Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Yes and no. I went through the setup and compile again and checked some packages in the requirement list. There were a couple in that list that had broken dependencies on my machine. This is mostly due to a couple edgy updates that have broken several packages. So I successfully got those installed and the depends fixed.

I did the compile with no detected errors. In fact it seemed to go smooth the whole way. It was only at the point where I tried to run winecfg or wine itself that I got the Segmentation Fault. I'm not really sure what is causing this or what the memory problem is. The only thing I can figure is that you are running Dapper and the libraries at that version work right for this compile. I am thinking that Edgy has one or more of those libraries at different versions and that it breaks because of that.

I can't really nuke the OS until Thanksgiving (US) holiday or maybe even the beginning of Christmas holidays for me.

I hadn't ever intended on returning to Dapper because there are so many cool things about Edgy, but if I can run GW in Dapper but not Edgy then I will revert.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, I may have just gotten lucky that GW worked for me. So it may not be worth it, you may do it and it may just not end up working anyway.

Beans

Im getting stuck at the patch part

nimitz@nimitz-desktop:~/winestuff$ patch <~/winestuff/32mouse.patch
    can't find file to patch at input line 8
    Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |Index: dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c
    |================================================= ==================
    |RCS file: /home/wine/wine/dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c,v
    |retrieving revision 1.1
    |diff -u -r1.1 mouse.c
    |--- dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c 16 Jun 2006 13:19:17 -0000 1.1
    |+++ dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c 24 Jun 2006 21:07:54 -0000
    --------------------------
    File to patch:

what do i do at this point?

Beans

yeah never mind i got my freind to do it and its working great thx.

Beans

i cant get the wine desktop to acutally display guild wars...it just shows the mouse and a blue horizon....any suggestions???

Beans

ok i basicly fixed everything, i can log on and all that but all the words are screwed up...1 problem leads to another....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarn View Post
    Well, I may have just gotten lucky that GW worked for me. So it may not be worth it, you may do it and it may just not end up working anyway.
    There may be more.

First of all: thank you for your guide. If I had still run Dapper, things would possibly have worked and that would have been a major step forward.

I run edgy now and since some libs were updated, Wine gives me segmentation faults galore. Reading the forums, this problem is common to all wine versions an dnot just the patched ones. It is probably an edgy issue (no pun intended).

There seems to be a new version of wine, but there is no edgy repo yet for edgy, so I will be patient some more then.

Beans

Anyone tried the 32 bit mouse cursor patch on Wine 0.9.24 source yet to see if it still works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Will applying this WINE patch stop World of Warcraft from running on it's patched wine 9.21 or the other way around?
    Linux Knowledge >> << My Head

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by chadk View Post
    Will applying this WINE patch stop World of Warcraft from running on it's patched wine 9.21 or the other way around?
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking. If you are asking if you compile and install Wine 0.9.24 if that will interfere with earlier versions then the answer is yes.

The patches mentioned in the thread are mouse functionality patches and are applied at the time you compile Wine. Wine version 0.9.24 isn't actually a patch but an entire version update.

If there is a method to install two different versions concurrently (outside of a virtual machine of some type) I'm not aware of it. There very well could be. Maybe someone with more experience can answer that detail.

Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast