Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are "newbie" threads dying out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Are "newbie" threads dying out?

Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems the activity level at the "new to ubuntu" forum is way down from levels of even a year ago (or especially 3-6 years ago). If so, what if anything does that mean? Are new users to Ubuntu declining, if so, is there a connection to the "challenges" of installing Linux with current hardware (e.g., uefi/gpt)?

My last install on a new system was the easiest of any system I ever had . . . . I just went to System76 and ordered a new PC. I tend to believe however, that most new linux users are not very aware of the existence or possibility of these options (buying pre-loaded PC's) - - but could that be a reason for the reduced "newbie" input? (if it really is reduced, maybe it's just my incorrect conclusion).
    Last edited by JeQhdMD; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:41 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Are "newbie" threads dying out?

I can think of a couple of reasons - more of the simple issues that plague most are easy to find support for without needing to post, there are more support venues in the mix now. No need to do anything but read for the most part.

Beans

I still see an array of basic questions on askubuntu.com. That seems to be more of a "hub" for stuff like that in some ways. Whenever I talk about forums I still get people who look at me like I'm speaking a different language to them, as they have never experienced forums and as a result aren't sure how to get started. Likewise, I think joining some Ubuntu communities on G+ helps as well. Something like G+ does not replace the forums, but given that most people already have a Google account, I find it's easy to dig up responses relating to Ubuntu assistance when Googling around. Pull up the page, join community, boom. I've certainly seen an influx in G+ traffic in regard to support related issues across all distros (I must be following 18-20 distros on G+).
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I cannot say if the number of threads in the New to Ubuntu section is getting less each year or not but I have noticed that there are a lot of posts from people who are wanting to do things that a new Linux/Ubuntu user should not be trying to do. Many of those posting in that section are clearly not new to either Ubuntu or Linux.

Perhaps that section of the forum is not seen as a place to ask about the things that an absolutely new user wants to know. People wanting to know the new user kind of stuff might be put off by thinking that they are asking a stupid question. Especially, if they do not see others asking those kind of questions.

Prospective new to Linux/Ubuntu users would be seeking information on installing or fixing broken installation problems. I see lots of threads about installing on Windows 8 machines but not in the New to Ubuntu section. We do have a General and a Installation and Upgrade section. Although I have noticed that the labels on the sections are often ignored.

Also keep in mind that this forum and other support web sites are visited by those seeking help. Those who are not sick do not need a doctor. The number of people waiting to consult a doctor is no indication of the population level.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:36 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    I can think of a couple of reasons - more of the simple issues that plague most are easy to find support for without needing to post, there are more support venues in the mix now. No need to do anything but read for the most part.
    I would also add that the support section has been reorganized. Some of what is posted in the General Support used to be in New to Ubuntu.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by JeQhdMD View Post
    My last install on a new system was the easiest of any system I ever had . . . . I just went to System76 and ordered a new PC. I tend to believe however, that most new linux users are not very aware of the existence or possibility of these options (buying pre-loaded PC's) - - but could that be a reason for the reduced "newbie" input? (if it really is reduced, maybe it's just my incorrect conclusion).
    Even as a newbie I couldn't afford a System76 machine. Heck, the 'cheapest' one is 800$+shipping rates. You can have a decent Windows laptop for 450-500$ meeting all the basic needs in any store these days. Not everyone is a gamer or a developper. That has always been my problem with Linux pre-loaded retailers in Canada, they are only selling high-end hardware! A lot of people going over to Linux are doing so because they no longer want to pay for Windows and may not be able to afford a new computer. Their budget may be limited. If they are not introduced to Linux and are looking for an alternative to Windows, then they may well end up buying a chromebook which won't ruined them.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:25 PM.

Beans

I've used GNU/Linux for 5 years, never needed the forms really. if you have a problem is probably already happened to someone else and you can google for the answer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by michael256 View Post
    ...if you have a problem is probably already happened to someone else and you can google for the answer.
    Amen to that!

Seems RTFM is "deja vu all over again"...
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?
    Linux is just "DOS on 'steroids"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Are "newbie" threads dying out?

Well I mainly use our little forum for support. I also see the Ubuntu section and Linux For Noobs at Reddit getting a bucket load of traffic. No worries, Ubuntu is not going anywhere.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't know the stats, but if anything I have seen an increase in new users, particularly after XP popped its clogs awhile ago. Quite and influx. When I first got on here first time posters weren't a daily occurence that I saw. Now I come across maybe a half dozen first timers a day (but I trawl about here quite a bit!).

Probably wouldn't see quite so many if some read the first link in my signature, but perhaps that is part of changing the mindset to Linux where it is about finding answers, community and research a little more than it possibly is with some other OSs.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast