Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prevu and mythtv .20?

Beans

Prevu and mythtv .20?

Referring to jdong's backport program for edgy to dapper
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=268647
    I'm wondering if mythtv .20 would be a good candidate for prevu.

I have a dapper box that for various reasons won't be upgrading to edgy for a bit but I'd like mythtv .20 on it. I'm concerned if I'll run into issues with some of the dependences (mainly mysql stuff). Will preview attempt to backport mysql etc as well? Would it still if I install the dapper binary's of mysql first? And would that even be recommended?

Just trying to pick the smoothest way to get mythtv .20 on dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Prevu and mythtv .20?

I have been hosting a dapper repository with the same sources being released for edgy. It also has the missing libraries that would normally fail through prevu, libraw1394, libavc1394.

Code:
    #my myth repo
    deb http://home.eng.iastate.edu/~superm1 dapper main
    deb-src http://home.eng.iastate.edu/~superm1 dapper main

Beans

I'm gald to see this, I'm sure this will save a lot of headaches. I searched for a dapper rep, but never came across yours. There really should be an apt-get.org/search equiv for ubuntu.

But anyway ran into my first snag, got this at the end of the install:

E: mythtv-database: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    E: mythtv: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

but I'll continue with the configuring and see if it resolves it.

Beans
    Distro

There have been a number of issues with using mythtv-database. Your original install, how was it done? if its originally installed from source, update a file named /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt. This needs to match the settings for where your mysql server is setup and the correct username and password for the database if it already exists.

Beans

I reinstalled mythth-database just to get a more detailed console output:

Errors were encountered while processing:
    mythtv-database
    mythtv
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
    Setting up mythtv-database (0.20-0.2ubuntu1) ...
    Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
    Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
    If you supplied incorrect information, try:
    dpkg-reconfigure --force mythtv-database
    dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
    mythtv depends on mythtv-database (= 0.20-0.2ubuntu1); however:
    Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mythtv-database
    mythtv

Ok, so seeing your post and this, I'm sure it's a mysql issue. When first installing it asked me the mysql database pass, which I haven't set up on this system and help said to most likely leave this blank.

I'll read up on the mysql part but if you have any info to get me started quickly or point me in the right direction it would be great.

Oh and regards to your question, I never had mysql nor mythtv on this box so I never touched the source of either.

Beans
    Distro

This may be a silly question, but Do you have mysql-server installed an running? It's not installed by default because mysql-server doesn't have to be on the machine that mythtv-database is installed on.

Beans

And looking in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt I see a db name and generated dbpass word. The original install asked me for that, Could I just reinstall mythtv (not sure which particular pkg) and input the password or do I need to setup mysql manually at this point? And I assume I have to create the user account mythtv, not sure if the install did that.

Beans
    Distro

The install creates the mythtv user account. When you install mysql-server, you should be able to complete the install.

Be sure to run mythtv-setup as sudo however. This will make sure that /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt is readable.

so in short:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install mysql-server
    If the install of mythtv-database doesn't finish from this step,

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    And lastly, start the backend setup:
    Code:
    sudo mythtv-setup

Beans

Heh, not a silly question at all, nope it wasn't installed, I thought it was flagged for install during myth's install, but makes sense that mysql doesn't need to be on the same box.

I've installed it now, and reinstalled database with no errors, thx a lot for the assistance.

And now I noticed the mythtv user has been created, I'll continue on with the setup procedure and post back.

Beans

Hmm, I replied earlier but just noticed it didn't post.

Heh, no it's not too silly a question, I thought I had it flagged for install but I didn't. I've installed it now and everything seems to be configured properly. Thanks again.

Now, on to actually configuring this beast. The first thing I'd like to do is get my ati remote working with this. I've seen some guides that use lirc, but for awhile now there has been an ati module which I already have loaded. It has the basic keys configured, but never looked into how to configure this with all the buttons. Too bad myth doesn't have a remote configuration utility.

Next I want to set up a mythfrontend on another box to log into this one.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is when watching live tv, if I push up/down to see the text description of whats on other channels, it has the description, but in the top left of the popup it says 'adding cha' (assuming adding channel). During the guide setup I said sort by channel number and not by name, not sure if that gave it some issue.

Btw, I wanted to run through the setup just to check things over again, and it said the backend is already running. I know I could just kill the process but is there a more graceful way of shutting it down?

And the mythtv user just launches gnome by default, once it's all configured I want it to automatically launch mythfrontend, or better yet have that as an option in gdm for the sessions, so I can launch the mythtv user in a normal (gnome/icewm etc) session if I need to troubleshoot stuff.

Right now I'm just launching icewm and from there launching the front end and just having icewm hide the panel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast