Page 1996 of 2311 FirstFirst ... 996149618961946198619941995199619971998200620462096 ... LastLast
Results 19,951 to 19,960 of 23104

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Thank you. I thought you were serious. My bad. No feelings. I just want to learn how this works and it's pi**ing me off pretty seriously that I cannot figure it out myself.
    Meh. It does that to all of us from time to time. Just take a few deep breaths. Has anyone given you these yet? The reference links? Maybe it'll speed up your "figure it out myself" process?

Conky Configuration Variables (Above the TEXT section.)

Conky Objects (Below the TEXT section.)

Conky Pitstop (Source for how-to-use scripts.)

Those are Conky directly. Should probably at least get the basics out of the way. There's always more to it.

I do have a HOWTO in my sig for doing VinDSL's Conky. I'm not fond of the layout myself, but it does contain a lot of data on setting things up, aligning things, and getting up to speed. IF you have the patience to read through a lot of text.

Whether it frustrates you or not, we're okay with teaching you. You can't be expected to know everything without first being taught it. Conky is just a layout program, it's not it's own language. It just displays what you tell it to. It doesn't behave like C or Java or LUA, so if your experience is with Languages or Syntax or just generally navigating Linux, Conky still throws you a few times before you really settle into it. It looks like a standard Linux config file, has objects with syntax parameters like a language, and behaves like Microsoft Publisher or the old Corel Wordperfect documents. You just gotta get used to it, that's all.

*EDIT*

Your .conkyrc file gives me a bit of a headache, but I can definitely start with:

Code:
    own_window_class bartos
    should really be, if anything,

Code:
    own_window_class Conky
    I'm pretty sure you were telling Conky a value for that class that didn't exist. I could be wrong here.

Also, this is usually a good idea:

Code:
    background yes
    It saves some processor power, or something like that. It has nothing to do with the desktop image or anything like that.

Code:
    text_buffer_size 256
    Should really be something more like:

Code:
    text_buffer_size 4096
    It just gives you some more "Playing" room.

There are several others, but... It'll take forever to track them all. This one's a team effort.
    Last edited by 42dorian; May 31st, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Beans

^ @CavsFan

For starters you have:

Code:
    Conky: invalid configuration file '/home/cavsfan/.conkyrc.bartos'
    so you are trying to start /home/cavsfan/.conkyrc.bartos, but you posted the code and called it:

Code:
    /home/cavsfan/.conky.bartos:
    so your file names aren't matching up. Is the typo in your forum post or are you actually calling the wrong file name, and possibly some incorrect path information as well?

If you try to start a conkyrc file that doesn't exist, conky will fall back to the default /etc/conky.conf file (the one with the black background); if you deleted the /etc/conky.conf, and then tried to call a conkyrc that doesn't exist, there will be no output for that instance of conky.

EDIT: I did a quick copy and paste of your posted .conky.bartos and it worked after some simple modifications (I have fewer cpu's and I didn't use the test.lua)
    Last edited by landwell; June 1st, 2012 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by landwell View Post
    ^ @CavsFan

For starters you have:

Code:
    so you are trying to start /home/cavsfan/.conkyrc.bartos, but you posted the code and called it:

Code:
    so your file names aren't matching up. Is the typo in your forum post or are you actually calling the wrong file name, and possibly some incorrect path information as well?

If you try to start a conkyrc file that doesn't exist, conky will fall back to the default /etc/conky.conf file (the one with the black background); if you deleted the /etc/conky.conf, and then tried to call a conkyrc that doesn't exist, there will be no output for that instance of conky.

EDIT: I did a quick copy and paste of your posted .conky.bartos and it worked after some simple modifications (I have fewer cpu's and I didn't use the test.lua)
    Thank you landwell. I missed that one. I'm a little tired today, I'm glad you caught that bit. My head was kinda spinning a while there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hello again! I need a little help with my v9000 lua weather. I am trying to incorporate the daily pollen count with my weather display. So far, I have added:
    Code:
    ${execi 600 wget -O /home/dale/test/test1 http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:30052.1.99999&MR=1}\
    ${execi 600 wget -O /home/dale/test/test3 http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayPollen.asp?Zipcode=30052}
    ${voffset 2}${color e5e5e5}${execi 100 cat /home/dale/test/test1 | grep 'out of 12' | cut -c 19-22}

${voffset 3}${color e5e5e5}${execi 100 cat /home/dale/test/test3 | grep 'Pollen Type' | cut  -c 39-}
    into an rc file and it displays the pollen count and the primary pollens. for example, todays is a count of 5.40 with primary polens of Hickory/Pecan, Grass and Walnut.
    I would like to add it to the lua, instead of having it in a separate rc, so I added
    Code:
    ${execi 600 wget -O /home/dale/test/test1  http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:30052.1.99999&MR=1}\
    ${execi 600 wget -O /home/dale/test/test3 http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayPollen.asp?Zipcode=30052}
    to the conky_weather rc, and I have the text being displayed by the lua, but now I can't figure out how or where to add the calls to display the variables in the lua. I tried using os.execute, and, if that is the right way to do it I'm sure my syntax was incorrect. Either way, It didn't work.
    Right now I have it displayed by a separate rc to show what I want. It's in the top right of the screen.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    Your .conkyrc file gives me a bit of a headache, but I can definitely start with:
    It was copied verbatim from Bartos' conky. Thanks for the links.

Code:

Code:
    That was it. the startup command had rc in it when it shouldn't have. The simplest things are what usually kills it.
    Thanks.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Hidden!

The awk '{print $3} is what pulls (prints) the temperature so you get the "+" as well.

Use the cut command to remove it, change:

Code:
    CPU Core 1 Temp: $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f | grep 'Core 0' | awk '{print $3}'}
    to something like:

Code:
    CPU Core 1 Temp: $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f | grep 'Core 0' | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c2-5}
    to cut the output to the characters you want (characters 2-5 printed in this example). The man page for cut is pretty complete; take a look at it.
    Please, please, either use AWK itself or use GREP/SED/CUT, but don't mix it.

Because it's like having using this great, 92 tools Swiss Army Knife (AWK) to unscrew 1 small screw and then use tools from other toolbox to unscrew rest of it.
    It's just inefficient.
    AWK isn't simple program, it's shell like environment itself and when you use it it's not so irrelevant to system resources.

Execi sensors with AWK:
    Code:
    $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f |awk '/Core 0/ {cut=index($3, "F"); print(substr($3, 2, cut - 3))}'}F
    Execi sensors with GREP/SED/CUT:
    Code:
    $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f |grep 'Core 0' |cut -d+ -f2 |sed 's|^\([0-9]*\.[0-9]\).*|\1|'}F
    Last edited by dk75; June 1st, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dk75 View Post

Because it's like having using this great, 92 tools Swiss Army Knife (AWK) to unscrew 1 small screw and then use tools from other toolbox to unscrew rest of it.
    It's just inefficient.
    AWK isn't simple program, it's shell like environment itself and when you use it it's not so irrelevant to system resources.

Execi sensors with AWK:
    Code:
    $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f |awk '/Core 0/ {cut=index($3, "F"); print(substr($3, 2, cut - 3))}'}F
    Code:
    $alignr${execi 600 sensors -f |grep 'Core 0' |cut -d+ -f2 |sed 's|^\([0-9]*\.[0-9]\).*|\1|'}F
    Y'see? This is why I need to update my knowledge base. I was definitely tired yesterday. Thanks dk75, I have some learnin' to do in the next little while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@ Cavsfan, I believe you are talking about the one on the left. To me the conky that you want to run is a modified version of VinDsl's conky. The black one is in your ect folder and comes with your distro. The one you are trying to get going is in your home folder. I feel, in my opinion, it is a good idea to delete it anyway. I have found out when you call up your conky in the terminal it starts up. If you have another conky running on the left side, the black one will run behind your conky in that position. I guess it is just personal preference.
    Last edited by alpetjr; June 1st, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dk75 View Post

It's just inefficient.

Execi sensors with AWK:
    Code:
    Code:
    Okay... Forgive me here dk75, but you're saying I can simplify something like:

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -m | grep "Dec" | awk '{print $6}'}
    With...

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -m | awk '/Dec/{print $6}'}
    Right? Or... that's what I gather from what I can find online...

What about this?

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -d | grep "`date +"%D"`" | awk '{print $5}'}
    Can AWK call the date program the same way? I can't quite figure this one out. I think, to be honest, if you show me how this one is done, I might be able to figure out the rest of it pretty easily. I've just never looked into converting to a purely AWK call before now.

*EDIT* I know without a doubt that the first scenario with Dec in the search works flawlessly. THAT substitution works perfect, and I have indeed implemented it. The second one, calling the date program and it's switches, my head isn't wrapping around it, and I can't find an answer or tutorial online or in a man page.
    Last edited by 42dorian; June 2nd, 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    Okay... Forgive me here dk75, but you're saying I can simplify something like:

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -m | grep "Dec" | awk '{print $6}'}
    With...

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -m | awk '/Dec/{print $6}'}
    Right? Or... that's what I gather from what I can find online...

What about this?

Code:
    ${execi 60 vnstat -d | grep "`date +"%D"`" | awk '{print $5}'}
    Can AWK call the date program the same way? I can't quite figure this one out. I think, to be honest, if you show me how this one is done, I might be able to figure out the rest of it pretty easily. I've just never looked into converting to a purely AWK call before now.

*EDIT* I know without a doubt that the first scenario with Dec in the search works flawlessly. THAT substitution works perfect, and I have indeed implemented it. The second one, calling the date program and it's switches, my head isn't wrapping around it, and I can't find an answer or tutorial online or in a man page.
    vnstat -d gives MM/DD/YY, while date +%D gives MM/DD/YYYY, so grep `date +%D` won't find anything. Also the search syntax in awk is: command | awk '/search this/ { do this }', but the /search this/ part is confused if there are slashes in there, like with the date command it becomes: vnstat -d | awk '/06/02/12/{print $5}'. You can do this though:
    Code:
    vnstat | awk '/today/{print $5}'

Page 1996 of 2311 FirstFirst ... 996149618961946198619941995199619971998200620462096 ... LastLast