Thread: problem with bibus

Beans

problem with bibus

Hi,

I've been having a little trouble with getting bibus working. Goes through the normal install fine, sets up the OO.o connection, and creates a .pysqlite3 database. However, when I try to import references via File>Import>Refer (Endnote), bibus just hangs. Had this same problem when I tried to install bibus in Windows. Any thoughts/solutions? Would love to save my bibliography from the 3rd circle demon known as Thompson ResearchSoft.

Edit:
    Ok, so I found the solution on the Bibus Wiki page @ SourceForge. The important part is formatting your references in the 'Endnote Export' format before exporting. Funny, I read that page probably 5 times in frustration, and that one line seems to have escaped my attention every time.
    Last edited by machoo02; October 21st, 2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: solved my problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: problem with bibus

Quote Originally Posted by machoo02 View Post
    Hi,

I've been having a little trouble with getting bibus working. Goes through the normal install fine, sets up the OO.o connection, and creates a .pysqlite3 database. However, when I try to import references via File>Import>Refer (Endnote), bibus just hangs. Had this same problem when I tried to install bibus in Windows. Any thoughts/solutions? Would love to save my bibliography from the 3rd circle demon known as Thompson ResearchSoft.

Edit:
    Ok, so I found the solution on the Bibus Wiki page @ SourceForge. The important part is formatting your references in the 'Endnote Export' format before exporting. Funny, I read that page probably 5 times in frustration, and that one line seems to have escaped my attention every time.
    So does this mean you have a working Bibus installation on Edgy? This is one of the things keeping me on Dapper. I'm scared that if I upgrade it will take me days to get Bibus working properly again...
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akniss View Post
    So does this mean you have a working Bibus installation on Edgy? This is one of the things keeping me on Dapper. I'm scared that if I upgrade it will take me days to get Bibus working properly again...
    So far, so good. I've had no problems with Bibus so far (although I am relatively new to using it, so it could be that I just haven't pushed it far enough to break).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the info on this. I spent a frustrating few hours on Saturday trying to import my Endnote library into bibus and only succeeded in corrupting it. I've had a look through the Sourceforge bibus wiki but I haven't so far found the reference to using Endnote export format. Nevertheless, the pointers you've provided here have helped me solve my problem. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by akniss View Post
    I had bibus working on my laptop using Breezy, updated it to Dapper and it still worked. Upgraded to Edgy, and after failing to sort out the ensuing xserver issues did a clean reinstall. Reinstalled Bibus and it was working just as before! Presumably it just picked up whatever configuration files remained in my home folder (I have /home on a separate partition, so it was unaffected by the clean reinstall.

So, yes, bibus is fine with edgy.

Robert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBob View Post
    I had bibus working on my laptop using Breezy, updated it to Dapper and it still worked. Upgraded to Edgy, and after failing to sort out the ensuing xserver issues did a clean reinstall. Reinstalled Bibus and it was working just as before! Presumably it just picked up whatever configuration files remained in my home folder (I have /home on a separate partition, so it was unaffected by the clean reinstall.

So, yes, bibus is fine with edgy.

Robert
    Thanks for the update, that's great news! I will probably give edgy a go in the next week or so.
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One thing to be aware of is the fact that Bibus will not check to ensure that python-pysqlite2 is installed, so if your database is in sqlite3 format, you'll just get an error when you try to open it. It seems like python-pysqlite2 ought to be a dependency...
    If you torture data hard enough, they will confess to anything