Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google CSE or Ubuntu Search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Lightbulb Google CSE or Ubuntu Search

Google announced today the launch of the Google Custom Search Engine.

We're thrilled to tell you that the search for your own search engine is over. Today we are launching the Google Custom Search Engine. As you might imagine, it's a simple and straightforward product to use and understand. In a matter of minutes you can create a search engine that reflects your knowledge and interests; looks and feels like your own; and, if you choose, you can make money from the traffic you receive through Google's AdSense program. You can even invite your friends and trusted community members to add to and help build your search engine.
    so I could not resist and started an "Ubuntu Search", have a look at it - the search is open for volunteers (whats that) which can help to improve the search by adding good resources and make the design better.

btw I don't intend to make money from this 8)

that's all at the moment, let's see if someone is interested

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: Google CSE or Ubuntu Search

Great idea, I volunteer to help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMono View Post
    Great idea, I volunteer to help.
    same here
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: Google CSE or Ubuntu Search

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    same here
    Me too.
    Computer freak at work.
    Got a problem? Try the Linux System Rescue CD!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You are in too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This could be a really great tool for newbies to filter through the junk that they don't want to find information they need.

Thanks.

I don't feel the urge to volunteer because I am not a linux expert, but I will surely bookmark it and use it.
    Last edited by morequarky; October 25th, 2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: clearifying thought
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Do you think some general linux websites discribing various parts of linux should be included in the search engine?

Is it possible to add individual web pages or only websites? Individual pages would be great.
    'It seems as if we are sitting here tuning our Ferraris but feel compelled to shout out "I hate Ford!" at least once a day.' by user MikeGreen
    Ubuntu Search

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Google CSE or Ubuntu Search

I volunteer ! And here is my "Linux" search http://google.com/coop/cse?cx=003995...%3Aly3elk9upki
    come one come all !

Beans

my only question is how is this search engine fundamentally different from the Ubuntu Search engines that already exist?
    http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.h...mitform=Search
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

How is this search engine fundamentally different from the Ubuntu Search engines that already exist? posted by yozef

Good question. I really don't have a great answer for that question. I hoped this search engine would point at only up todate information on Ubuntu, Debian, and other sources useful for using Ubuntu. Other search engines could do that, but as a newbie, I haven't gone out looking for such search engines and also they haven't been advertised to the point that general newbies know they even exists.

Maybe if such search engines were more "known" then repeat questions on the forum would be reduced further.
    Ubuntu Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast