Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Fc6..... Yuck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fc6..... Yuck!

...hmmm, virtualization went well w/ FC6 on an IBM server... The only problem I had when I installed it on my laptop was adding the ipw2200 firmware. I know it's no big deal but a pain. After installation & config if I move away from my home wireless network and connected it at work it appears to hang on start-up trying to obtain an IP it'll never get. Where as Ubuntu, just ignores and moves on...

Let's go ahead and start a war, but:

If you added the start-up time of 6.06LTS & 6.10 together you'll have a close approximation of how long FC6 takes to boot. (Only a little exaggeration).

Synaptic is much quicker on the up-take than YUM...

This is not an opinion: everyone likes browser window vs window for window in nautilus.

Too much reconfig after install for proper display screen, reconfig volume key shortcuts for laptop, etc.

However, it is very powerful and great on a server... (still, I like Ubuntu on the laptop )

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

Yum is faster but yumex still pisses me off with its lagging. Even with using only two cds, Fedora is at least twice as slow, if not more, than Ubuntu. Wiped it and put Ubuntu Edgy Eft back on.

The one thing I liked is that if you installed the 9xxx nvidia drivers, it would have Compiz set up with an option to turn it on and off. So you could turn it on to show off and turn it off to play games.

Other than that, not missing much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I went back to Ubuntu about 3-4 days ago. The reason is to have a lot of trouble with fonts. On Mplayer and on Firefox. I couldn't solve them. But I have trouble with Mplayer on Ubuntu now. But it is better to have problem with watching divx than having problem with Firefox which I use every second of my computer usage.

I still like Fedora's look better, so I changed all the icons on Ubuntu and also the window borders so that it looks like Fedora
    Last edited by ZuLuuuuuu; November 26th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raqball View Post
    I installed FC6 final release today and after about an hour I am NOW installing Ubuntu 6.06 back on the laptop.

Boot times in FC6 are pathetic and install time is even more pathetic. Hated it so back I go to the good ol reliable 6.06..

Anyone else try FC6?
    I would install fc6 if it only would install - for some reason the installer bombed out after I selected the software to install - funny thing is I installed edgy on the same computer with no problems - oh well - guess I have to stick with edgy. maybe I will try fedora on another box someday when i have time.

Beans

I'd have to say it is a close tie between the two distro's, I personally go with Fedora, for the simple fact that I can easily remove gnome-games and all that extra stuff without worrying about updates down the road brining them back in.

And I need the latest Kdevelop, and prefer to not have to download it from www.kdevelop.org, its in Yum, sadly its not available via synaptic.

Oh and I got java sun download to install and work... I always need the latest version, so being able to just use the bin and make it work quickly, is a plus for me.

I guess Fedora seems more suited for a developer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I guess Fedora seems more suited for a developer.
    i get the impression that its aimed more at the developer and the server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i heard someone say, "i dont like deb, i like rpm...so i use fedora"...

no idea what that means

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by neoflight View Post
    i heard someone say, "i dont like deb, i like rpm...so i use fedora"...

no idea what that means
    they have sense . it means that dpkg is too limited.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789