Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deepin GNU/Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Deepin GNU/Linux

I am trying to get my VMWare Workstation 11.1.0 64 bit GNU/Linux software product to install Deepin 14.3 64 bit GNU/Linux in a guest virtual machine, but it does not boot off of the ISO file. Does anyone here know what is going on here? How can I try this in a guest virtual machine successfully?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Deepin GNU/Linux

Nevermind. I downloaded it again from Mega and it works. Sorry, but I had a bad ISO file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't see any links to torrents on the download page, I can't read much there, but if torrents are available I would use them. Torrents are better because of the built-in error checking so the need to manually check the SHA256 or MD5 hash is eliminated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I successfully installed Deepin 14.3 64 bit GNU/Linux in a guest virtual machine and it takes forever to download updates from The People's Republic of China. At first blush, it appears to be quirky and the English language is not their forte. It looks and feels like a toy desktop operating system. It is visually attractive and it comes with unique software packages, but it sure feels like a toy with which to play. It is fairly easy and simple to learn how to use and I like the welcome screen that teaches new users to the basics of how to navigate the desktop environment and window manager. What exactly makes Deepin so special if I dare ask?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I finally figured out to launch the Deepin Store to change my download mirror. Now, it's much faster. I installed VMWare Tools successfully. This seems to be a semi-polished GNU/Linux distribution, but there are some rough edges around the corner still lurking. I find it to be an odd distribution even though it is based upon Ubuntu 14.04.x 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux. Give me more time to figure this one out on my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Looks like it was designed by ToysRUs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

What else are you running as a VM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Right now, I am running OpenSuSE 13.2 64 bit, Elementary OS "Freya" 64 bit, Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" 64 bit, PC-BSD 10.1.2 64 bit, Deepin 14.3 64 bit, and I plan to include OpenBSD 5.7 64 bit later this week. I am also interested in Netrunner OS 16 "Ozymandias" 64 bit, but I need to do my research. I follow Infinitely Galactic on Google's YouTube and I watch his videos about various GNU/Linux distributions and I give it a go myself using VMWare Workstation 11.1.0 64 bit. I'll give Netrunner a try on Friday or this weekend. I'm more interested in Deepin right now, but I'm having a problem activating the hot corners feature. It doesn't seem to work well.

Deepin has a lot of unique features that aren't fully baked. The Deepin Store keeps telling me that upgrades are taking place, but it seems to get stuck and it doesn't tell me the status of my last upgrade. The hot corners don't seem to work well either. The Deepin Store is full of software packages that come from the Ubuntu Software Center, but the Deepin apps themselves are not truly groundbreaking. There seems to be a reliability problem with getting the some features to work. When I installed Deepin, it detected VMWare Workstation and it told me to install it bare metal for the best experience. It has a pretty user interface, but the English language version does not communicate well and it is a bit confusing to figure out the imperfect English translations to get features to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I have tried to like PCBSD; I just can't make myself like it; If one wants FreeBSD, then do take the time to install the base OS, and add desired packages separately; the result will be much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    and I plan to include OpenBSD 5.7 64 bit later this week
    I'm guessing that'll be 64-bit x86 (aka amd64) not any of the other 64 bit architectures
    OpenBSD is nice in that it does nothing that you didn't specifically tell it to do. But things have moved on quite far since 5.7. If you are interested in trying the latest, then I would go with the snapshots instead. It has a shorter, faster development and lifecycle than most other OSes. The snapshots are where the active development is. You might also try BitRig which is forked from OpenBSD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast