Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

Beans

Re: How To: Alps touchpad on 2.6.10 Hoary

just a quick tip:

when applying the kenel patch you might want to actually become root by doing the following:

Code:
    sudo su
    that will keep you logged in as root. when trying to apply the patches just using sudo, it gave me permission denied. using sudo su will fix this.

Beans

Maybe decrease the sensitivity in Linux? This would be the FingerLow/FingerHigh numbers. LockedDrags aren't on, are they?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGodfrey
    It would seem as if there is a problem with the dual-pointer. I always have the nipple one disabled in windows so know I need to find out how to do that in Linux.....
    Some BIOSes have an option to disable one or the other.

Beans

Not this BIOS, I can only disable the mouse completely.

Beans

gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/xorg-driver-synaptics/alps.patch.gz - | sudo patch -p1

I'm not an expert and don't completely understand what all of the commands are doing, but from my basic knowledge of the command line I assume that the dash (-) after .....alps.patch.gz is a typo.

Just so I don't lead any poor suckers astray, somebody want to confirm this?

Aaron

Beans

Right. It actually won't hurt anything, which is why I didn't notice it before. The warning just goes to stderr, not stdout, which is what gets piped to patch. I'll edit the post.

Beans

For the record, it **almost** works on my Toshiba Satellite 2400.

I get a pointer, but it just jumps randomly on the screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pardasaniman
    For the record, it **almost** works on my Toshiba Satellite 2400.

I get a pointer, but it just jumps randomly on the screen.
    To add a bit to the list of things that are necessary to get the ALPS touchpad going on a (Toshiba) laptop. In addition to all of the above, including the editing of xorg.conf according to what is listed in the ALPS patch I had to add "Corepointer" after my "Touchpad" (or whatever you named your device) as follows in xorg.conf.

InputDevice "Touchpad" "CorePointer"

I found this in some other forum a couple of weeks ago and it didn't work (as I didn't have the patch at that time) so I commented it out of my xorg.conf. When I booted up after doing the patch and changing my xorg.conf my mouse didn't work so I used the hotkeys to get to xorg.conf and decided what the hell and tried uncommenting the "Corepointer" and voila, CTRL-ALT-Backspace and my ALPS has finally been found!!! I can use Photoshop and Gimp!

I do have another problem though in that after grub my screen goes completely blank until X starts up. I checked my menu.lst file and the alps kernel startup options are the same as what I had before for my 686 kernel. Any guesses as to what I did to make my kernel not be able to display in text mode? I have the vga=771 option set.

Aaron

Beans

In addition, it appears that the tapping only partially functions with this alps driver. Double tapping does not seem to work. According to this newsgroup here that I found through google apparently the hardware support for tapping is disabled meaning that the ALPS pad can't distinguish between two quick taps, i.e. double clicking doesn't work by tapping. Some kind of patch is included on the forum, but it appears that it is for the 2.6.11 kernel. Has anybody gotten the ALPS touchpad to work and as well have the ability to double click using tapping?
    I'm thinking (hoping) maybe I'm wrong on this and just have to work out the values better in xorg.conf.

Aaron

Beans

Hello,
    I've tried to apply your tip to get my alps touchpad working but it doesn't work more . As I say in another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25110), I only managed to get that touchpad working by going back to kernel 2.6.8 . By trying your method, I have the same results as before (my keyboard doesn't work until I press many times the PrtScr or Shift key, and only the usb mouse works).
    If you think there is despite all another new method to get that touchpad working, tell me and i'll try it.
    Thank you very much for the tip,
    Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo Jones; May 21st, 2005 at 05:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast