Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu

You should be able to just double click the .deb file to install it. Or you can go to the Terminal and type the following.

sudo dpkg -i "path to .deb"

Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by guest5 View Post
    http://www.ultimasurf.net/bible/bibl...resources.html

I'll try and reinstall esword under wine, it failed to take before, and when I had even less ubuntu skills than I do now. Wish me luck. Meanwhile, here is a good study resource for windows which needs to be given a try.

www.scripture4all.org
    I downloaded Scripture4all It runs under wine but can't get it to load from the menu
    any suggestions? Thanks =Blessings David
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.04 /14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ kc1di:
    Sometimes a wineboot in terminal will clear that up. Also make sure that your menu settings are thus - Command: wine "C:\Program Files\ISA\ISA.exe",
    Wok Path: /home/carlos/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/ISA.

@ LeeU:
    Has anyone figured out the original topic of this thread: Running Bible Works on Ubuntu ?
    Have tried many things without any luck. Have my XP re-installed so maybe prayerfully within the next week may find something of help, also just updated wine to, but for now the answer is, no, unless someone has and hasn't posted their successful install.

Beans

Running Bible Works 7 on 64-bit Ubuntu 7.10

BibleWorks 7 is now running well under 64-bit Gutsy Gnome. It was installed through the Wine Dos/Windows emulator that had been installed via Synaptic.

The only problem was that the installer could not find the BW7 .cab files after a CD-ROM disc change. The solution was to copy the installation CD-ROM discs to a folder on the local hard drive and run Setup.exe from that folder.

(This is sooo good, that the only reason for keeping Windows around remains MS Word which has a few features that OpenOffice.org must still be working on for a future release.)

At the start of the BW7 installation, I chose to have it create a desktop icon which works fine. When asked whether to download the Gheko HTML viewer, I wrongly replied No, leaving the help files unreadable. How to remedy that mistake?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

First, get Java enabled properly. Your system has a few different types on it. First,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    java -version
    Then, you have to set the right version of java as default:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 4 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection    Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
              1    /usr/bin/gij-4.2
              2    /usr/bin/gij-4.1
    *+        3    /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
              4    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
    The one you want is 'java-6-sun'. On this system it's number 4, yours may not have all of these, or it may have more... Just pick the one that says 'java-6-sun' by entering the right number
    That gets Java running right.

Then on to Bible Desktop:
    Code:
    wget -c http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/jsword/release/bibledesktop-1.0.7-bin.tar.gz
    tar -xvzf bibledesktop-1.0.7-bin.tar.gz
    cd jsword-1.0.7/
    chmod +x BibleDesktop.sh
    ./BibleDesktop.sh
    Then, it should be opening for you without wine. Your 'bible desktop.sh' (The file that opens it) will be located in Places > Home > jsword-1.0.7
    Registered Linux user #413419.

Beans

Though it might seem a little late for an answer, please try this solution:
    move to folder /.wine/drive_c/windows (the dot means it is a hidden folder, you have to enable show hidden files under view menu), and renamo or remove any file of the form bw6*.ini. this worked for me.
    Best regards
    Ariel

Beans

I have a how to for setting up Bibleworks (with Wine) on my blog. Maybe it will help. http://nerdlets.thekeenehouse.com/20...in-ubuntu-804/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wtstommy View Post
    I have a how to for setting up Bibleworks (with Wine) on my blog. Maybe it will help. http://nerdlets.thekeenehouse.com/20...in-ubuntu-804/
    These instructions were very helpful, and all went as stated, except that the english font is not displayed properly and the "Getting Started" window appears each time, regardless of unchecking the box to suppress it. The latter problem I can live with, but not the font problem. I tried changing the English font under Tools/Options (to Tahoma, for example) but it made no difference. I can't even figure out what most of the font names are, because the font used to display them is haywire.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wtstommy View Post
    It would be cool if you could add this to the Ubuntu CE Wiki

Thanks, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Bible Works 5 installs and runs fine with WINE. So if you have the older version give it a try.

Tim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast