Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas1 View Post
    i have once heard that performance may depend on the position of the partition on the harddrive, someone told me this was the reason why the swap partition is positioned at the end, elsewhere i read that the partitions at the beginnig are faster.

is there something to this?
    yes , it has to do with the mechanics of the hard drive and how far the heads have to move.

The reality with new computer is that you are very unlikely to notice any appreciable increase in speed on day to day applications and you need to run benchmarks to detect the difference in speed.

Benchmarks are, for example, how much time does it take to fist make 10,000 1 Kb files and then delete them ? The activities performed on benchmarks are designed to test the I/O to disk and are not what "normal" people do on a desktop (desktop users say open 10 applications and run copmiz).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: HowTo: Partitioning Basics

Great guide but maybe too much to chew for some ultra-novices. I'm already familiar enough with the concepts so this help clear things up for my microsoftened brain.
    Last edited by choben; June 28th, 2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: working from eeebuntu live DVD and preparing to install

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    (If you boot more then 1 distro you should share the swap partition)
    I was asked this the other day. How do you set windows to use a swapfile in another partition, and how should the partition be formatted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by hissyfut View Post
    I was asked this the other day. How do you set windows to use a swapfile in another partition, and how should the partition be formatted?
    I thought that only meant that Linux distros should use the same swap partition.

You can set Windows swap file from the control panel. In XP, that's Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory. There you can set the size and partition of the paging file.

Anyway, thanks for the nice guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sepanderi View Post
    I thought that only meant that Linux distros should use the same swap partition.

You can set Windows swap file from the control panel. In XP, that's Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory. There you can set the size and partition of the paging file.

Anyway, thanks for the nice guide.
    If you want Windows to use your Linux swap partition as it's paging file you can follow this neat little guide.

Beans

Hi,

Sorry to ask question like this.

I accidentally delete an xfs partition using gparted. Is there a way to "restore" it back?

The mistake happened because I was adding another USB external HD and thought the disk and partition was the one added (since the deleted one is also a USB external disk).

sort of like USB bus swapped /dev/sdd and /dev/sdc after a reboot and that caused the confusion.

Can anyone make some sensible suggestions?

Thanks.

Have a great weekend,

Vincent Lin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I must ask if you have any backups. If you don't have a backup, then sorry, nothing I can do to help.
    Spoiler: Highlight to read
    Congratulations, you have found the secret message! It contains absolutely nothing useful!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you know the exact geometry you can use fdisk.

If you do not know what fdisk is, go for testdisk (it is in the repositories)

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eherman546/p21.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Thanks guys.

I apt-get testdisk and it brought in photorec as well.

I ran photorec first, hoping to retrieve files. Well it did, as the ducuments said, but those restored files were renamed. Well, there are also ways to "process" these restored files back to "usable" states, as documented in this link:

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise...our-hard-drive

Before I jumped in and spend time organizing those restored files, I went ahead to run testdisk, as I was equipped with the contents of those restored files. The worst then was already planned.

The result was a total surprise - the partition (xfs) was restored perfectly by testdisk - as if the partition was not removed at all. Got to find some time to delete those restored files

I am impressed. And I am also very grateful.

Thanks guys.

Have a nice weekend,

Vincent

Beans

thank you for howto, a couple of questions though:

* if ntfs volume defrags with a hole in the middle, can gparted still shrink almost all of the unused space?

I'd like to install partly to a 2nd HD, and partly to USB drive. (I already have an 8.04 install on the USB as ext3, but can't use it with desired computer due to bios that can't boot usb)

I'd like to put home, swap and tmp on USB drive, and rest on internal in order to minimize space on HD.

*Could such a system boot without the usb plugged in?
    *Can all /home /tmp /data mount points use the same USB partition?
    *Can HD use ext4 while USB ext3?
    *Would you suggest more to be offloaded to USB?
    *Can a wubi install use ext3 partitions for certain mount points?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast