Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Beans

Re: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Puppy is awesome - I have been running it for awhile now. It's also VERY easy to make your own version of Puppy with most of your favourite apps on a LiveCD or USB stick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can only agree - Puppy is a class little distro. It has everything you need in 90 MB, and it is incredibly responsive. The 2.15 Community Edition is also very beautiful out of the box, using IceWM as default rather than JWM.

The only issue I have had with a full hard-disk install (not *officially* recommended, but anyway) is that x fails to start occasionally when you are using the Xorg drivers. However a simple "xwin" command solves this. Also the xorgwizard in 2.15 had a bug where it tried to set up dual monitors even if you only had one, does anyone know if this has been fixed in the newer releases?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darksong View Post
    Only if a puppy version had a good looking interface built for it, that way i would use it on this machine =(
    Tmxxine (based on Puppy) looks better than Vista. LighthousePup looks okay too.

Beans

This is kicking so much butt. I never knew this old computer could run this good. I'm glad I discovered it.
    Acer Aspire 3680, Intel Celeron M, 1.41 GB RAM
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I win.

Puppy runs on my old Pentium 133MHz with 32MB ram, dual booting with win98 (not even SE) on a 2 GB hard drive. I created a 128 MB swap partition for Puppy to use using a text-only distro called HAL91, and then Puppy boots and runs pretty quick on that old clunker.

I can't really run sea-monkey, its just way too slow --- Dillo is the preferred way to go!!!! If only someone would make an i18n version of dillo...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Smile Re: Puppy Linux: AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_risi View Post
    All I can say is wow. I've been running Puppy on the eMachine below for 2 days now, and it's the most functional desktop environment for low-end PC's I've ever seen.. in fact, I turned off my laptop running Ubuntu hours ago, and I haven't even wanted to use it for a while! It's PERFECT for low end, extremely fast and very easy to install. I recommend you guys give it a shot, the iso is only 70 megs!

I like Puppy too but will stick with U because I don't have to know as much to get good results. Running Puppy in RAM is the really top notch feature, not so much the size or upon which distro it's based.

I found that I do not like saving to a DVD because each of those saves stack up and must be loaded separately each time you boot and you can't delete old saves to save room. I wish each could simply update and replace the former but they do not.

So, not being a 0/1 nerd, I'll stick with U. It's fast enuf for me and hey, I finally got my printer and scanner working. All there is left to fix is sound but what the hell, I'm nearly deaf anyway. Two outta three aint bad. I'm not even tempted to go back to M$. No way Jose!

I keep my Pup on one of those little plug in thingies in my car so if I ever need Linux while away but at home it's U all the way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by goatflyer View Post
    I win.

Puppy runs on my old Pentium 133MHz with 32MB ram, dual booting with win98 (not even SE) on a 2 GB hard drive. I created a 128 MB swap partition for Puppy to use using a text-only distro called HAL91, and then Puppy boots and runs pretty quick on that old clunker.

I can't really run sea-monkey, its just way too slow --- Dillo is the preferred way to go!!!! If only someone would make an i18n version of dillo...
    Try Opera.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans

i too like Puppy Linux but today i was a little shocked to find an XFCE'd Debian Etch worked better than Puppy with my laptop.

I was searching through the BIOS and found i had "on battery" condition set to performance (450MHZ). I've set that to slow (122MHZ) and Debian Etch works very well all things considering. I'm struggling to figure out why this is as my CPU doesn't allow scaling so Debian can't be forcing it to run faster (Conky backs this up). I am puzzled.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I gave it a try last night. It is really trim. And FAST. I'm impressed.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans

ive tryed it out and really it is...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast