Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Dapper, Edgy, Feisty and Gutsy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopworks View Post
    Well, I thought of that, because I did the recommended line (optional, iffy)
    Code:
    ./configure --disable-realdevice --enable-ethernet --disable-ipv6 --enable-fullscreen --without-esd --without-oss --without-resid --with-x
    for the ./configure.
    Hmm. Maybe I should take that out. It has been working perfectly for me, but I wouldn't want that to be the cause of problems.

So, I went and did it again without doing that, but maybe I should have removed everything before I compiled again??
    Yes, you should probably delete the entire folder that you decompressed from the tarball, and uncompress it for a clean start. I know you can also

Code:
    make clean
    to start fresh, but I sometimes suspect it's not really "cleaning" up as much as I would want. Start with a fresh folder, and try ./configure with no flags on it.

Thanks for your time, and others that made this old dream come back alive for me.
    No problem! I'm sure once this little problem gets ironed out, it's going to be smooth sailing.

PS. Is there a thread here where people can post their VIC20/C64/C128 experiences? If not, I'd like to start one.
    Not that I've seen, but if you wanted, you could probably start one somewhere. Link to it from here, so people know they can share their war stories there. ...

EDIT: My god, I just looked and sure enough, there is a 6510 chip still in my device cabinet. WOW! hehehehe
    Lucky you! That might be worth a little money these days. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

thanks for the howto. i used to play pitstop 2, i ownd a copy of it, so i just installed VICE and got pitstop2.t64. is there anywhere on the internet that tells you how to run a t64 file?? i can't find it.

i can't believe every single person that's ever used VICE just knows how to run it so that's why it doesn't say anything about it on the internet when i played it i loaded it on a cassette recorder, but i can't do that with a *.t64
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans

OMG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Heh, looks like you got it working.

Tape images should be loadable through the click menu ... I think it's "load a tape image" or something like that.

Usually I try to use disk images; I always, always hated that tape drive.

Beans

Downloaded this off the repository (ver.1.20-2), but when I type x64 into a terminal I get -

Code:
    Set fontpath: `xset fp+ /usr/lib/vice/fonts'.
    *** VICE Version 1.20 ***

Welcome to x64, the free portable C64 Emulator.

Current VICE team members:
    A. Boose, D. Lem, T. Biczo, A. Dehmel, T. Bretz, A. Matthies,
    M. Pottendorfer, M. Brenner, S. Trikaliotis, M. van den Heuvel.

This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    See the "About VICE" command for more info.

X11: Found 24bit visual.
    C64MEM: Error - Couldn't load kernal ROM `kernal'.
    Machine initialization failed.

Exiting...
    What can I do?

Yes, that error means you haven't got the kernels installed. You have to search the Web for them and put them in the proper directories. I can't help you with that.

On the other hand, you could uninstall the repository version and compile it from the source code, which will solve your problem.
    Last edited by K.Mandla; November 29th, 2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Typo.

Beans

hi guys

firstly, thanks for the guide, the closest I have came to linux is compiling eggdrop bots.... :/

as a proud owner of a ps3 with vice installed on it now, has anyone here got the sound to work on it? I know the sound works in Ubuntu on the PS3 a it make noises all the time, however, I cant get the sound to work in vice. If anyone drops by here who does get it to work.....help ?

I <3 my SID chip

Have you tried different sound settings from within VICE? It's possible the program is trying to generate sounds that are unusual for that hardware.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I don't know enough about PS3s to make a very good suggestion. Sorry.

Beans

got it working

there was an alsa library of some kind missing

I made a post on the psubuntu forums explaining what I did if any PS3 owners come across this post

http://psubuntu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1740

Beans

Configure Keyboard Set with v1.22

Thank you so much for the instructions on getting VICE up and running under Ubuntu. I only have one issue-- where do you go to configure your keyboard set? I can't seem to find it under the menu (right or left click mouse).

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast