Thread: Zsnes brightness issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Zsnes brightness issues

I have an odd problem when I play ROMs in Zsnes.

The game starts out looking fine, but after about 15 minutes the screen starts to become darker and darker, until it looks like I have the gamme turned down way, way low. After being very dark for about a minute the screen then suddenly switches back it the brightness level it started out with. After another 15 minutes it happens again.

I have made several changes to the video settings in Zsnes, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I'm using a Compaq Evo N410c laptop, and this only happens when I run it on battery. the 15-minute interval is not consistent with the power-saving settings.

This is a bit annoying, mainly because the screen becomes so dark that I can barely see what I am doing. And yes, it happens in every rom I have installed.

/Mimsy
    February 2010: Back after two years of Ubuntu hiatus!
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Java server of choice: Large French Press

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Zsnes brightness issues

Mimsy,

When engaged in a long session of Chrono Trigger, I find it helps to just turn off the screensaver. If I don't, the screen will start to fade, and my hand jumps out and I frantically shake the mouse before it loads the screensaver. Maybe this is what's happening to you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OOOH! The screensaver is set to 15 minutes! Of course, that makes perfect sense!

I will turn off the screensaver next time I play Zelda, and see how that goes.

/Mimsy
    I'm practically starting over, and trying to catch up. Please be patient with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That was it. I turned off the screensaver and played for an hour without any darkness problems.

Thanks again.

/Mimsy