Page 2022 of 2274 FirstFirst ... 1022152219221972201220202021202220232024203220722122 ... LastLast
Results 20,211 to 20,220 of 22732

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by davesbrain View Post
    Looking good mrpeachy. I'm diggin' the modular look.
    thanks davesbrain!
    actually, the modular format and bordered/textured background look came from a fellow conky enthusiast in another place

Beans

Yeah... Thus enters the only remaining dilemma behind Conky these days. If it can be done, it's been done to death already.

This is, by far, the greatest limitation Conky is putting on the rest of us. Since it really is just a formatted text display program, there are a finite number of ways to do a layout that makes any sense. The common Right-Side-Column, the Individualised Sections, The Lua-Heavy Workaround, or the Sector11 Special (So named for the Multiple Conky Programs running in every corner of a desktop. A speciality that Sector11 excels at better than anyone else I've ever met.) they've all been done to death.

You can change some colours, or position something at the top that was once at the bottom, sure. What matters is that it works for your needs/desires. Unfortunately, it also means we're all kind of bored and hoping someone comes up with something new to, for lack of a better term, feed our addiction for design and layout.

Sorry... Just... reminiscing about the topic...

Beans
    Hidden!

i think there is life in conky yet (or at least conky/lua)
    there are a couple of things in my new conky that i havnt seen before in other conkies... mechanics wise if not design wise

and i plan on making the weather section clickable/interactive
    one button gives you current conditions, another button switches the view to forecast

interactive conky in general has only just begun.... who know if this will eventually be built into conky 2.0 or beyond

just look here to see whats been done already
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKu7g...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by mrpeachy; July 19th, 2012 at 05:55 AM.

Beans

That is certainly awesome. But, I would point out, that's a LUA workaround. And we've seen Conky setups with LUA doing amazing things for quite some time now. It's not really Conky doing that, Conky just loaded a script that you wrote that does all that.

And, I would also point out, that a lot of the LUA Workarounds we've seen are, more often than not, YOURS. You and dk75 have contributed tons to the LUA Scripting and the use of "Stuff That Can Be Used To Fill The Gaps Conky Leaves Behind" and all of that is awesome.

But... When it comes right down to it... CONKY doesn't do any of this. We've kind of run our course for the limits of the program itself, and resorted to dumping in anything we can get our mitts on to go any further. It's kind of like you're saying the future of Conky is in abandoning it for all the stuff it doesn't come with.

Of course, I'm saying this not as a complaint, but rather an admission of reality. Conky Itself, outputting data on screen, is really all the program does. We've pushed out and got to every nook and cranny, and now have to step over it's beaten corpse to go any further. It's... kinda frustrating. Even though your scripts are going toward being interactive, they're still a Weather script, or a LUA Graphics script, or such like that. New ways of doing the same things. It's hard to get excited over that. I still enjoy your scripts, mrpeachy. Just, I feel more like the bored art teacher I used to have, rather than a real Conky Aficionado.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    That is certainly awesome. But, I would point out, that's a LUA workaround. And we've seen Conky setups with LUA doing amazing things for quite some time now.[...]
    Quick thought... only have a minute here.

I haven't checked into it for a while, but if I'm not mistaken, the Conky 2.x .conkyrc scripts themselves are written (or capable of being written) in Lua. I *think* they just got so far ahead of the curve, it freaked everyone out, and the project stagnated.

Let's face it, Conky 1.x is a krudge. It's just a cobbled together mess, that somehow magically works with enough tweaking.

Anyway, I think Conky 2.x will be the second coming, if they every get it off the ground.

Gotta run. BBL
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Quick thought... only have a minute here.

I haven't checked into it for a while, but if I'm not mistaken, the Conky 2.x .conkyrc scripts themselves are written (or capable of being written) in Lua. I *think* they just got so far ahead of the curve, it freaked everyone out, and the project stagnated.

Let's face it, Conky 1.x is a krudge. It's just a cobbled together mess, that somehow magically works with enough tweaking.

Anyway, I think Conky 2.x will be the second coming, if they every get it off the ground.

Gotta run. BBL
    I think that's what the Lua Config branch is supposed to be.
    It has seen some development lately but I am only guessing what it is by its name since I have never seen any official comment on it.
    Building Conky | iCalendar Conky | Weather Script | Background List
    Intel Core i7-2600K - 3.40GHz | Asus P8Z68-V LE | 8GB RAM - 1866 MHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davesbrain View Post
    Couple quick questions:
    How can I make a line (${hr 2}) stop at a specific point?
    and
    How can I align something to the right, but not all the way to the right?
    ${hr} no stop. mrpeachy right: ${cpubar cpu0 1,xxx} draw nice line xxx pixels

Code:
    text text ${cpubar cpu0 1,xxx} text text
    ${goto xx} ${cpubar cpu0 1,xxx}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    That is certainly awesome. But, I would point out, that's a LUA workaround. And we've seen Conky setups with LUA doing amazing things for quite some time now. It's not really Conky doing that, Conky just loaded a script that you wrote that does all that.

And, I would also point out, that a lot of the LUA Workarounds we've seen are, more often than not, YOURS. You and dk75 have contributed tons to the LUA Scripting and the use of "Stuff That Can Be Used To Fill The Gaps Conky Leaves Behind" and all of that is awesome.

But... When it comes right down to it... CONKY doesn't do any of this. We've kind of run our course for the limits of the program itself, and resorted to dumping in anything we can get our mitts on to go any further. It's kind of like you're saying the future of Conky is in abandoning it for all the stuff it doesn't come with.

Of course, I'm saying this not as a complaint, but rather an admission of reality. Conky Itself, outputting data on screen, is really all the program does. We've pushed out and got to every nook and cranny, and now have to step over it's beaten corpse to go any further. It's... kinda frustrating. Even though your scripts are going toward being interactive, they're still a Weather script, or a LUA Graphics script, or such like that. New ways of doing the same things. It's hard to get excited over that. I still enjoy your scripts, mrpeachy. Just, I feel more like the bored art teacher I used to have, rather than a real Conky Aficionado.
    Isn't that kind of like complaining that Linux is just a kernel and all the good stuff comes from outside-- mostly GNU stuff?

What is the problem with that? Can you do this kind of thing in Windows? Have you tried modifying the conky code itself? Perhaps you can integrate Lua into conky...

At any rate, I briefly wondered about interactive features with conky, and I am happy to hear it can be done... I would love to be able to click on the weather forecast and change locations.

I see other possibilities; not yet fully-formed thoughts, but hints of things probably better left undone.

Beans
    Hidden!

^ i agree
    i think it is wrong to separate out user made scripts as "workarounds"
    it's no accident that when you run conky -v you get this at the end:
    Code:

* Lua

Lua bindings:
       * Cairo
       * Imlib2
    as well as an ever growing number of lua related settings and objects

running user made scripts through conky is just as much "conky" as using the built in objects.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
    I see other possibilities; not yet fully-formed thoughts, but hints of things probably better left undone.
    so what are these ideas?

how about drawing in the conky window...
    http://youtu.be/CMj3qD2vTyA

or conky that you can move about without editing any files...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVqxYhvBuQ
    Last edited by mrpeachy; July 19th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Page 2022 of 2274 FirstFirst ... 1022152219221972201220202021202220232024203220722122 ... LastLast