Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 106

Thread: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    894

    Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    The wiki page:

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BridgingUbuntu

    The mailing list post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Garrat/Matt Zimmerman@ubuntu-devel
    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:57:06 -0700
    Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> wrote:

    > > There is an unfortunate communication gap between the forums and other
    > > communication channels such as IRC and the mailing lists, and I would like
    > > to find a way to address it. Grieving over this fact doesn't help, but I am
    > > always open to hearing *constructive* ideas about how to promote better
    > > communication within the project.

    I don't have an answer of my own, but I think this is an important issue
    for Ubuntu.

    As a tentative first step I have created

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BridgingUbuntu

    As a place holder for discussion of communication, and a place to air
    grievances and/or suggest solutions.

    There is no bug tracker for internal community communication bugs, as far
    as I know

    This is not directly on topic for -devel of course, but I have sent it in
    answer to Matt's post.

    If this is seen as a good idea, I will post to -users and sounder.

    Peter
    Last edited by aysiu; October 18th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CT - MA - NY, U.S.
    Beans
    1,619

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    certainly a good move...matt is absolutely right. the difference is simply too huge.

    however some distance is needed...because if they're too close, the dev's will be flooded by requests from the community. there needs to be a way to find a compromise within the two. maybe the developers should drop in on the forums a couple of times a month and just say "hey whats shakin'?" to get some words flowing back and forth....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    How about we have ambassadors from the forums to the devs?

    A few 500-post discussions with some accompanying well-crafted polls and then one or two resulting proposals brought to the developers...?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CT - MA - NY, U.S.
    Beans
    1,619

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    How about we have ambassadors from the forums to the devs?

    A few 500-post discussions with some accompanying well-crafted polls and then one or two resulting proposals brought to the developers...?
    sounds interesting; how would you go about organizing such a feat? by that I mean, there are going to be thousands of "ideas"...how are they going to be narrowed down? There's just an excess of input

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    894

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    As I posted to the ubuntu-devel list, Gentoo already have a "user representative" system.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    sounds interesting; how would you go about organizing such a feat? by that I mean, there are going to be thousands of "ideas"...how are they going to be narrowed down? There's just an excess of input
    Well, the ambassadors would have to distill and agree on what the community has "agreed on." That can be a little tough, but...

    1. Most "ideas" are not practical at all and, thus, are not really ideas. For example, a frustrated new user saying "Ubuntu needs better wireless support." Gee, thanks. How does Ubuntu do that?

    2. Threads that discuss an ideas ad nauseum usually have only one or two real proposals. For example, the whole CNR thing had hundreds of posts, but the only distinct ideas were: A) Include an easy link to install CNR, B) Make CNR the default Ubuntu package manager, C) Don't include CNR in any way. Not all of the hundreds of posts were offering hundreds of unique ideas.

    3. There are people who actually read all the posts in a given thread, no matter how long the thread is.

    Get a couple of dedicated readers, a couple of people who speak the devs' language, and have them bring a proposal on behalf of forum users.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CT - MA - NY, U.S.
    Beans
    1,619

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Well, the ambassadors would have to distill and agree on what the community has "agreed on." That can be a little tough, but...

    1. Most "ideas" are not practical at all and, thus, are not really ideas. For example, a frustrated new user saying "Ubuntu needs better wireless support." Gee, thanks. How does Ubuntu do that?

    2. Threads that discuss an ideas ad nauseum usually have only one or two real proposals. For example, the whole CNR thing had hundreds of posts, but the only distinct ideas were: A) Include an easy link to install CNR, B) Make CNR the default Ubuntu package manager, C) Don't include CNR in any way. Not all of the hundreds of posts were offering hundreds of unique ideas.

    3. There are people who actually read all the posts in a given thread, no matter how long the thread is.

    Get a couple of dedicated readers, a couple of people who speak the devs' language, and have them bring a proposal on behalf of forum users.
    haha i always do that (read all the posts), even if it takes me an hour.

    sounds like a good plan...its worth putting into action, at least.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    haha i always do that (read all the posts), even if it takes me an hour.
    Any chance you'd want to be one of those ambassadors...?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    4,848

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    I agree that the ambassadors idea is really the only sensible way to get through this.

    It couldn't be too hard for a little test, say one of the devs gets given a little group of say 3 people or so to scour the forums for ideas in the dev's particular area. See what the dev thinks of the way his ambassadors work.

    It isn't exactly like this system has to be implemented widescale immediately, and i'm sure that one of the devs will be nice enough to agree if someone asks nicely
    Last edited by PriceChild; September 11th, 2006 at 10:00 PM.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CT - MA - NY, U.S.
    Beans
    1,619

    Re: Bridging Ubuntu. Ideas for communications between devs and users

    if you really want, i have no problem with doing it. I'd probably read it regardless of whether i was an ambassador or not.


    But in all fairness, there's probably better candidates than myself that have been Ubuntu-ing a lot longer than myself. I have no problem with doing it though. the project is interesting enough

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •