Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Systemback - Software to make an image of your installed OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Systemback - Software to make an image of your installed OS

I came across this software via this website http://www.unixmen.com/systemback-re...revious-state/ and I thought that I would investigate further.

In the past, I used Remastersys but I know that it is in the process of being released by another developer soon.
    Anyway, I followed the instructions on the Unixmen site and installed Systemback via the PPA.

I have successfully created a system image and converted it to an ISO (total size 1.3GB)
    The ISO image was put on a USB stick using the Start Up Disk Creator in Ubuntu
    The USB stick booted OK but I was surprised to have to log in using my original User name and Password.
    Systemback is still present on the live system and you can use it to install the live OS.
    I had a spare drive, so I tried the installer and so far so good. I am writing this post from the new installation.

I haven't tested the new installation thoroughly yet, but the important things like wifi, ethernet, sound and video all seem OK.
    By the way, I did not include user data in my image only the operating system (14.04 including Unity & Gnome Shell)

There are many posts in the Ubuntu forums for imaging apps and I hope that a few other users will give it a test drive to see if it is suitable.

The developer has a launchpad account https://launchpad.net/systemback

Beans

Re: Systemback - Software to make an image of your installed OS

That sounds pretty nice. I will have to check it out.

Beans

Sounds interesting. In the past I have also used remastersys and mklivecd (on pclinuxos). Right now i have found the Retracta tools to be the best current option but I'll definitely give this a try sometime. Does it compress the livecd image do you know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That sounds great so I installed it. I can't run it because it's asking for a password and wont accept my root password. What the......... ?

Too bad.
    Be inspired by phreaking.
    http://tinyurl.com/about-phreaking
    And don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rv_happy View Post
    Does it compress the livecd image do you know?
    Yes, it does compress the live image.

When I did a test, the live image was 1.3GB and the installed OS is around 6.0GB.

Kind regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pretty_whistle View Post
    That sounds great so I installed it. I can't run it because it's asking for a password and wont accept my root password. What the......... ?

Too bad.
    I do not have a root password only a user password which allows elevated privileges. By this, I mean the password that you enter after sudo.......

My user password allowed me to use the software.

Are we talking about the same password?

You may wish to direct your question to the developer's launchpad page, where there are other questions & answers about this application.

Best wishes

Beans

Remastersys is still the best. Install it, launch it, click Dist and in a short while you will have your compressed, bootable iso using the ubuntu default Live session user account. Many options for finetuning your output. Grub boot menu background image, live cd grub background image, file name, session name, and more.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

But Remastersys is no longer developed and as I understand each new Ubuntu version breaks Remastersys (I am happy to be corrected). BlackLab Linux took the code and redeveloped it for their own purposes but have since taken it down from their public site.I couldn't get a bootable image off it anyway (though I was probably doing something wrong).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Yes, it does compress the live image.

When I did a test, the live image was 1.3GB and the installed OS is around 6.0GB.

Kind regards
    Thanks, sounds good. I'll definitely be testing it soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I recall with Remasterys there was a limitation on back up size is this the case with Systemback? I have been using ReDo for a backup of all system partitions (EFI and Root) and Home

EDIT:Tried it and used it to create Restore Point. Be advised that on my system the restore point was nearly 10 GB and that is a lot on an SSD. So I changed the directory I was using for my Restore Point to my HD
    Last edited by SuperFreak; July 31st, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast