wine works just fine.
    Last edited by silvagroup; November 12th, 2006 at 09:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

http://www.ultimasurf.net/bible/bibl...resources.html

I'll try and reinstall esword under wine, it failed to take before, and when I had even less ubuntu skills than I do now. Wish me luck. Meanwhile, here is a good study resource for windows which needs to be given a try.

www.scripture4all.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

I just stick with good ol' GnomeSword
    "If you don't believe...if you can't accept anything by faith, then you're doomed to a life dominated by doubt."
    "I gave in and admitted that God was God."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast