Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HOWTO: Maple

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Maple

Hi - thanks for the instructions - the install worked fine after a wee bit of fiddling The only problem is that when I run xmaple (I use /root/maple9.5/bin/xmaple) it just won't start - the command line version works just fine but I need to use the gui for plotting and such... I tried capturing the output of the program using nohup but it exits without saying anything so I have absolutely no idea what the problem is.

(I am now using ArchLinux and KDE4.1 but this is the only guide I could find anywhere that applied to the problem)

Beans

Hey all. I'm really new to ubuntu and I'm trying to load maple 10 on Intrepid Ibex. I followed the HOWTO and I still got the same error message. Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gertvdijk View Post
    Great How-to. Still one problem: Maple just won't start. When I execute xmaple in the terminal nothing shows, no window, no error.
    I use Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) 64-bit and Maple 10 .bin installer provided by my university. The activation failed in the installation process (too many registrations on purchase code). Could that be the problem? I just skipped the activation step and Maple assured me I can activate at a later time.
    Edit: Now I have downloaded a license.dat file the maple commandline tool comes with the following:

So I found out that I miss the X86_64 dir! Well... I just symlinked that non-existing dir to the bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX dir (Is that a good idea?). Now Maple is complaining about the license file.

Edit2: I also needed to symlink the jre dir. Besides, somehow the license file I downloaded was empty.
    Solved that and now Maple is up and running @ Gutsy 64-bit!
    Edit3:

For in the how-to
    If you're running 64-bit version you need to symlink the non-existing dirs bin.X86_64_LINUX and jre_X86_64_LINUX to their 32-bit equivalents:
    Code:
    # First go to the install location e.g. /usr/local/maple10/
    $ ln -s bin.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/ bin.X86_64_LINUX
    $ ln -s jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX/ jre.X86_64_LINUX
    If you must use a network license and you don't get this option when installing Maple (Maple 11 & up seems to provide this):
    download the license.dat file you must acquire from your institution or company and place it in the license/ dir.
    Simply making a symbolic link didn't do it for me. I copied jre.IBM_INTEL_LINUX to a new directory jre.X86_64_LINUX. This works.

Thanks!

Beans

How to install maple 9.5 on Ubuntu 11.04

I just successfully install maple 9.5 for single user on Ubuntu 11.04 after many trials.
    The guide provided by https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Maple/
    is lack of some detail for this version of ubuntu.

Before you do this:
    1. use the Ubuntu software center to install the <libghc6, font python font manager>

2. Info: Maple will be install in directory: opt/maple9.5
    Copy the files from cdrom to home/user
    (note: if you cannot mount the cdrom: you will need isobuster under Windows to extract the needed files from the right track).
    3. use the commands as recommended by ubuntu community:
    (i) use terminal (control + alt +T) to enter the following command lines after lines -- each ending with <enter>
    (ii) sudo mkdir -p /opt/maple9.5 (you shall install in this directory)
    (iii) sudo ./installMapleLinuxSU

Maple installer will appear:
    >> enter serial number
    >> directory -- you must locate opt/maple9.5 (do not use root directory)
    >> message will indicate success and you now can close the installer.

(iv) Terminal screen may report some problems -- just ignore but record the message on paper for future use
    (v) use the exact command given by ubuntu comm guide.
    on the terminal, add these two lines:
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin <enter>
    sudo ln -s /opt/maple9.5/bin/{x, } maple/user/local/bin

(vi) You are DONE with installing
    You will need to run maple.
    How? click <system file> <opt> <maple9.5><bin>
    select <xmaple> <copy to > <desktop>
    (vii) from desktop click <xmaple> select <run>
    (viii) you can see maple appears ... good luck.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456