Page 1637 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 6371137153715871627163516361637163816391647168717372137 ... LastLast
Results 16,361 to 16,370 of 23480

Thread: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots

Quote Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
    Green is good!

Tough to see the black color.
    Got to agree there. Like on most sports fields, use white on green.

Quote Originally Posted by brianafischer View Post
    VinDSL,

Would you be kind enough to post your conky files for the screenshot you have shown? I would love to run this on my system.

Thanks!
    Isn't his conky info in his sig? Else it's all over this thread
    Last edited by miegiel; March 1st, 2011 at 05:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    edit: sorry if that came across as full on [...]
    That'll do, M!

No reason to apologize. You didn't do anything wrong! You're just quirky. No shame in that...

I've been programming since (let's just say) well into the last century. I cut my PC teeth on a Kaypro II (CP/M), if you'd like a time reference.

I've run across many characters, over the years, game developers being the worst. You're "warn n'fuzzy" by comparison -- a peacock, in a sea of penguins.

Now, that gamers are into Lua, so I can understand your abhorrence of that particular language.

You probably popped your cherry, if you will, on Python, and that's cool...

The thing is -- in my endeavors -- I quickly passed over Python, in favor of PHP. That's where I'm coming from, e.g. web development.

Conky, as it stands, is severely crippled. That's why you had to come up with all those lovely Python crutches, and my hat's off to you!

If you like to dabble in ancient languages -- more power to you! However, IMO, Lua is more promising, going forward -- that's all I'm saying.

Anyway, I'm glad that we finally broke that barrier between us. I know how it is.

Feel free to speak your mind. I have big shoulders. You won't offend me...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brianafischer View Post
    VinDSL,

Would you be kind enough to post your conky files for the screenshot you have shown? I would love to run this on my system.

Thanks!
    Not yet, brianafischer! Maybe in a month or so.

As you can see, I'm under attack in the Conky Community.

The 'high priests' view me as a threat. LoL!

They'll get over it -- they always do.

I've been admonished (in the forums) for posting the 11.04 Alpha pics.

I'm too far ahead of the crowd, and they cannot stand it.

Anyway, let's give 'them' a chance to catch up, ok?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Not yet, brianafischer! Maybe in a month or so.

As you can see, I'm under attack in the Conky Community.

The 'high priests' view me as a threat. LoL!

They'll get over it -- they always do.

I've been admonished (in the forums) for posting the 11.04 Alpha pics.

I'm too far ahead of the crowd, and they cannot stand it.

Anyway, let's give 'them' a chance to catch up, ok?
    I've used 11.04 and I see no problem in posting screenshots of it. If it crashes then you should be able to fix it if your trying out development releases
    Last edited by djyoung4; March 1st, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
    I'm a super power user

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sector11 View Post
    Well, one of my mentors - using Natty - says it's just fine!

CCSM comes with settings for a reason!
    Oh, yeah, it's fine! Bwahahahaha!

Why don't you install it and see?!?!?!?

Anyway, the only setting I've found, that makes a paradigmatic improvement, is NOT hiding the launcher...

Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    I've used the 11.04 and I see no problem in posting pictures of it.
    Thank you, my friend! Heres a pic for you...

(Click to expand)

Last edited by VinDSL; April 24th, 2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: ADDED SCREENIE

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    Okay, now I understand. It's an EFFICIENCY thing. It's not something you can or can't do, it's that you could do it better. Okay. I get that. Thank you for explaining!

Sorry to be so long winded about it. I really don't get programming anymore. I'm good at most things technical, but programming mentality just went bye-bye when I learned C++ in College. My brain said "What? ANOTHER language? How many is that now? 10 in 3 years? I'm not doing this anymore. LET'S BUILD STUFF AND TROUBLESHOOT INSTEAD!" And I have only ever been able to navigate other people's code ever since. So I appreciate the insight!
    I also missed the fundamental thing that having python integrated would bring, the ability to paint on the conky window as with Lua / Cairo currently...I'm not sure of the complexities of acheiving this with python though...maybe embedding Lua was just easier to do and so chosen...sometimes the easiest option is not the best though

@VinDSL - I think we're gonna need to agree to disagree, the end, full stop. Python started 1989, Lua started 1993 both are old
    Last edited by kaivalagi; March 1st, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

"Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

its right there at the top

perhaps if this thread were in the support section and we were all diligently earning our beans, the mods might more readily object to some of the posts (and the thinly veiled insults contained within) that i have read above
    Last edited by mrpeachy; March 1st, 2011 at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeachy View Post
    perhaps if this thread were in the support section and we were all diligently earning our beans, the mods might more readily object to some of the posts (and the thinly veiled insults contained within) that i have read above
    We're just having fun (akin to) snapping each other with towels in the locker room.

Maybe they should start a new section called "The Community Shower", and move it there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    We're just having fun (akin to) snapping each other with towels in the locker room.

Maybe they should start a new section called "The Community Shower", and move it there.
    Looks bad as a whole.

Carry on with your self promotion though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    I also missed the fundamental thing that having python integrated would bring, the ability to paint on the conky window as with Lua / Cairo currently...I'm not sure of the complexities of acheiving this with python though...maybe embedding Lua was just easier to do and so chosen...sometimes the easiest option is not the best though

@VinDSL - I think we're gonna need to agree to disagree, the end, full stop. Python started 1989, Lua started 1993 both are old
    I gotta disagree with you there K. Neither language is "Old", since they're still in development and use on a regular basis. My old programming teacher used to say, due to the rapid expansion and doubling of what we know about computers, the only delimiter available to us for what languages are currently "Old" is whether or not their libraries continue to be developed. As long as a language continues to add libraries or improve it's libraries, it is still a young and vital language. The ones that have been forgotten about, or are no longer used are the ones we can safely consider "Old" in the modern sense.

So, really, as I said earlier, it's not really relevant to say one or the other is old. You're wrong there. You both are really. These languages are still developed regularly, and used quite vigorously all over the place. They've been vitalized and made young again many times over as computer ages go.

This is an important conversation to have with regards to Conky. We are still using this super-thread that is even advertized on the Conky Wiki itself as a major resource for Conky users. Conky developers can see this conversation and perhaps see it as a wishlist for where to take the system in the near future. And, truthfully? If we moved this entire thread into a support forum, both the developers of Conky and it's Users could have these discussions more regularly along side all these examples we all generate. It would benefit everyone, especially the Ubuntu Forum Staff, to move this thread like they would move any other improperly-filed thread they find.

I think the only difference I'm making over the arguments made by others is that I see this being about these little discussions we have about where Conky is going, and how we keep telling people to "Use Code Tags!" all the time, and not about the "Beans" the rest of you are hyping it about. If this were truly a Cafe topic, one staffer or another would've told us off for how we treat people by now. Let's admit it. We're very direct when helping people. Some of us are blunt and say "Change This" or "This is in Blue/Red, change that" when someone asks for help. Not very polite for a "Community Cafe" I'd say. We help people, and eachother. And most of all, we help with the development of Conky as time goes on. That's not a Cafe topic, that's a support topic. And going back to the beginning of the thread, I think we only got 3 pages in before we started supporting people instead of just displaying our Conky Screenshots and .conkyrc files.

Page 1637 of 2348 FirstFirst ... 6371137153715871627163516361637163816391647168717372137 ... LastLast