Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: something besides skype?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: something besides skype?

I am subscribed to sipphone service and use both Gizmo and Ekiga. I prefer Ekiga since it is open source, but sometimes it drops calls and sends some strange sound to the other side. My connection is not great (10kb/90kb DSL) , but when I switch to Gizmo everything is smooth and normal. I am not sure if it is my settings or not , but SIP is open protocol, right? so both of them should work fine. However since Gizmo itself is not open , I suspect they play some strange game when Gizmo works better most of the times compared to other (free) software. I am still searching , but it looks like there are no perfect solution so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: something besides skype?

Quote Originally Posted by shining View Post
    Skype is the only one which works flawlessly for me. Nothing to configure, and it works quite well out of the box.
    Does that mean your Skype send text messages and transfers the phone number as your id?
    Strange thing, I set it up on my Win7 machine at work, and it doesn't work on my Ubuntu laptop.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: something besides skype?

Google mail has a great feature that lets you chat inside the email window with your friends that appear on your buddy list, and with the new enhanced voice/video plugin lets you do this more smoothly and with better quality:

http://www.google.com/chat/video?hl=en-GB

Go there, install ubuntu plugin for your 32-bit or 64-bit system then restart Firefox to enable... Enjoy voice/video chatting to your google buddies

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345