Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

I partition my basic disk through the Partition Assistant, and I think this is the good software, not only has many features about hard drive partition, but also worked well , it has free edition, we can choose to experience its superiority in advance. And maybe you will have the same feeling if you use it, so, here, I introduce you a detail article about partition resize, create, format, and delete-- Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition. Go and read it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hello2012 View Post
    I partition my basic disk through the Partition Assistant, and I think this is the good software, not only has many features about hard drive partition, but also worked well , it has free edition, we can choose to experience its superiority in advance. And maybe you will have the same feeling if you use it, so, here, I introduce you a detail article about partition resize, create, format, and delete-- Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition. Go and read it.
    Thanks for the link, but that is a windows application. Personally I do not use windows, perhaps it will help others. consider posting on a windows forum.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Excellent tutorial Bodhi.Zazen. Very much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Excellent tutorial Bodhi.Zazen. Very much appreciated.
    Glad it helped =)
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Lightbulb Ubuntu Linux HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Thank you! Very useful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do I necessarily have to run gparted from liveCD? Can't I simply run it from within the system?
    I deleted my Vista partition, so now I'd like to dedicate the space I thus free-up to my /home location, which contains a 12 GB vmware folder with a WinXP beast caged in it. Besides, I use a lot of disk space for my mail and documents, so I would like to ask an advice from experienced users on how to redistribute the space aiming the productivity increase and increase of /home folder.
    My current situation is as following (disk space figures are in GBs):

/dev/sda1 ext4 58,6 1,10 (former VISTA)
    /dev/sda2 extended 164,96
    /dev/sda5 linux-swap 1,86
    /dev/sda8 ext4 / 23,29 6,58
    /dev/sda9 ext4 /home 23,28 20,86
    /dev/sda6 ntfs /media/DATA 38,84 29,10
    /dev/sda7 ntfs /media/MV 77,69 57,36
    /dev/sda3 ntfs 9,32 6,56 (HP recovery partition)

Can I simply move my /home content from /dev/sda9 to /dev/sda1? Will my system boot up then? Can I shrink the current root partition to, let's say, 12 GB? Is safe restart guaranteed in that case?

Thus and so, please advise what should I do before I mess up my beloved Ubuntu.
    Last edited by xyepblra; December 28th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

Beans

bodhi.zazen,
    GREAT HOWTO:.........THANKS......

I have a small question that may be appropriate to add to the end
    of the HOWTO: to help us in the near future..............

If I've been running my system and suddenly I suspect there may be a problem
    with a specific partition,... How do I Test and Verify that the partition is good?
    Are there other tests that can be run on the Partition other than fsck & e2fsck?
    Under what circumstance do I use fsck vs e2fsck? Maybe a few CLI samples would
    be appropriate as I've not run across those yet either. How often should I run
    fsck on my partition, or should I even attempt it?

THANKS.

lk

Beans

Needless to say that this is a great guide for a neophyte, as I am. my dilemma is that I need to use Windows (xp or 7) and want to grow my knowledge and dexterity of Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, hence I want to be able to dual boot. The challenge is doing this in a Dell Inspiron 910 Netbook with 16 GB HD. How do I best devi-up the drive? Please can you provide some suggestions.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto S Cabrera View Post
    Needless to say that this is a great guide for a neophyte, as I am. my dilemma is that I need to use Windows (xp or 7) and want to grow my knowledge and dexterity of Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, hence I want to be able to dual boot. The challenge is doing this in a Dell Inspiron 910 Netbook with 16 GB HD. How do I best devi-up the drive? Please can you provide some suggestions.
    I didn't even think Windows 7 could be installed on such a small drive. How much free space do you have? You will need at least 5 gb for Ubuntu, so that drive may just be too small.

If you have at least 5 gb of free space, then just go with the default side-by-side install.

Beans

To address your inquiery - I'll be installing a "Light" Windows 7 w/ the help of vLite & WAIK. However, I do not know what you mean with "default side-by-side install", would you please explain or point me in the direction to read about it.

Thank you!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast