Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO disable screensaver and powermanager while mplayer or other apps are running

Beans

Re: HOWTO disable screensaver and powermanager while mplayer or other apps are runnin

Crazy's list of necessary packages: dbus (>= 0.93), python-dbus, gnome-screensaver, and gnome-powermanager (on gnome 2.16) is all you need.

So I've tried his script on Hardy 8.04 x64 and it works with the following exceptions:

1) Will not work on programs that can't be minimized to the taskbar. OpenArena is classic example and the main reason I went searching for a disabler in the 1st place.

2) Will not work on programs that are in system tray, but not present as running program in taskbar. Example: Amarok (amarokapp to system). >> not so sure about this one now ... works as intended ATM <<

3) The disabler list is not re-entrant. Changes to the list must be accompanied by logoff - login. The script does not autoload but will if placed as new item in System>Preferences>Sessions

... the search continues ...
    Last edited by xen-uno; August 24th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
    Ubuntu 8.10 x64 & XP Pro x64, Intel DP35DP MoBo, 3.0 GHz E8400 C2D, (2x2) GB GSkill DDR2 800 RAM, BFG-NVidia 8800GT video,
    Koutech PCIe NE222 I/O & PESI300 RAID, M-Audio 2496, DLink 10/100 PCI NIC, and Gateway 24" WS.
    > Linux user #: 476579 <

Beans

Re: HOWTO disable screensaver and powermanager while mplayer or other apps are runnin

i get this error in intrepid:

Code:
    DisableGSS: config file ~/.disablegss doesn't exist! Write it by hand. 
    Add applications name that could disable gnome screensaver: 
    one app name for every line of file.
    I'm not sure if the permissions are wrong, or what. I have the config file in /home/username/.disablegss
    Last edited by ffixcollector; March 22nd, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Beans

Is it possible to mod this patch so that screensaved doesn't kick in only if mplayer(smplayer) is playing the movie?
    That mean if the movie is paused, the power manager/screensaver would work normally.
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans

what about the 9.10?
    i'd the same problem.
    it might works?

Beans

I confirm it working with 9.10

Beans

The inhibitor applet in the gnome-panel does the same thing right?

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems that this application is no longer actively developed/maintained.

You may want to try Caffeine.

Caffeine is a system applet that allows the user to temporarily inhibit both the screensaver and the sleep power saving mode, simply by clicking on it. This could be useful for example when watching long flash videos or playing certain full screen games that don't inhibit the screensaver by themselves.

Beans

Works like a charm in Karmic 64-bit with self-compiled MPlayer and FFmpeg and the repo-SMPlayer (added line "smplayer" to config file, just for sure). Well done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    It seems that this application is no longer actively developed/maintained.

You may want to try Caffeine.

Caffeine is a system applet that allows the user to temporarily inhibit both the screensaver and the sleep power saving mode, simply by clicking on it. This could be useful for example when watching long flash videos or playing certain full screen games that don't inhibit the screensaver by themselves.
    Dude, I've been looking for an applet that does *precisely* this for almost 2 years now.

You've made my day.
    Last edited by >:3; December 20th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123