Page 941 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951991104114411941 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,410 of 23480

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomera View Post
    Are you sure? I think all software measure in MiB (binary base), the problem is the hardware vendors, like CD, or hard disk
    The problem is that the new IEC 60027 "standard" using kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi, pebi, exbi, zebi, zebi and yobi were only invented to satisfy the hardware vendors that want to look like they're selling bigger drives than they are. kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, exa, zetta and yotta worked just fine using binary. There was no REAL reason for that to change.

Drive manufacturers got tired of hearing how their 40 gigabyte drives were really 37.24 gigabytes and their 320 gigabyte drives were only 297.92 gigabytes.

A new standard wasn't needed. A gigabyte is 1024 megabytes. A megabyte is 1024 kilobytes. A kilobyte is 1024 bytes. That will be true until a bit can contain more than a 0 or a 1.

Beans

I think you have a mistake, the IEC 60027 define that units so:

1 KiB= 2^8 = 1024 bytes (Ki from kilo informatic)

1 KB = 10^3 = 1000 bytes

Always it use kilo in Computer_Science as 1024 bytes, but for a person kilo is always 1000 (kilometer, kilogram...), so thats was a problem.

That standard doesnt satisfy the hardware vendors, otherwise it clarify that, defining the computer sciences magnitudes

kiB is always binary base
    KB can be binary or decimal base (in computer science)

Finally, i think all software use binary base to measure memory, but same use KB (k3b) and others like nautilus are beginning to use the IEC 60027 standard recommendations
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgomera View Post
    I think you have a mistake, the IEC 60027 define that units so:

1 KiB= 2^8 = 1024 bytes (Ki from kilo informatic)

1 KB = 10^3 = 1000 bytes

Always it use kilo in Computer_Science as 1024 bytes, but for a person kilo is always 1000 (kilometer, kilogram...), so thats was a problem.

That standard doesnt satisfy the hardware vendors, otherwise it clarify that, defining the computer sciences magnitudes

kiB is always binary base
    KB can be binary or decimal base (in computer science)

Finally, i think all software use binary base to measure memory, but same use KB (k3b) and others like nautilus are beginning to use the IEC 60027 standard recommendations
    I do know how the new system works, I just don't think it was needed. People who didn't understand binary have invented the new identifier for binary.
    I don't acknowledge KiB because the i=imaginary.

Maybe it's because I'm 35 and that's positively ancient in the technological world.

Beans
    Hidden!

Closer to back on topic:

I am running conky 1.7.1.1 and I'm going to try compiling 1.7.2
    I've compiled a couple programs before. Is there a way to list what all the default settings are for ./configure? ./configure --help isn't as helpful as I would hope.

Code:
      --disable-own-window    disable if you do not want support for creating own
                              window [default=yes]
    Does that mean that it does or does not compile support for own window?
    That suggests to me that it does not compile support for own window as it sounds like "Yes, we don't do that"
    Last edited by mobilediesel; September 29th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    Closer to back on topic:

I am running conky 1.7.1.1 and I'm going to try compiling 1.7.2
    I've compiled a couple programs before. Is there a way to list what all the default settings are for ./configure? ./configure --help isn't as helpful as I would hope.

Code:
      --disable-own-window    disable if you do not want support for creating own
                              window [default=yes]
    Does that mean that it does or does not compile support for own window?
    That suggests to me that it does not compile support for own window as it sounds like "Yes, we don't do that"
    I believe that own window support is enabled by default.

A general question:

@Those of you who wanted to be able to use a max value on my rings.lua script...What specific things were you wanting to do with it. Because most of the Conky variables have an analogous percent output variable, so you wouldn't need a max. Then there are a few like upspeed and downspeed where you could hard-code the max. If you're talking things like the output for song progress from ConkyRhythmbox or something, it's a bit tougher...
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Post you're .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by londonali1010 View Post

A general question:

@Those of you who wanted to be able to use a max value on my rings.lua script...What specific things were you wanting to do with it. Because most of the Conky variables have an analogous percent output variable, so you wouldn't need a max. Then there are a few like upspeed and downspeed where you could hard-code the max. If you're talking things like the output for song progress from ConkyRhythmbox or something, it's a bit tougher...
    definatly upspeed / downspeed. diskio? cant think of any more off the top of my head. Might need to stew on it a bit.
    Registered Ubuntu User #29430

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by londonali1010 View Post
    Thank you! So really:
    [default=yes] should be [default=enabled]
    and
    [default=no] should be [default=disabled]
    For people like me who hate it when someone says "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less"

I'll have to send an email to the Conky developers about that. I'm just picky!

Now when I configure I get
    Code:
    configure: error: tolua++ or tolua++5.1 is required for Lua extras.
    So I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install tolua++
    and it installed
    Code:
    liblua40 liblua40-dev liblualib40 libtolua-dev libtolua0
    and it still gives me
    Code:
    configure: error: tolua++ or tolua++5.1 is required for Lua extras.
    That looks like the only thing keeping me from getting 1.7.2 compiled. Is that something that's not supported by Hardy?
    Last edited by mobilediesel; September 29th, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: configure: error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    Thank you! So really:
    [default=yes] should be [default=enabled]
    and
    [default=no] should be [default=disabled]
    For people like me who hate it when someone says "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less"

I'll have to send an email to the Conky developers about that. I'm just picky!
    Yeah, do that...It confused me too! That's why I just went for the deb!!!

Also, @everyone: I released another version of my rings.lua script, with a "max" variable and an "angle" variable (although I'm not really sure what you can use the max for yet, but it's there!!!). You can get it at Conky Hardcore!
    - Samsung R519 Silver - Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 -
    - The Official Conky Blog - Follow conkynews on Twitter -
    - My Launchpad PPA -
    - My blog: My Little Desktop -

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sarai the Geek View Post
    It could be an issue with a voffset somewhere doing something unexpected. I shall play around with it and see what I uncover. In the meantime, if you're not using the latest version of conky, update! Sometimes that fixes things.

[EDIT: Works fine for me, but I didn't test scripts which means that as long as you're sure you don't have a bunch of spaces at the bottom, the problem is probably one of those scripts. I recommend Kaivalagi's python scripts, they are primo.]
    Thanks Sarai the Geek your answer is really appreciated!
    It seem to be caused by the weather script, but I didn't find exactly what is causing this?

By the way I already used the script that you linked.

Page 941 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 441841891931939940941942943951991104114411941 ... LastLast