Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fstab

Beans

Re: How to fstab

thanks for the confirmation mssever. It's an internal drive, so I think we're in the clear. If I get ambitious I'll figure out the UUID and change it.
    Knowledge exists to be imparted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ericesque View Post
    If mtab has all currently mounted partitions, can I:
    auto-mount a partition
    copy the corresponding record from mtab to fstab

so that the partition will auto-mount at boot from now on?
    Yes but watch 2 things.

1. The last column in mtab is always "0". You may want this to be a "2".

2. You may need to add "auto" to the options if you wish to auto mount .
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the post really really great,

I have a silly question I hope you can help me with.
    I have added a line on fstab so to mount on boot an ext3 partition with my personal data.
    It all works fine, but I would like not to have the "15.7 GB Media" icon on the desktop, a bit like /home, I have it on a separate partition but I don't have the icon...I have seen someone else having a similar problem but I didn't understand what the solution is.
    Is it something I have to change with the settings on fstab, or is there anything you can suggest I should do with gconf?

Thanks in advance

M

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Personally I mount my partitions in /mnt

This keeps them off the desktop, regardless of window manager.

If you want them in your home, use a link

ln -s /mnt/dharma /home/user/dharma
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

BRILLIANT

it worked perfectly, no more icon on the desktop, tonight i will study a bit how the links work and create one.

Thanks

m

Beans

Hello, perhaps somebody here can help me.

My computer has a fat32 partition, I was worried about editing the fstab file directly so I used Pysdm and that seemed to cause more problems.

Now I keep editing Fstab basically every day and the changes keep reverting!, this is what Fstab says:

/dev/sda5 /media/sda5 vfat user,auto,rw 0 0

This is what "mount" says:

/dev/sda5 on /media/sda5 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

What am I doing wrong?, I want that partition to be fully useable by anyone and I can only edit or save files as root which does work randomly after editing Fstab and rebooting several times each day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toci View Post
    Hello, perhaps somebody here can help me.

My computer has a fat32 partition, I was worried about editing the fstab file directly so I used Pysdm and that seemed to cause more problems.

Now I keep editing Fstab basically every day and the changes keep reverting!, this is what Fstab says:

/dev/sda5 /media/sda5 vfat user,auto,rw 0 0

This is what "mount" says:

/dev/sda5 on /media/sda5 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

What am I doing wrong?, I want that partition to be fully useable by anyone and I can only edit or save files as root which does work randomly after editing Fstab and rebooting several times each day.
    Ownership and permissions are set at the time of mount. In your case, in fstab, you need to add uid=1000,gid=100,umask=000 to your options.

Or if you do not wish every file to be marked as executable, use dmask and fmask

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Ownership and permissions are set at the time of mount. In your case, in fstab, you need to add uid=1000,gid=100,umask=000 to your options.

Or if you do not wish every file to be marked as executable, use dmask and fmask
    Thank you very much, that did exactly what I wanted (sorry I didn't get it directly from the how-to), and eventually I'll change it to the non-executable version.
    Last edited by Toci; November 25th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toci View Post
    Thank you very much, that did exactly what I wanted (sorry I didn't get it directly from the how-to), and eventually I'll change it to the non-executable version.
    Glad it worked, fstab is obtuse at first, but then it kind of clicks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

bodhi

Remember me, I still have the Acer 3680, now running hardy (intrepid was too painful!)

Anwyay.

I've got a new job, and I've been asked to set up the new team server.

so on went Hardy 64 bit server edition.
    Samba shares and user logons are all sorted.

Just one last little project, that should be in your sphere as it involves mounting some extra disks in a certain place.

We have a number of 1 TB disks in the server (for backups and data) ~ once upon a time it was going to be a raid device but that went out the window when we realised that for the data we were generating we needed more disk space (its all genetic stuff in case you are wondering, huge text files of gene sequences and the related DBases for mining).

My Set up so far.

I have a "guest" user logon that is shared over the local network to the rest of the team for holding their data (samba shares all working fine)

So what the team (or rather my boss) would like is the following.

We have 4 internal 1TB disks (soon to become 8 or more!, and others on the network).

We want to have these 4 disks (and then the other at a later date) that are installed in the machine to appear as though they live as subsections of the "guest" area - I would like make it appear as if they were in fact sub folders.

I want to mount them directly into the samba share

here is some information from the system
    davem@BlackAdder:~$ mount
    /dev/mapper/BlackAdder-root on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
    varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/sde1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,relatime)
    securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    /dev/sdd1 on /media/Disk IV type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/Disk II type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/Disk III type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda1 on /media/Disk I type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    davem@BlackAdder:~$

davem@BlackAdder:~$ ls /dev/disk/by-uuid -lah
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 180 2008-12-04 17:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 2008-12-04 17:56 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2008-12-04 17:57 0588aecb-553d-441d-aa7a-5a7a52069604 -> ../../mapper/BlackAdder-root
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 5E32A17932A156B5 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 8472B29172B28806 -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:57 8cf5762b-955b-450d-9138-be78f55ca490 -> ../../sde1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 AE82CEC082CE8BF1 -> ../../sdd1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 2008-12-04 17:57 ca718353-2185-4a77-af14-c243e3eb1346 -> ../../mapper/BlackAdder-swap_1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 FE8EBC8F8EBC41C7 -> ../../sdc1

davem@BlackAdder:~$ ls /dev/disk/by-label -lah
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 2008-12-04 17:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 2008-12-04 17:56 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 Disk\x20I -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 Disk\x20II -> ../../sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 Disk\x20III -> ../../sdc1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-04 17:56 Disk\x20IV -> ../../sdd1
    the last section <by-label> is the most interesting, as I want to follow your advice and set the disks into the fstab by the label id.

Currently the fstab file had no details of these disks, but they mount automatically and appear in the mtab file with the following details

/dev/sde1 /media/Disk\040IV fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /media/Disk\040I fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    /dev/sdc1 /media/Disk\040II fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    /dev/sdd1 /media/Disk\040III fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
    I noticed that when I <unmount> the devices this detail dissapears.

So I unmount them then add the following lines into the fstab

label=Disk I /home/guest/TB1 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    label=Disk II /home/guest/TB2 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    label=Disk III /home/guest/TB3 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    label=Disk IV /home/guest/TB4 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    when I attempt to re mount them however the mtab file still shows the same details?

I've also re-booted the system but it makes no different. I assume that there is another file that the system is looking at for the mount points of the disks, but I'm not sure where it lives, or what it is.

Unless of course this is working fine but I just don't see it doing so, when I sit in front of the pc I see 4 disks on the desktop. when I check the /home/guest/TB1 (or the others) folders the size of the folder is reported as being only 60GB in size (which would fit with the size of the /home.. partition.

If this doesn't work I guess I can simply add "links" to the files and then share the disks also, but that doesn't feel like an elegant solution, or is what I am trying to do not possible??

I've just checked something, when I check the disk properties the dialog says that the disk location is "on the desktop", and confirms the mount point a /media/sda1 etc...

I've also noticed something funny about the result of the ntfslabel command says the disk are called Disk I, Disk II etc...

However in the <by-label> stuff above is says they are called Disk\x20I, Disk\x20II etc...

Hmmm...

I'm going to change my fstab to see if it makes a difference....

Edit

YIPEEEE - it works.... but I needed to mount manually??

now to get it to happen on a boot up....
    Last edited by theDaveTheRave; December 4th, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: It Works
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast