Page 1756 of 2292 FirstFirst ... 7561256165617061746175417551756175717581766180618562256 ... LastLast
Results 17,551 to 17,560 of 22919

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

lm-sensors and hwmon are really 2 sides of the same coin
    you cant get info from hwmon if you cant get it via sensors

here's another link
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43397

and the output of sensors typed into a terminal is much easier to understand than looking through the hwmon folders (i just went and looked)

if you want to use hwmon in conky, it seems from the link, that the best way is to compare it to the output of sensors

so lm-sensors is hardly irrelevant

but you are right in that hwmon calls in conky is a neater and cheaper way of getting the info on the screen

edit - from the description of hwmon on the conky object page it doesnt sound like you can get things like the limits for the various parameters, or see if there is an alarm, i suppose you could write these into the conkyrc (and use if matches for the alarms), but you can get them directly via execi sensors and some editing

neither way is the "right" way, both work and its up to the whoever is writing the code to decide which one to use
    Last edited by mrpeachy; May 11th, 2011 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi everyone this is what the command ls -a showed in sys/class/hwmon.
    Code:
    /sys/class/hwmon$ ls -a
    .  ..  hwmon0
    I had numbers showing in all catagories earlier but the numbers were not right, also the senor conky is having a problem when I edit it part of the time it quits working and even changing it back the way it was does not fix it, like now it is not working at all.
    Code:
    # .conkyrc - Edited from various examples across the 'net 
    # Used by VastOne on Fedora 15 
    use_xft yes 
    xftfont Droid Serif:size=11.5.5 
    override_utf8_locale yes 
    alignment top_middle
    xftalpha 0.9 
    own_window yes 
    #own_window_type desktop 
    # own_window_hints stick 
    own_window_type override 
    own_window_transparent yes 
    own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager 
    double_buffer yes 
    draw_shades no 
    draw_outline no 
    draw_borders no 
    stippled_borders 10 
    border_outer_margin 10 
    border_width 1 
    default_shade_color grey 
    default_outline_color black 
    default_color white 
    use_spacer none 
    top_name_width 10 
    no_buffers yes 
    #maximum_width 460 
    update_interval 2 
    uppercase no 
    color1 sky blue 
    color2 E7E6E5 
    gap_x 10 
    gap_y 25 

TEXT 

${font Droid Serif:size=11.5}${color1}System Sensors ${hr 2}${color}${font} 

${color grey}CPU:$color ${hwmon 0 temp 1}°F ${color grey} MB:$color ${hwmon 0 temp 2}°F ${color grey} GPU:$color ${execi 5 sensors | grep '+100.0'| cut -c 16-17}°F ${color grey} HD:$color ${execi 5 hddtemp /dev/sda6 | cut -c 34-37} 
    ${color lightgrey}Fans: CPU:$color ${acpifan fan1} RPM${color grey} - Chasis 1:$color ${ acpifan fan 2} RPM${color grey} 
    Chasis 2:$color ${acpifan fan 3} RPM${color grey}
    This is the actual code I have been working on but I am going to stop for tonight I am to tired to work on it. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my conkies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VastOne View Post
    Wow... Hell of a difference and actually usable code now..

Well done!!
    He needs to put his own name in it.

Actually I hate it. I hate it because it gives a challenge and I have no time as I am moving my primary residence next week. Bookmarked for a project after the move.
    Last edited by BoredOutOfMyMind; May 11th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.

Hello,

have anyone the conkyrc file "Bruce Conky" from this http://www.aptgetupdate.de/2009/05/1...esktop-themes/ site?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gorzka View Post
    Hello,

have anyone the conkyrc file "Bruce Conky" from this http://www.aptgetupdate.de/2009/05/1...esktop-themes/ site?
    Top left corner

Thanks

Beans

All of that is true, mrpeachy, except if the programming in Natty has problems with the way sensors are reported to the Kernel. Like, say, if the new features in Natty have changed the way it interacts with HAL, as it was reported to be so in the Natty features page that was put up before it was released to the public. It may not be the case in CrunchBang, Arch, or Mint, but it's true in The Narwhal. It may well be that all of wildmanne39's frustrations in the past couple days over the sensors is due to Natty itself being incompatible with them now. Which means, if he wants sensor data, it might not be directly available anymore. And he can move on to putting something else in their place.

Indeed. All that you guys have been saying about sensors and lm-sensors is true and relevant IN GENERAL, but the second there's a feature in Natty that has a problem with this direct-access type of information, it's entirely useless for wildmanne39 himself. He's using Natty, and from his screen outputs and all of the information available, the answer that helps him most is... drumroll please... Natty is stopping him from getting the data he's fighting for so hard. The proof is in the hwmon folder. It has none of the information he wants to show, and it's the most direct route to all of the info available. Therefore, all of his problems creating something that shows data, is reporting the wrong data for him. And, instead of him thinking it's something he has to do differently, the information is actually saying that he no longer has access to the information at all. That would save him a lot of time and effort.

@wildmanne39, indeed. Take some rest. The problem is with Natty, not you. I'm seeing my doctor about my shoulder injury today, so I can't really get into this with you. But, try to search the forum for terms like Natty HWMON Setup, or Natty Sensors Command Line Interface. It will probably net you more people having the same problem as you, but you can at least read through their threads and see if there are alternatives to sensors/lm-sensors/hwmon in order to view the data you've been looking for. I have no doubt there's probably a GUI that can do it, but you're looking for a Command Line Interface that is being used in place of sensors or lm-sensors now.

If all else fails, you can use Grep/Awk/Sed to nab the data from a Command Line Interface (CLI) and use that in Conky and lua in the form of number values.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    All of that is true, mrpeachy, except if the programming in Natty has problems with the way sensors are reported to the Kernel. Like, say, if the new features in Natty have changed the way it interacts with HAL, as it was reported to be so in the Natty features page that was put up before it was released to the public. It may not be the case in CrunchBang, Arch, or Mint, but it's true in The Narwhal. It may well be that all of wildmanne39's frustrations in the past couple days over the sensors is due to Natty itself being incompatible with them now. Which means, if he wants sensor data, it might not be directly available anymore. And he can move on to putting something else in their place.

Indeed. All that you guys have been saying about sensors and lm-sensors is true and relevant IN GENERAL, but the second there's a feature in Natty that has a problem with this direct-access type of information, it's entirely useless for wildmanne39 himself. He's using Natty, and from his screen outputs and all of the information available, the answer that helps him most is... drumroll please... Natty is stopping him from getting the data he's fighting for so hard. The proof is in the hwmon folder. It has none of the information he wants to show, and it's the most direct route to all of the info available. Therefore, all of his problems creating something that shows data, is reporting the wrong data for him. And, instead of him thinking it's something he has to do differently, the information is actually saying that he no longer has access to the information at all. That would save him a lot of time and effort.

@wildmanne39, indeed. Take some rest. The problem is with Natty, not you. I'm seeing my doctor about my shoulder injury today, so I can't really get into this with you. But, try to search the forum for terms like Natty HWMON Setup, or Natty Sensors Command Line Interface. It will probably net you more people having the same problem as you, but you can at least read through their threads and see if there are alternatives to sensors/lm-sensors/hwmon in order to view the data you've been looking for. I have no doubt there's probably a GUI that can do it, but you're looking for a Command Line Interface that is being used in place of sensors or lm-sensors now.

If all else fails, you can use Grep/Awk/Sed to nab the data from a Command Line Interface (CLI) and use that in Conky and lua in the form of number values.
    I'm on Natty and it seems to give me the same readings as maverick.
    Code:
    glen@Natty:~$ sudo service module-init-tools start
    module-init-tools stop/waiting
    glen@Natty:~$ sensors
    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp:  +41.0°C                                    
    Core1 Temp:  +41.0°C                                    

w83627ehf-isa-0a10
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Vcore:       +1.34 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)   
    in1:         +1.85 V  (min =  +0.34 V, max =  +0.61 V)   ALARM
    AVCC:        +3.20 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)   
    +3.3V:       +3.20 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)   
    in4:         +1.57 V  (min =  +1.02 V, max =  +1.37 V)   ALARM
    in5:         +1.45 V  (min =  +0.14 V, max =  +0.58 V)   ALARM
    in6:         +1.46 V  (min =  +1.03 V, max =  +0.10 V)   ALARM
    3VSB:        +3.17 V  (min =  +2.98 V, max =  +3.63 V)   
    Vbat:        +2.85 V  (min =  +2.70 V, max =  +3.30 V)   
    in9:         +1.44 V  (min =  +1.94 V, max =  +0.33 V)   ALARM
    fan1:       3068 RPM  (min = 1054 RPM, div = 8)
    fan2:          0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
    fan3:          0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)  ALARM
    fan4:       3375 RPM  (min = 1231 RPM, div = 8)
    fan5:          0 RPM  (min = 10546 RPM, div = 128)
    temp1:       +38.0°C  (high =  +8.0°C, hyst = -78.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
    temp2:       +43.5°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
    temp3:       +43.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
    cpu0_vid:   +0.000 V

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gorzka View Post
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeachy View Post
    lm-sensors and hwmon are really 2 sides of the same coin you cant get info from hwmon if you cant get it via sensors

neither way is the "right" way, both work and its up to the whoever is writing the code to decide which one to use
    Linux is Linux there is no "one" way to do things. "hwmon" is not even in Debian Squeeze repos that I can find. But it must have been at one time the quote below is from 2009.

EDIT: oh hwmon .. not a program... silly me!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeachy View Post
    as you can see, according to k10temp, my cpu is at 27.6 degrees, but according to the ISA adapter, temp1, which i believe is cpu is at 35... and it says that anything above 0 degrees is high! ... from reading the lm sensors FAQ
    http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ
    it seems that many of these readings aren't that relevant and are highly dependant on your particular motherboard as to what is actually being measured

I can change the high/low limits but where would i get the info?

i guess approximate info is still better than no info
    but i dont like seeing all those alarms
    Thank you for that lm-sensors link, I lost it and forgot about it ... I see something that just might help me.

I found some of the information in my motherboard manual. I went looking a few years ago to find out what was what when acpitemp told me my CPU temp was 22° on Ubuntu that NEVER changed. Only to find that ACPI is more for laptops than desktops, that ended that.

And I agree with you, approximate is better than none.

From a lot of reading on the subject I found out, like you said, it is approximate, and relies on a lot more factors then I believed at first.

Your MOBO, your CPU and the OS you install because it depends on what is built into the kernal.

This was an interesting find on the Debian forums (quoted in part):
    Don't use hwmon as your setting in conky though, as these assignments move around on reboots. To find the actual data in a place that won't move around when you reboot ('platform' setting), look in /sys/bus/platform/devices/ for the chipname and in that directory for *_input for the actual data. Don't use the mobo chipset core temp, as that's unreliable; use actual core0 and 1 for CPUs. If you have a laptop, sensors are probably ACPI, and I've forgotten where to find those, but set the conky configs accordingly.
    ... now since I can't find hwmon in my Debian repos I guess things have changed and maybe Ubuntu has stabilized where the "assignments" are.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    I'm on Natty and it seems to give me the same readings as maverick.
    Thanks stinkeye, I didn't believe that lm-sensors would be abandoned by Ubuntu Natty. Nice to have confirmation.

I had readings almost identical with Ubuntu, but the switch to Debian gave me a lot less options. Has to be the kernel, my equipment is the same.

And more confirmation. Following the "20 Second" lead I found this posted 4 days ago about Re: Conky: acpitemp variable not working anymore in Natty?

From reading something somewhere, OK so my memory isn't exactly Kingston, I know that temp1 is "Motherboard" for MY MOBO - what part I have NO IDEA! I don't build MOBO's for a living.

This is what I have today:
    Code:
     M/B: ${exec sensors | grep 'temp1:' | cut --characters 15-16}°
    Core: ${exec sensors | grep 'Core0' | cut --characters 15-16}°
     GPU: ${execpi 5 sh -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 nvclock -T | grep 'GPU' | cut -c21-22"}°
     SDA: ${exec hddtemp /dev/sda | cut --characters 34-37}
    OLD Ubuntu conky:
    Code:
       CPU: ${execpi 10 sensors | grep 'CPU Temp' | cut --characters 15-16 | xargs ~/.conky/scripts/ColorTempCPU.sh}°
      Core: ${execpi 10 sensors | grep 'Core0' | cut --characters 15-16 | xargs ~/.conky/scripts/ColorTempCore.sh}°
       M/B: ${execpi 10 sensors | grep 'M/B Temp' | cut --characters 15-16 | xargs ~/.conky/scripts/ColorTempMB.sh}°
       GPU: ${execpi 8 sh -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 nvclock -T | grep GPU | cut -c21-22" | xargs ~/.conky/scripts/ColorTempGPU.sh}°
    HD sda: ${execpi 8 hddtemp /dev/sda | cut --characters 34-37 | xargs ~/.conky/scripts/ColorTempHDD.sh}
    WOW!!! ... consistent I am ... 10 or 8 seconds...

I have included the ColourTemp scripts bu Kubuntu's own Crinos512. Very nice to have, perfect in their simplicity. Can be used with any conky command that outputs % - or probably numbers in general.

AND, I'll be using those script again sometime today.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sector11; May 11th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1756 of 2292 FirstFirst ... 7561256165617061746175417551756175717581766180618562256 ... LastLast