Thread: HOW TO: Make "Smart Folders"

Beans

HOW TO: Make "Smart Folders"

Smart Folders automatically search for a term and display its results, great for your music collection.
    I always liked the smart folder feature on iTunes and I noticed OS X Tiger added this feature to the entire OS so I decided to try to add this feature to GNOME and this is what I have come up with so far.
    Open GEDIT and enter...
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Exec=gnome-search-tool --named=<**search term**> --start
    TryExec=
    Icon=
    X-GNOME-DocPath=
    Terminal=false
    Name[en]=faithless
    GenericName[en]=
    Comment[en]=
    then save it as *.desktop (replace * with whatever you want) and place it on your desk top. Their you have it just double click on it and it will automatically search for the term and display it. Your serach term can be part of a file name or a filetype can be entered using *.filetype (i.e. --named=*.mp3)

There may be a better way to do this but I'm not aware of it yet, it would be cool to see something like this fully developed into GNOME.

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Make "Smart Folders"

Interesting, little bit easier than firing up a terminal and using the find command.
    [ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Can you explain to me what these SMART folders do? Since trying this script i figure i might as well just use gnome search. I will be interested to see how this works but as it stands it has no use for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I wish it were that simple. If we could somehow integrate the folders with a tracker search that actually looks inside the files, this would be so much more useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Doesn't Gnome-Do do this? It has a plugin to search through your files and folders, just by typing the name of it.... or am I missing something?

EDIT: Crap! This thing is 4 years old! *sigh* Resurrecting the dead is a full time job, lol.
    Last edited by kidux; March 19th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.