Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: How to fstab

Beans

Re: How to fstab

pySDM has a number of issues. For example it has no idea what a UUID is and even has mounting options missing. It also lures the user to do goofy things - it's only a click away.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you change system settings without understanding what you are doing you are asking for problems, regardless of operating system or if it is from a graphical tool or the command line >
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

This guide looks very comprehensive. I think, bigawds, I can almost understand what it's all about. But I do have one problem.

The drive I'm trying to mount is on a computer who's IP address changes from time to time. Putting a random IP address in the fstab file doesn't seem like a permanent fix because of this.

Not too long ago, I had my partner join me in a multiplayer game. This required the computer's IP address, too. At that time, it was 192.168.2.4. But today, I check the IP address on it, and it's 192.168.2.2. As you can tell, if I set up the permanent fstab mount on the same day I was playing that game, it would be broken today, since the IP address is changed.

However, the network and computer names are both the same.

I tried using smb://networkname/computername/sharedfolder but the computer refused to mount that. It claims it is unable to resolve this or something. But somehow, when I click on "Network" the shared drive shows up just fine.

My purpose for mounting this drive is to make it look like a local drive for Ubuntu so I can use a scheduled rsync script to backup files off it. This is a beautiful, elegant, and even very simple solution, and one I had on the other computer before it died. It was simple, worked all the time, and seemed pretty fail-safe. But it took me months of searching to find out how it was done, and I failed to record the necessary files on the backups.

The solutions that require creating a virtual linux machine on the Windows computer are untenable at best, at least in part because the Windows computer exists primarily for computer games. Having a virtual machine, even an idle one, takes up far too many resources and creates far too many problems for gaming.

Please keep in mind I've also done what is apparently impossible on this Windows machine: I've disabled the Explorer shell. I understand this is impossible because whenever I report that "minimize to system tray" does not help me (because there is no system tray when there's no Explorer shell) most people tell me this is not possible.

So yes, this machine is optimized for performance, and is carefully operated to keep as many of it's now relatively meager resources free, and a virtual linux machine on it is not only undesirable, but strikes me as a bit of over-engineering and over-thinking the problem.

How do I get this machine's shared drive - a drive that contains mostly media files that I regularly add to - to mount as a local drive, in spite of it's changing IP address, so I barely have to touch the Ubuntu computer to get it to create two backups of the media drive every day using rsync?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Assign the machine a static ip. This can be done in your router on in configuration of your OS.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021