Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

It would be nice to see these ambasitors moving questions and threads about specific software to the bug reports (either sourceforge bugs or bugzilla or ubuntu thingy wottsit dev pages they must have a bug thingy right?) so the devs can keep track of clean bug reports. they can also see a link to the forum thread/posting that the issue has been raised in.

To be honest these forums lack the ability to close a thread once the issues have been dealt with. if the icon could be changed in the Hardware Help or General Support by either certain users or by anyone who has been registered for long enough that would go a long way to being able to anwser all queries. lord knows I can't anwser them all.

Beans

laserjock,

what you mentioned in your 3rd paragraph about "summaries" is pretty much the basic idea of the ambassador concept. We would basically start out with a thread asking for suggestions on something, and then an ambassador would comb through the hundreds of posts, and sift out the good ideas.

the good ideas would then be put up on polls, and the top contenders would go to the developers. at least i think this is how aysiu wanted to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    To be honest these forums lack the ability to close a thread once the issues have been dealt with.
    The ability for users (not just moderators) to mark threads as solved as been proposed many times, but it's never been implemented, as far as I know:
    "Issue resolved" option?
    REQUEST: ability to modify thread title to reflect a problem resolution
    Marked as resolved.
    Can a title of a post be edited?
    Editing thread titles
    How do you mark something Solved?
    Changing thread name
    Solved problems sub-forum?
    Finding solutions to problems: the easy way

Beans

interesting coincidence, because i was just thinking about this a couple of days ago.

but then I remembered the time that they started tagging threads with "Ubuntu" or "Kubuntu" or "Xubuntu". someone told me that this function was removed because it was ineffecient, and they couldn't get search filters to properly work with them. so i imagine it would be similar if a "Solved" tag was attached

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    interesting coincidence, because i was just thinking about this a couple of days ago.

but then I remembered the time that they started tagging threads with "Ubuntu" or "Kubuntu" or "Xubuntu". someone told me that this function was removed because it was ineffecient, and they couldn't get search filters to properly work with them. so i imagine it would be similar if a "Solved" tag was attached
    It doesn't have to be a tag. It could just be the word solved in the thread title. Then when you did an advanced search, you could search for
    Code:
    thunderbird default solved
    or
    Code:
    sudo timeout solved

Beans

creative workaround. yeah that would definitely be useful.

but for some reason I think users may not adhere to the standard. and having mods go around retitling threads would be a pain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    but for some reason I think users may not adhere to the standard. and having mods go around retitling threads would be a pain.
    I used to be a mod, and I don't remember it being that much of a pain, actually...

Beans

well i guess that depends on how many users forget to label their threads solved hehe.

Beans
    Hidden!

As the person who replied to Matt on the ubuntu-devel mailing list and suggested the "BridgingUbuntu" idea, I'm pleased to see discussion taking place.

I notice though, that nobody has edited the wiki page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BridgingUbuntu

I'd like to suggest that if forum members want to participate in a wider community discussion outside the forums, contributing ideas on that page would help to "Bridge the gap"

As noted elsewhere in this thread, many community members do not normally use the forums. For the forum members' voices to be heard, it helps if they also participate in other communication channels, rather than only discussing how the forum community might act.

I will post my suggestion to the Sounder list and ubuntu-users list with a reference to this thread - but please do add your remarks to the wiki page as a central point of reference.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Garrett; September 12th, 2006 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

thanks peter,

my hands are a little full right now...ap psychology and whatnot for school. but if it hasn't been done by tomorrow afternoon, i'll put it up.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast