Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: linux drivers for Linksys CIT200?

Beans

Re: linux drivers for Linksys CIT200?

Hi ozite!
    This may be related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...py/+bug/566303.

Please just check that your system is up-to-date: sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade

Strange that the error is about DBUS since the code prefers X11 as transport over DBUS. You use X11? Is the $DISPLAY variable set?

I just did/used another patch that may be unrelated to this issue (or maybe not):
    Code:
    $ diff /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py.orig /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py
    *** /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py.orig      2012-03-10 13:36:11.186580377 +0100
    --- /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py   2012-03-10 13:36:19.902580088 +0100
    *************** class SkypeAPI(SkypeAPIBase):
    *** 87,88 ****
    --- 87,98 ----
          def run(self):
    +         # Bug fix 'segmentation fault core dumped' when using dbus.
    +         self.logger.info('thread started')
    +         if self.run_main_loop:
    +             context = self.mainloop.get_context()
    +             while True:
    +                 context.iteration(False)
    +                 time.sleep(0.2)
    +         self.logger.info('thread finished')
    + 
    +     def runOld(self):
              self.logger.info('thread started')

EDIT:
    The fix that could work for you is to replace:
    os.execlp('skype')
    WITH
    os.execlp('skype','--')
    in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_x11.py (as how it was explained in the bug-link above).
    But only do that if an update does NOT resolve the problem, you could also try/check the skype4Py repository if there is still this bug.
    Code:
    diff -p1 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_x11.py.orig /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_x11.py
    *** /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_x11.py.orig    2012-03-10 13:56:30.098539764 +0100
    --- /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_x11.py       2012-03-10 13:56:24.862539940 +0100
    *** 402,404 ****
                      os.setsid()
    !                 os.execlp('skype')

--- 402,404 ----
                      os.setsid()
    !                 os.execlp('skype',--)

and the same in posix_dbus.py:
    Code:
    $ diff -p1 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py.orig /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py
    *** /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py.orig      2012-03-10 14:06:28.998519810 +0100
    --- /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py   2012-03-10 14:06:38.898519480 +0100
    *** 188,190 ****
                      os.setsid()
    !                 os.execlp('skype')

--- 188,190 ----
                      os.setsid()
    !                 os.execlp('skype','--')
    Last edited by pippo06; March 10th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pippo06 View Post
    Hi ozite!
    This may be related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...py/+bug/566303.

Please just check that your system is up-to-date: sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade

Strange that the error is about DBUS since the code prefers X11 as transport over DBUS. You use X11? Is the $DISPLAY variable set?

I just did/used another patch that may be unrelated to this issue (or maybe not):
    ----

My system was up to date. I don't know how best to check the$DISPLAY variable. I'm using the default gui in 11.10.

Code:
    ozite@ubuntu:~$ echo $DISPLAY
    :0
    Code:
    nvidia-settings:  version 280.13  (buildd@yellow)  Fri Aug  5 12:31:28 UTC
      The NVIDIA X Server Settings tool.

This program is used to configure the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.
      For more detail, please see the nvidia-settings(1) man page.

Copyright (C) 2004 - 2010 NVIDIA Corporation.
    It still had the same error, but that was solved by putting the ,'--' in the two files you described above. Should it be "os.execlp('skype','--')" in each file, or "! os.execlp('skype',--)" in posix_x11.py?

Skype is opened when I execute "sudo python cit200xSkype.py", but I don't see any other audio devices. The CIT200 phone only shows disconnected.

I also get error messages "Another Skype instance may exist" if I quit Skype and try to reopen it.

Beans

Yes without the exclamation mark (which was generated from the diff tool)!

I think you have patched them correctly, but re-check that both posix_x11.py and posix_dbus.py have
    os.execlp('skype','--')
    instead of
    os.execlp('skype')

I think the X11 is ok on your system

The next (and of course a different) problem seems to be the connection to the skype process:
    - just try to close any instance of skype (check it also w/ 'ps aux|grep skype' just to be sure) and re-start cit200xSkype.
    - another way: test skype alone (does it still give the error saying that there is another instance?if yes a reboot will propably solve it, but killing skype completely will be faster)

The CIT200 phone only shows disconnected
    How do you know that? Does some entries named similar to Linksys CIT200 appear in the sound devices list in the skype Options? I do NOT know how you can say that it is disconnected, you should plug the USB base in and lsusb will show a line identifying the device with ID 13b1:001d Linksys. Is that ok on your system? Remember that the CIT200 is a HID (Human Interface Device) and cit200xSkype is NOT a driver for it (the linux kernel supports these HID devices, i.e. the audio part etc since a while), but it is a tool to communicate w/ the base/phone by receiving/sending commands to it. Hope that clarifies what cit200xskype is and what was missing up until now (indeed one of the first posters in this thread already stated that the driver is NOT the problem).

Hope this helps. Tell me if you have still doubts or experience any problems.

Best,
    Pippo

UPDATE:
    if you by disconnected mean that the device is displaying the text "DISCONNECTED" you should really try to issue the command:
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    and check if you find the Linksys device in the output w/ the ID I posted above. If it is different from mine and you are sure that it is THE cit200 phone just try to update the ID_VENDOR and ID_PRODUCT variables in cit200xSkype.py. But that should absolutely NOT be the case.
    Last edited by pippo06; March 10th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

Yes without the exclamation mark (which was generated from the diff tool)!

I think you have patched them correctly, but re-check that both posix_x11.py and posix_dbus.py have
    os.execlp('skype','--')
    instead of
    os.execlp('skype')

I think the X11 is ok on your system

The next (and of course a different) problem seems to be the connection to the skype process:
    - just try to close any instance of skype (check it also w/ 'ps aux|grep skype' just to be sure) and re-start cit200xSkype.
    - another way: test skype alone (does it still give the error saying that there is another instance?if yes a reboot will propably solve it, but killing skype completely will be faster)

How do you know that? Does some entries named similar to Linksys CIT200 appear in the sound devices list in the skype Options? I do NOT know how you can say that it is disconnected, you should plug the USB base in and lsusb will show a line identifying the device with ID 13b1:001d Linksys. Is that ok on your system? Remember that the CIT200 is a HID (Human Interface Device) and cit200xSkype is NOT a driver for it (the linux kernel supports these HID devices, i.e. the audio part etc since a while), but it is a tool to communicate w/ the base/phone by receiving/sending commands to it. Hope that clarifies what cit200xskype is and what was missing up until now (indeed one of the first posters in this thread already stated that the driver is NOT the problem).

Hope this helps. Tell me if you have still doubts or experience any problems.

Best,
    Pippo

UPDATE:
    if you by disconnected mean that the device is displaying the text "DISCONNECTED" you should really try to issue the command:
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    and check if you find the Linksys device in the output w/ the ID I posted above. If it is different from mine and you are sure that it is THE cit200 phone just try to update the ID_VENDOR and ID_PRODUCT variables in cit200xSkype.py. But that should absolutely NOT be the case.
    The posix_x11.py and posix_dbus.py were both changed and seem to be okay. I restarted and can close Skype and run the "sudo python cit200xSkype.py" to start Skype again.

The only sound devices are PulseAudio Server (Local). The hardware works okay in Virtual Box/XP and I can make a call.

The device ID seems to be okay.

Code:
    ozite@ubuntu:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 13b1:001d Linksys 
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 15ca:00c3 Textech International Ltd. Mini Optical Mouse
    By disconnected I meant the display on the front of the phone.

Thanks for your patience.

Could pulseaudio be part of the problem?

Beans

Ok, the output is totally ok.
    Can you also provide the output of sudo python cit200xSkype.py to see how far you are?

In the skype application on my system I have (along my HDMI audio device and the entry Default device (default)) also these lines (go to Options (CTRL-O) and click on Sound Devices):
    Code:
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Default Audio Device (default:CARD=CIT200)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Front speakers (front:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers (surround40:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output (iec958:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Direct sample snooping device (dsnoop:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Direct hardware device without any conversions (hw:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Hardware device with all software conversions (plughw:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    If you do NOT have any of these entries we should check if it depends on the audio backend (I use gstreamer at the moment, but it should work with pulseaudio also). What do you have in the systemsettings->Multimedia->Phonon->Backend? PulseAudio?

It could also be that a kernel module that I have added is missing (blacklisted?) on your system or that the device was already claimed by another application!? You currently do NOT use the device on vmware,do you? You should detach it from vmware for the moment if so.

Please also check if you use the most recent version of skype (just in case,but since it is updated only rarely that should NOT be the problem).

Thanks for your patience.
    I thank you for the testing. I think we can find the problem and add it to the README/instructions!

Best,
    Pippo

EDIT:
    I saw that e.g. comment #58 (EDIT2: ok, that was even you to suggest that solution,so you know what needs to be undone?) suggested to black-list some modules. If you have done so, you need to undo it for these tests, otherwise it can't work of course. Please check it for instance w/ modprobe -l or simply undo the changes in the config files w/ a text editor.
    Last edited by pippo06; March 10th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Beans

Ok, the output is totally ok.
    Can you also provide the output of sudo python cit200xSkype.py to see how far you are?

In the skype application on my system I have (along my HDMI audio device and the entry Default device (default)) also these lines (go to Options (CTRL-O) and click on Sound Devices):
    Code:
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Default Audio Device (default:CARD=CIT200)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Front speakers (front:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers (surround40:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output (iec958:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Direct sample snooping device (dsnoop:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Direct hardware device without any conversions (hw:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    Linksys CIT200, USB Audio Hardware device with all software conversions (plughw:CARD=CIT200,DEV=0)
    If you do NOT have any of these entries we should check if it depends on the audio backend (I use gstreamer at the moment, but it should work with pulseaudio also). What do you have in the systemsettings->Multimedia->Phonon->Backend? PulseAudio?

It could also be that a kernel module that I have added is missing (blacklisted?) on your system or that the device was already claimed by another application!? You currently do NOT use the device on vmware,do you? You should detach it from vmware for the moment if so.

Please also check if you use the most recent version of skype (just in case,but since it is updated only rarely that should NOT be the problem).

I thank you for the testing. I think we can find the problem and add it to the README/instructions!

Best,
    Pippo

EDIT:
    I saw that e.g. comment #58 (EDIT2: ok, that was even you to suggest that solution,so you know what needs to be undone?) suggested to black-list some modules. If you have done so, you need to undo it for these tests, otherwise it can't work of course. Please checked that e.g. w/ modprobe -l or simply undo the changes in the config files.
    I commented the line that was blacklisting the snd-usb-audio and restarted. I don't know yet if that is sufficient, but I did have a new entry under audio hardware.

I don't have a System Settings -> Multimedia. I have a "sound" icon. After commenting the blacklist, a Linksys CIT200, 1 Output/1 Input/Analog Mono Duplex device is now in hardware. An input device is also listed for Liksys CIT200. Seems like making progress, but...

Here's the output from a terminal.
    Code:
    ozite@ubuntu:~/cit200xSkype$ sudo python cit200xSkype.py 
    [sudo] password for ozite: 
    [i] Connecting to Skype..
    ozite@ubuntu:~/cit200xSkype$
    Skype is opened and I login.

Under sound devices, only the PulseAudio server (local) is listed in Skype.

Beans

Hi,
    sorry but it seems that you also need the first patch I suggested in comment #61, this will let cit200xSkype continue (without the unexpected "crash",maybe a SEGV in posix_dbus of Skype4Py). Please test again with that patch.
    And yes, if you have additional audio devices also Skype should list them. Please confirm that you use the most recent version and have restarted Skype after the modprobe changes!

AND please check also the "Why do I see only "PulseAudio Server (local)" in my devices list?" question in the skype official blog http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2009/09...lanations.html! Maybe you can leave that setting there but then you need to tell pulseaudio to use the "right" device for skype (I'm NOT totally sure how to do that)
    Last edited by pippo06; March 10th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Beans

Hi,
    sorry but it seems that you also need the first patch I suggested in comment #61, this will let cit200xSkype continue (without the unexpected "crash",maybe a SEGV in posix_dbus of Skype4Py). Please test again with that patch.
    And yes, if you have additional audio devices also Skype should list them. Please confirm that you use the most recent version and have restarted Skype after the modprobe changes!

AND please check also the "Why do I see only "PulseAudio Server (local)" in my devices list?" question in the skype official blog http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2009/09...lanations.html! Maybe you can leave that setting there but then you need to tell pulseaudio to use the "right" device for skype (I'm NOT totally sure how to do that)
    I applied the first patch and that helps. Now I get the following:

Code:
    ozite@ubuntu:~/cit200xSkype$ sudo python cit200xSkype.py 
    [sudo] password for ozite: 
    [i] Connecting to Skype..
    [+] Successfully attached to skype process
    [i] User status was changed to ONLINE
    [i] Calling echo123
    I can initiate calls from the handset , but I can't get the audio/microphone through the handset (yet).

I'll read through the Skype for Linux blog link you provided and see if I can get some information there to deal with Pulseaudio and Skype.

Beans

That's awesome!
    Hope you get a quick answer to the missing part (pulseaudio). Sorry,I'm NO expert w/ that and may NOT be able to help you further to get the right device selected (but there are many blog/forums around that address the problem).
    Anyway, cit200xSkype seems at least to start and do its things correct (till now) on your system.
    If it (the audio) really doesn't work w/ pulseaudio (but that should in my opinion be doable somehow) you still can give ALSA etc a try and switch back if you can't stand it!

Please report your progress here,I'm happy to here if my small project is usable at least for some people

AND UPDATE:
    I remember to have used the pavucontrol utility once, pls check this http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...g-a-microphone

UPDATE 2:
    I just want to note here that I accidentally changed my sound-backend this weekend to pulseaudio and also Skype had then displayed only the one item (PulseAudio Server (Local)) but by configuring the CIT200 Linksys device w/ pavucontrol (non-mute/non-disabled) it perfectly work w/ skype (and cit200xSkype). You just have to enable them (and maybe disable other audio devices). So there should be NO problem w/ pulseaudio in this regard.
    Last edited by pippo06; March 19th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567