Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to help on unanswered questions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Attempting to help on unanswered questions

Tonight I've been clicking on each page of the Unanswered Posts reading the topic and seeing if its something I can help with. I've done a lot of posts tonight just doing that, hoping my suggestions help. I figure I can help others out while I wait for it to cool down so I can go to sleep.

Do you guys monitor the unanswered posts to help others out? I try to so people can see we're trying to help answer their questions. Hehe. I wonder if I should apply for moderator hmm...

Hope everyone's having a good night. =D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Attempting to help on unanswered questions

There is a team on the forum doing just that https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam

But I'd like to think that others do so without being in a team
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good for you, slooksterpsv! Keep up the good work.

Like Elfy said, and adding to that, the unanswereds and 1-3 posts are what I mostly try and deal with when I check 'New Posts' (and I'm not on the team). From the discussion that happened when the team was getting together, I think most staff try and help out with unanswered posts when they can, on the team or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Good for you, slooksterpsv! Keep up the good work.

Like Elfy said, and adding to that, the unanswereds and 1-3 posts are what I mostly try and deal with when I check 'New Posts' (and I'm not on the team). From the discussion that happened when the team was getting together, I think most staff try and help out with unanswered posts when they can, on the team or not.
    +1

Welcome slooksterpsv as a helper for the 'unanswereds' and other hard problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I enjoy spending time doing this. People who are equivocating because they are not sure they are knowledgeable enough should bear in mind that often the more informed members seem to hold back from responding because of a lack of basic information by the OP.
    Ask the OP for some of the missing basics and if it is beyond your own experience someone else will often help out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jonor View Post
    I enjoy spending time doing this. People who are equivocating because they are not sure they are knowledgeable enough should bear in mind that often the more informed members seem to hold back from responding because of a lack of basic information by the OP.
    Ask the OP for some of the missing basics and if it is beyond your own experience someone else will often help out.
    I find the need to ask for more info happens more often than I would like.
    But if others are going to be able to help, someone needs to get that ball rollin'.

Overall, though, I find most posters acknowledge the fact that those helping are all over the world, and they do appreciate the fact that someone, anyone, is willing to take the time to at least push them in a workable solution.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I find the need to ask for more info happens more often than I would like.
    But if others are going to be able to help, someone needs to get that ball rollin'.

Overall, though, I find most posters acknowledge the fact that those helping are all over the world, and they do appreciate the fact that someone, anyone, is willing to take the time to at least push them in a workable solution.
    Yea, sometimes you take a poster to the limits of your own abilities and, just in the nick of time, someone wakes up across the world with the knowledge to take it to a resolution. The joys of the forums.

The third link in my signature is a good one for posters who need a few hints on posting effectively and what info to supply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

For new people landing here looking for help, I find that this link is really helpful for them to look at this
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    For new people landing here looking for help, I find that this link is really helpful for them to look at this
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball
    The third link in my signature is a good one for posters who need a few hints on posting effectively and what info to supply.
    Snap! Ninja!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Elfy is a ninja, dang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast