Thread: adding a font using nautilus and make it available to all users

Beans

adding a font using nautilus and make it available to all users

NOTE: You should be able to cut and paste the terminal commands below except that you need to modify the terminal command for step 4 by replacing user_name with your actual user name. Make sure you include the "&" at the end of some of the commands. This allows you to open multiple instances of nautilus from the same terminal. Also, the font in this example was downloaded from: http://www.muq.org/david/tempus.htm

1. Open a terminal.

Applications/Accessories/Terminal

2. Now lets navigate from your user's home folder to the user's Desktop.
    cd Desktop.

3. Unzip the font you downloaded to your desktop. In this example we will use Tempus Sans ITC.
    unzip tempsitc.zip

4. As root open nautilus at the desktop folder where you unzipped the font.
    sudo nautilus /home/user_name/Desktop &

You should now see a font file with an icon named something like TEMPSITC.TTF.

5. As root open another instance of nautilus in the fonts location.
    sudo nautilus fonts: &

6. Drag the TEMPSITC.TTF icon (from your first nautilus instance) to the fonts location(in your second nautilus instance).

7. Now reload the fonts cache so you can use font immediately and you are done (be patient this may take a while).
    sudo fc-cache -f -v
    Last edited by rioguia; November 4th, 2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: The comment "You should now see a font file with an icon ..." was out of sequence in first edit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: adding a font using nautilus and make it available to all users

Ty for this info, now I know how to install the 634 fonts I sent myself at work on the ubuntu desktop publishing system I'm working on. hehe

I've been too lazy for the last two weeks to look into it. =)