Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: call for testers: specto 0.1 release!

Beans

Talking specto 0.1 released for edgy

Want bleeding edge apps hot from the oven?

I am hereby providing a first release for edgy users who like to try out new stuff. Be aware that I *might* update the .deb package attached if emergency calls for it, but this is basically a first "stable" release. It is currently partially translated in French, German, Romanian. Any comments/patches/problem reports are appreciated!

Specto is a desktop application that will watch user-specified events (website updates, emails, file and folder changes...). For example, this allows you to specify a website to watch, and Specto will automatically check for updates on the web page. It will then notify the user when there is activity. This will allow the user to be informed of new updates/events instead of having to look out for them. This changes the way you work, because Specto will only notify you when something happens, and stay out of the way otherwise.
    We are a volunteer project, free “as in beer” and free “as in GNU GPL v2”, and contributions are very, very, very welcome. If you like this software and want to fix annoyances that itch you, we value all the help we can get. You don't need to be a hacking guru! (full announcement and release notes)
    I'm releasing this in hope to get feedback from ubuntu testing users. Have fun and please give me your comments!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kiddo; October 26th, 2006 at 05:07 AM.

Beans

Re: call for testers: specto 0.1 release!

Hm. Actually I realize this thread should go in another forum, maybe Ubuntu Café, could someone move it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: specto 0.1 released for edgy

woah!! This is exactly something that I've wanted for a while now.. I've just been too lazy to actually write anything and this looks a whole lot better anyway . I'll definitely have to check this out...
    Thinkpad T43p
    things I'm generally addicted to: slashdot.org, osnews.com, digg.com, and heroin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just to confirm, this is written in python, yes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

And for those of you who like your software sitting in a repository, the misc section of my repository has the 0.1 version packaged for your enjoyment. You'll have better luck/speed with the mirrors, too: http://ubuntu.systemadministrator.org and http://ubuntu.moshen.de

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    Just to confirm, this is written in python, yes?
    Yes, it is, by python beginners (not sure if that's relevant, that they're beginners).

This is definitely one of my favorite projects. I am keeping up with updates, although I don't use Specto at the moment. Couldn't figure out how to use it. But I'll use it one day.

Beans

Since I don't yet use Edgy, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to produce a .deb for Dapper. The biggest hangup seems to be the dependency python-central, which conflicts with Dapper's version of debhelper. And after resolving all the dependency issues with upgrading debhelper, I'd practically wind up with Edgy anyway. (I broke pbuilder in the process of trying to upgrade debhelper. Fortunately, that's not too difficult to recover from.)

Is python-central really required? The dependency list for the source tarball on sourceforge says nothing about python-central. What do I need to do to make a Dapper deb without all those upgrades? Since the tarball doesn't use the standard "./configure && make && sudo make install" I'm out of my element.

Or, could somebody post a Dapper .deb and save me the effort? I refuse to install non-deb software on my system, unless I can make a deb before installing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Since I don't yet use Edgy, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to produce a .deb for Dapper. The biggest hangup seems to be the dependency python-central, which conflicts with Dapper's version of debhelper. And after resolving all the dependency issues with upgrading debhelper, I'd practically wind up with Edgy anyway. (I broke pbuilder in the process of trying to upgrade debhelper. Fortunately, that's not too difficult to recover from.)

Is python-central really required? The dependency list for the source tarball on sourceforge says nothing about python-central. What do I need to do to make a Dapper deb without all those upgrades? Since the tarball doesn't use the standard "./configure && make && sudo make install" I'm out of my element.

Or, could somebody post a Dapper .deb and save me the effort? I refuse to install non-deb software on my system, unless I can make a deb before installing.
    Oooh, difficult. The python-central dependency is there to support Debian's new python policy. You could also build it with python-support instead, but you'd need to change a bit of the packaging stuff. Specifically, change the debian/rules line which says "pycentral" to "pysupport". I think that should be all you need to do to get a working deb.
    Last edited by RAOF; October 26th, 2006 at 07:24 AM.

Beans

The idea is great.

But... I need SSL for my email accounts. Created a bug on this issue, but it might actually be a feature request.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo View Post
    Hm. Actually I realize this thread should go in another forum, maybe Ubuntu Café, could someone move it?
    Done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast