Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering this laptop (Acer Aspire 5100-3583). . .

Beans

Considering this laptop (Acer Aspire 5100-3583). . .

I want something I can take around with me to show off ubuntu to some of my friends. I am considering getting this one (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Speci...ation.do#tabs) becuase it is inexpensive. However, I've never had an acer or a turion before. My understanding so far is I am better off installing the regular kernal for right now. Is this correct? Also, how difficult do you think it will be to get wireless working? Any other issues I should be aware of?

I really don't need it to do much more than look good, run open office and firefox, and play dvds.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Considering this laptop (Acer Aspire 5100-3583). . .

I got an Acer tablet that worked just fine with Dapper. Mine is a Centrino however. I can tell you that ACPI will work just fine but you have to know what wireless the Turion version uses. I would suggest a Core Duo/Centrino instead of a Turion they are generally better with battery and you are guaranteed that wireless will work. If you don't care much about graphics power you will be better off with an Intel one as it has open drivers. ATI you will have to research, nVidia will most definetly work but they don't support GPU throttling on Linux so battery life will be worse.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you do, you have plenty of RAM for any distro. You may want to go with a 32-bit distro, which seems to be more compatible with installation and updating. The 64-bits don't give you that much more usability. Maybe this will improve with "Edgy Eft".

Beans

I would rather go for a HP-notebook. They are priced quite the same.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

Thank you for the responses. I can't seem to find the specs for the wireless on the acer anywhere. They have a Toshiba for about $200.00 more with a Core Duo and Intel graphics. Sounds like that may be better if the wireless will work for sure. I really liked the thought of getting a 600.00 laptop though.

Beans

Hmh.. pay more and get you a better notebook.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

True... I just don't need a new one so much as just want one to play with and show off ubuntu. Anyone have any experience with Toshiba? Are they o.k. usually? This is the one I am looking at. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Speci...cation.do#tabs

I appreciate the help. I want to go buy one before they close, so I can spend the evening setting it up to show off tomorrow!

Beans

I do only know German stores.. they have a good ThinkPad for about 900, but I do not know prices in your shop.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I have experience with Toshiba, worst possible laptop ever. If it wasn't for the 3 year on site warranty I wouldn't be able to use it for more than 3 months. That system was repaired (under warranty mind you) on average 3-4 times a year. Worked great with Ubuntu though.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

A friend of mine has a toshiba.. good notebook but it lacks quality.
    simplicity is perfection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast