Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Dapper, Gutsy, Hardy and Intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by proevofanatik View Post
    im using linux mint ant ive installed vice through the package manager. but i dont see it in the game section in the menu button on the bottom left hand of the sceen. do i need to use come kind of command line to load it up all the time? or can i create a shortcut to my desktop?
    Beats me. You should probably ask the 'Mint folks where it is supposed to reside to make sure you're not working around a bug.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

I've updated the howto only slightly for the Jaunty release. Ubuntu 9.04 works fine with the tutorial as it is.

(That's with the Gnome user interface enabled; the instructions as they stand only call for the xaw-based interface.)

Enjoy!

Beans

i'm having trouble saving my programs in VICE c128 mode.

i am running VICE on a HP Pavilion dv4000, running Hardy Heron. in my ~/.vice/vicerc, i first defined FSDevice8Dir="/home/adalia/bin/vice/c128", a directory i had created. i tried to save a program by typing DSAVE"programname", and it gave me a device not present error.

i then went back into the vicerc file and defined FSDevice8Dir=".". i fired up VICE again, wrote another sample program and ran DSAVE"programname". the screen output:

SAVING 0: PROGRAMNAME
    READY

then, i typed DIRECTORY to see if it saved, and it didn't list any files. there just printed a blank line, and then READY. sure enough, i listed the directory that it was supposed to save in, and there were no files in the directory.

i'm wondering...what am i doing wrong?

thank you for your help;

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie6502 View Post
    Thanks for the info. However I did have some issues running vice on my laptop.

The problem was mainly with the joystick options, it seemed that you couldn't define your own keyset and I couldn't get the other two keysets to work. As my laptop doesn't have a number pad I could not use that option either.

The solution I found was to run "./configure --enable-gnomeui" after making and installing there is now the option to define your own keys under Settings>Joystick settings>Define keysets

I hope this helps any laptop users like myself with this or similar problems with the joystick options.
    I'm having this same problem - and most games require a joystick in one way or another.

I tried Frankie's advice to configure with --enable-gnomeui, but I got this error message:

Code:
    checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
    and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    I tried to find a package named gtk+-2.0 (or something similar) in Synaptic but couldn't find one.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04... Any thoughts or any other info you need?

Quote Originally Posted by richard270384 View Post
    I'm having this same problem - and most games require a joystick in one way or another.

I tried Frankie's advice to configure with --enable-gnomeui, but I got this error message:

Code:
    checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
    and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    I tried to find a package named gtk+-2.0 (or something similar) in Synaptic but couldn't find one.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04... Any thoughts or any other info you need?
    If I recall correctly, you'll need the libgtk2.0-dev package in order to get that working under the Gnome UI. To be honest, I would recommend installing gnome-core-devel instead, since it's probably going to require more than just the GTK2.0 development files.

But a +1 to the Gnome-based interface, for ease of adjusting the joystick settings. It's a shame the xaw version doesn't also have that option. ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    If I recall correctly, you'll need the libgtk2.0-dev package in order to get that working under the Gnome UI. To be honest, I would recommend installing gnome-core-devel instead, since it's probably going to require more than just the GTK2.0 development files.

But a +1 to the Gnome-based interface, for ease of adjusting the joystick settings. It's a shame the xaw version doesn't also have that option. ...
    I installed gnome-core-devel and it works fine now. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

K.Mandla you a life saver. i did as you said copyed the code and now im playing all the old c64 games i loved so much.
    cheers mate

It's more than 3 years old, but the how-to still works. This is Ubuntu 9.10 and VICE 2.2.

Enjoy!

Re: HOWTO: Compile VICE in Dapper and Edgy

I've tried four or five times now to build VICE 2.2 in Lucid, but I hit the same error each time. Here are the final lines from the make command, so you can compare it with yours.
    Code:
    x11video.c:268: warning: function declaration isn’t a prototype
    x11video.c: In function ‘shmhandler’:
    x11video.c:348: error: ‘X_ShmAttach’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    x11video.c:348: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    x11video.c:348: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[7]: *** [x11video.o] Error 1
    make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[7]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw'
    make[6]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw'
    make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11'
    make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch/unix'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src/arch'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kmandla/Downloads/vice-2.2/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

real	1m49.583s
    user	2m40.754s
    sys	0m14.309s
    I will do a little more research and see if there is a patch or a fix somewhere; more than likely something was updated in a core library that interferes with VICE's compilation, and it will be adjusted on one or the other side. Stay tuned. ...

Beans

@K.Mandla

I've a work-arround for this issue.

1. open vice-2.2/src/arch/unix/x11/xaw/x11video.c

with you favorite editor

2. goto line 348 and replace X_ShmAttach by 1

3. save, close and compile

First I tried to include shmproto.h but this didn't do it. Compliler tells me this file would'nt exist, but it does. So I commented out my own include again.

Just looking out the value for X_ShmAttach in the shmproto.h file and replacing it in x11video.c by 1 (as defined in shmproto.h) does the trick. Vice compiles probably.

regards.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast