Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Feisty Fawn

Beans

Re: The Feisty Fawn

hardware software + nicer graphical interface = new amazed and satisfied users like me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    I still wish there was a single "exe" installer, iso files are far too complex for most users. Instlux and/or andlinux is the way to go.

http://instlux.sourceforge.net/
    http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux
    Ok maybe a exe installer is hard/dangerous. But what about a install wizard: Install Ubuntu.exe and a nice wizard will popup asking you to insert a blank CD and automatically burning it, after burning it maybe do a check on the contents and reboot? Including a open source cd-burner in a wizard wouldn't be to hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1. Hardware support -YES!

2. Integrated networking tools - setup and administer SOHO/school networks from some sort of GUI command centre. Something that makes SAMBA less impenetrable.

3. MBR backup/restore function so that windows users can feel a little safer.

4. Better documentation.

5. Keep escalating the "state of being" adjective - Hoary becomes Breezy becomes Dapper becomes Edgy becomes Feisty becomes .... "Inspired Impala"? - I'd say "Immaculate" but I think perfection should probably wait for a few releases.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bastiegast View Post
    Ok maybe a exe installer is hard/dangerous. But what about a install wizard: Install Ubuntu.exe and a nice wizard will popup asking you to insert a blank CD and automatically burning it, after burning it maybe do a check on the contents and reboot? Including a open source cd-burner in a wizard wouldn't be to hard.
    I still do not understand why an installer would be so dangerous. But I agree, that would be a big improvement. We could simply create a single .exe package bundling iso+isoburner and that would be a major improvement for many windows users... It would still be less than ideal because people with no burner and/or with bios set-up to boot from HD would be left out, but a major improvement nevertheless. HW checking would also be very helpful, it would shape expectations before beginning the installation, and suggest possible solutions, but that should probably be on the live-cd.
    Last edited by ago; October 23rd, 2006 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

An exe installed would also allow you to select the kind of installation cd you wish to create, x64? PPC? Sparc? and perhaps a few other interesting options such as desktop: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu etc.

Although we should have a dmg installer too.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    An exe installed would also allow you to select the kind of installation cd you wish to create, x64? PPC? Sparc?
    I think that the installer should be mostly targeted to windows users. Mac users are a lower priority (it is a matter of numbers), and when the windows installer is ready it should be possible to find equivalent solutions in the mac world and reimplement. I doubt sparc users will have problems burning an iso.

Possibly the architecture should be detected by the Ubuntu webserver itself. So you could have a single "download" link on Ubuntu page that will lead you to the appropriate download package/mirror based on the OS/Architecture/ip you are currently using (but giving you the option to select a different architecture/mirror).

and perhaps a few other interesting options such as desktop: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu etc.
    I am of the opinion that beginners should be given very few options, or they get confused. They have a difficult time understanding that there is no "one linux", throwing at them the concept of different window managers, widget sets and desktop environments, is way too much. They can always learn about Kubuntu/Xubuntu/... later on and can easily install them on top of Ubuntu. The steps should be:

1) Click download (redirected to the appropriate file)
    2) Run the ubuntu-setup.exe
    3) Put in a blank CD when requested

The installer will do some basic checks, burn the iso, check the iso, reboot. Probably all this can be written directly with NSIS + cdrtools (or equivalent).
    Last edited by ago; October 23rd, 2006 at 11:11 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567